FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA io no composite signal

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Callac
AJA io no composite signal
on Jul 30, 2008 at 3:37:53 pm

We've got our old AJA io hooked up to a dual 800 G4 running FCP 4. It's not one of our main suites so it doesn't see much use. Recently we tried capturing something over the composite feed and there isn't a signal. The other inputs work fine, but the composite signal just shows black. I tried cycling the power and trashing prefs and it still doesn't work. It's been a while since I was using an io so I forget if there are any other ways to trouble shoot it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-mattyc

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: AJA io no composite signal
on Jul 30, 2008 at 4:07:47 pm

[Matt Callac] " Recently we tried capturing something over the composite feed and there isn't a signal. The other inputs work fine, but the composite signal just shows black."

did you set the Io control panel to capture via the composite port?

that is not the default input - it has to be set manually.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 30, 2008 at 5:06:16 pm

[gary adcock] "did you set the Io control panel to capture via the composite port?"

No, it's an original io not an ioHD, so we don't have the control panel application. in FCP we have the capture preset set to composite.
-mattyc

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 30, 2008 at 5:59:01 pm

[Matt Callac] "No, it's an original io not an ioHD, so we don't have the control panel application. in FCP we have the capture preset set to composite.
-mattyc"

Sorry but that is NOT correct - even the early SD only Io's had a control panel

Here is the link for the version listed on the AJA web site.
http://www.aja.com/ajashare/ProIO_ControlPanel_v1.2.zip

to quote the AJA web site

Io/IoLA/IoLD Driver Software

The v3.0 Io/IoLA/IoLD Driver Software listed below is Leopard compatible. Please ensure that you also use the v1.2 Io Control Panel application, since the v1.1 Control Panel was not Leopard compatible.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 30, 2008 at 6:21:50 pm

But the control panel is NOT needed for an io to work properly. I loaded composite/component/SDI on this very io for 3 years.

I went ahead and downloaded the control panel which updated the firmware on the io. In the control panel I selected composite for the video input and it shows that there is no video.

Also now when I'm in final cut and open log and capture window, I get the Preview Disabled screen over color bars. Before It was just showing black video.

Is there anything else you know I could try?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 30, 2008 at 11:27:01 pm

[Matt Callac] "Is there anything else you know I could try?"

lets go thru the list.

No other FW devices attached to the computer.

your sure you have a clean composite signal
the cable is good

what FCP/ OS and QT versions.

what machine

no other competing products on the same machine (other codecs?)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 31, 2008 at 3:58:18 pm

[gary adcock] "No other FW devices attached to the computer."

only the io

[gary adcock] "your sure you have a clean composite signal
the cable is good"

Sending bars from one of our digibeta decks. Checked the cable and bypassed the patch panel yesterday when we realized we weren't getting signal.

[gary adcock] "what FCP/ OS and QT versions."

FCP 4.0, QT 6.4* OSX 10.3.9

[gary adcock] "what machine"

Dual 1.42ghz G4 w/ 2GB Ram

[gary adcock] "no other competing products on the same machine (other codecs?)"

Nope, only aja ones.

*after having problems with this set up running QT7 we had to move back to v6.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 31, 2008 at 5:09:27 pm

[Matt Callac] " [gary adcock] "what FCP/ OS and QT versions."
FCP 4.0, QT 6.4* OSX 10.3.9 "

Matt

this is a WTF moment-

what you are doing with this setup is NOT GOING TO WORK.

FCP 4.0 was built for the Classic OS9 operating system and the in/out structure is not compatible with the more modern OS and QT versions you are working with. I am amazed that FCP launches at all.

There is no work around and as far as I know there is not a solution for your problem other than booting back DIRECTLY into OS 9 and using the original classic Io V2 driver.

I am absolutely amazed that this works in any way shape or form.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 31, 2008 at 5:42:43 pm

[gary adcock] "
FCP 4.0 was built for the Classic OS9 operating system and the in/out structure is not compatible with the more modern OS and QT versions you are working with. I am amazed that FCP launches at all."

