FORUMS: list search recent posts

IoHD newbie

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Beazley
IoHD newbie
on Aug 28, 2008 at 7:45:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I am going to be putting our new Mac Pro IoHD system together next week and was wondering a few things about the new system that could be gotchas! To begin, I already own a Dual G5 with a Io LA, so I am pretty versed in the way AJA + FCS does things.

My first question has to do with uncompressed SD capture...does the IoHD do uncompressed 10bit or is everything handled by the ProRes format?

AJA did not recommend using the FW800 G-RAIDs I already have so I have purchased the G-Speed ES system + the PCIe eSATA card; initial size is 2TB, should I do a RAID 1 or just stick to RAID 0 until I get more storage space? I doubt I will be doing a ton of HD work, but we wanted to be ready.

My plan for monitoring video is to hook the IoHD to a 32" LCD TV (although it isn't native 1920x1080p) will this pose a problem? Should I just suck it up and get a 1080p monitor? Considering that HD will probably not happen all that much, I think the 32" will suffice - it is a Samsung brand; basically a consumer model (not ideal but it is what I have available without spending more $$$). Hook up would be HDMI. Audio would be monitored just like my IoLA hooked into a mixer analog to my audio monitors.

Most of my captures will be from DVCAM and BetaSP, so I am considering requesting the SDI card for our DSR1500a. Although I am not against doing the DVCAM through FW as I have been, although I would need another PCIe card (or I could just stick to the older system for SD capture).

I am excited about the new system; AJA has been great for me so far; basically I have little to no problems with the IoLA and expect t he same from the IoHD.

-mark

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: IoHD newbie
on Aug 28, 2008 at 8:43:55 pm

[Mark Beazley] "does the IoHD do uncompressed 10bit or is everything handled by the ProRes format?"

you can capture SD content into any format FCP supports, HD content can only be recorded as ProRes.

"AJA did not recommend using the FW800 G-RAIDs I already have"
Aja recommends that IF you use FW devices, they be on a separate bus to assure data thru-put.

"should I do a RAID 1 or just stick to RAID 0 until I get more storage space? "

RAID 1 is a secure backup but you loose 50% of the total volume of the array= I recommend RAID 3 or 5 of possible.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Aug 28, 2008 at 9:04:24 pm

My plan for monitoring video is to hook the IoHD to a 32" LCD TV (although it isn't native 1920x1080p) will this pose a problem? Should I just suck it up and get a 1080p monitor? Considering that HD will probably not happen all that much, I think the 32" will suffice - it is a Samsung brand; basically a consumer model (not ideal but it is what I have available without spending more $$$). Hook up would be HDMI. Audio would be monitored just like my IoLA hooked into a mixer analog to my audio monitors.

Why not make an easier setup with that tv. Output HDMI into your theater receiver via HDMI and assign audio through FCP and the IOHD?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
Audio monitoring
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:58:56 am

I will not be having a home theater style receiver near this. I basically have a 16ch mixer + some Tannoy studio monitors.

-mark

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Sep 2, 2008 at 9:28:39 am

Ok some more questions...I finally got wired up last night even though my MacPro is in transit... started playing around using my MacBook Pro.

What exactly are the "de-facto" standard frame rates for the various flavors of HD? There are so many options, but I would like to at least make sequence defaults for the most common ones. I also noticed that that HD to SD down convert only works on certain frame rates that equal or double 29.97; which makes sense but seems odd to me; I would assume that the AJA would do any pulldown frame rate conversion as well.

I also have a RAID question; currently I have been using G-RAIDs for all my SD stuff on the G5 IoLA setup and have not lost a thing over the course of 4 years. Seeing how the G-RAIDs are RAID 0; should I just use RAID 0 on the G-SPEED es for the new system or go for the RAID 5? I only ordered a 2TB sized model, which would still give fairly decent storage (at least for anything I do) @ ProRes data rates even if it dropped to 1.5TB.

One more thing; since HD is new to me; do I really need a GEN10? I did not know anything about tri-level sync, so I did not really have this budgeted into the system.... grrr... I don't imagine I will be doing a ton of HD work and if I do, I will probably get to choose the frame size and frame rate myself.

-mark

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Sep 4, 2008 at 4:34:12 pm

Nobody to chime in??? I did a RAID 5 on the array, but I still have the HD questions.

-mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]