FORUMS: list search recent posts

aja serial problems

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aaron martinez
aja serial problems
on Aug 19, 2008 at 12:44:32 pm

hello, i am working on a mac pro 8 core, with 16 gb RAM and a sonnet with a 2 TB mirrired raid...

i believe we have FCP 6.04 working on leopard...

i cannot get control of the HD cam deck plugged into the AJA IO HD. i havnt really worked with the aja so i do not know what i have wrong...the aja is plugged into the mac with the firewire 800. the deck is plugged into the aja with a SDI and the remote cable.

i open FCP and do the easy set up for aja PAL pro res HQ, but i do not get control of the deck. i get picture and sound, no problem...

i go to system prefs and the aja serial option says no connection, i click on connect and it searches and searrches and after a few seconds, 30 or so seconds, it give me an error message and i cannot continue... i do not know what i need to do to get this thing working...

i know the deck works we used it to apture with the avid dx, so the cable should also be fine...

i would appreciate any help...

aaron

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: aja serial problems
on Aug 19, 2008 at 1:28:01 pm

[aaron martinez] "i cannot get control of the HD cam deck plugged into the AJA IO HD."

confirm you have a good 9 pin serial cable and it connected properly to the deck

that the deck is set to "remote"

that you are using the correct fcp settings for the IoHD.

you are running the correct version of the software for your FCP/ Computer setup.

SYSTEM prefs will do nothing for you here.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

aaron martinez
on Aug 19, 2008 at 2:02:06 pm

thanks for the reply...

the 9pin works, we tested it on an avid dx and it captured fine, we then connected it to the aja and did not get control...

i do not know how to set this deck to remote...it is a playerr and not a player recorder combo...but we have not switched to remote when we have captured with the avid...but that could be our problem...

i started with the easy setup...PAL 25 fps, apple pro res. i then when to the control settings for the external devices and adjusted the deck name to the Sony J-H3. we also tried other settings but were unsuccessful...

we are on FCP 6.0.4, i do not know waht other software you are refering to...i have donwloaded the new aja drivers and will try them now...

i have read in other threads on the cow thet such a problem occures when the aja is not connected in the network setting in system prefs...

on my machine the aja serial is unconnected in system prefs network... that is why i thought the problem could be there...

maybe that helps clear things up a bit...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 19, 2008 at 3:03:31 pm

Aaron-

In order for the ioHD to work properly, your computer needs to be the last thing powered up. Restart your computer and try again.

Make sure there are no other fw devices on your computer. If you have other fw devices, you need to separate them from the system bus with a PCI card.

After restarting, reset your easy setup. Make sure to choose the AJA ioHD PAL Apple ProResHQ easy setup by hitting control-q.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 19, 2008 at 8:28:44 pm

Hello -
I know what the problem is (maybe). You are thinking of this as an AVID, that has specific VTR Protocol (like the Deck Config menu in the AVID settings). You are not familiar with the AJA product line, FCP, or the AJA Control Panel, or AJA VTR XChange. You are going to have to FORGET AVID for right now, and think about learing these new products and menu stuctures, like VTR XChange, and AJA Control Panel. (you say NO NO, I am too busy, I just want this to work).

YOU WRITE -
the 9pin works, we tested it on an avid dx and it captured fine, we then connected it to the aja and did not get control...

REPLY - you tested the pin on an AVID DX - these products use either a Keyspan USA-28X dual serial adaptor on a MAC with a special 8 pin DIN to 9 pin RS422 cable, or if you have the PC AVID DX product, an Addenda or DataMate RS232 to RS422 converter, so I DONT KNOW HOW you tested your 9 pin RS422 cable on your AVID DX, since there is no direct connection.

YOU WRITE -

i started with the easy setup...PAL 25 fps, apple pro res. i then when to the control settings for the external devices and adjusted the deck name to the Sony J-H3. we also tried other settings but were unsuccessful...

REPLY - all you need to do is select an EASY SETUP that corresponds to what you are doing. I dont' know if you are working in HD or SD, but lets say AJA I/O HD ProRes422 PAL 1080i 25. You DO NOT need to go into the Audio/Video settings to MANUALLY set for a JH-3 - it will autodefault to Sony RS422 protocol. If you simply select an EASY SETUP that corresponds to a standard setup (like 1080i), a Sony VTR RS422 protocol will AUTOMATICALLY be selected for you. You DO NOT need to go into any other menus to manually select a VTR protocol (like Sony J-H3).

YOU WRITE -
we are on FCP 6.0.4, i do not know waht other software you are refering to...i have donwloaded the new aja drivers and will try them now...

REPLY -
The software drivers he is refering to are the AJA I/O HD drivers that you MUST DOWNLOAD from the AJA website at http://www.aja.com, under SUPPORT for the I/O HD. You DO NOT use the CD that came with the I/O HD (in the same way that you DO NOT use the AVID DVD that comes with the Nitris DX or Mojo DX). You always DOWNLOAD from the companies website.

i have read in other threads on the cow thet such a problem occures when the aja is not connected in the network setting in system prefs...

REPLY - there are many variables with all of these systems. When you first launch the System Preferences Network settings, it will detect a new serial port, but there is nothign for you to set or change in this menu.

on my machine the aja serial is unconnected in system prefs network... that is why i thought the problem could be there...

REPLY - I urge you to download the new drivers, and load them from the AJA site. Then go to the AJA Utilities folder, and launch AJA VTR Xchange. This will be a very simple program that will allow you to control your VTR with RS422 control, without using FCP. This will test the AJA I/O HD RS422 VTR control, without the zillions of variables and menus that you have in FCP. If you can't get it to run in AJA VTR XChange, you will never get it to run in FCP (even if your menus are setup correctly !).

Please remember that when you setup an AVID DX for the first time, you have no VTR control. You have to go into Deck Config, select a port (DIRECT or COMM1), and then assign a VTR (which you can do with "Autoconfigure"). The AVID just doesn't start working without a setup as well.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]