You're wrong about this. From the "Before You Install Final Cut Pro" text file on the Instal disc it says this:

Software requirements
• Mac OS X v10.2.5 or later
• QuickTime 6.1 or later

FCP 3 was even capable of running on both 9.2.2 and 10.1.1.

So while it is a WTF, it's a WTF this should work properly

-mattyc

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 31, 2008 at 6:46:43 pm

[Matt Callac] "So while it is a WTF, it's a WTF this should work properly "

I disagree.

however have you even contacted AJA tech support?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 31, 2008 at 7:10:21 pm

[gary adcock] "however have you even contacted AJA tech support?"

Not yet. I was going to do that if i couldn't get it resolved via cow.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 31, 2008 at 12:01:44 am

Matt -
you test all problematic AJA products with the Control Panel.

1) Close FCP.
2) open the Pro I/O Control Panel
3) select ANALOG COMPOSITE INPUT.
4) input a source (like from a Beta VTR composite video out) into the AJA IO Video IN.
5) monitor the composite video output on a TV monitor.

DO YOU SEE A PICTURE ?

If the answer is NO, take the composite video cable from your Beta VTR, and stick it into the Y input of the IO box. Move the input tab to BETA COMPONENT. Continue to monitor the IO video output on your TV. Do YOU SEE A PICTURE (it should be in B+W if you are only using the Y channel).

If the answer is NO - STILL NO PICTURE - then plug the cable that is going into the Video input of your I/O box directly into your TV monitor, so the Beta VTR composite output goes into the TV directly.
DO YOU SEE A PICTURE ? If you do, your I/O box is dead. If you don't see a picture, then your cables or TV is dead.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 31, 2008 at 4:05:38 pm

[Bob Zelin] "1) Close FCP.
2) open the Pro I/O Control Panel
3) select ANALOG COMPOSITE INPUT.
4) input a source (like from a Beta VTR composite video out) into the AJA IO Video IN.
5) monitor the composite video output on a TV monitor.

DO YOU SEE A PICTURE ?"

Sending bars from a digibeta deck. In the control panel above the analog input it says "No Video" in red. The monitor is getting A signal, but the signal is just black and not the color bars we are sending.

[Bob Zelin] "If the answer is NO, take the composite video cable from your Beta VTR, and stick it into the Y input of the IO box. Move the input tab to BETA COMPONENT. Continue to monitor the IO video output on your TV. Do YOU SEE A PICTURE (it should be in B+W if you are only using the Y channel)."

Did this and we DO get video. Also the control panel says that it is getting a video signal. It is not however black and white. It is the color bars with a slightly muted red channel.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 31, 2008 at 9:50:53 pm

Listen Matt -
I just read thru this entire thread. If you are not running OS-X 10.4.11 or OS-X 10.5.x on a MAC G5 or a MAC Pro, with current FCP software (V 5.x or V6.x), I can't continue to assist you.

I have no idea of what is happening with your system in your configuration. I can tell you that you have WACKY things happening. When you input the composite signal into the Y input of your AJA I/O, this is a luminance channel only that only should process the B+W portion of the signal. The very fact that you are getting a COLOR signal here, makes me question your entire system.

This is not rocket science. This is all easy stuff. When you put the composite signal from your Beta into the COMPOSITE input of your I/O box, and select COMPOSITE, and you get NO SIGNAL, (it says NO VIDEO in red), it means that the I/O composite input is dead. But with your older system, I cannot diagnose anything properly. there are too many variables.

I urge you to upgrade your OS to at least 10.4.x, and your FCP software to at least 5.x, load in current AJA drivers, and test again, with ONLY the AJA Pro I/O Control Panel, AND NOT FCP. There is no point in proceeding with anything until the I/O Control Panel is working. If it's not, FCP will never work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Aug 8, 2008 at 2:09:39 pm

I called AJA last week and they sent us a new box (even though our old one was out of warranty). The composite input on the IO had died. Hooked the new one up and everything works fine. Thanks for the help you guys.
-mattyc

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 9, 2008 at 1:37:55 pm

glad this worked out for you.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]