FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Capture w/ TC through a Deck

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
Live Capture w/ TC through a Deck
on Jul 24, 2008 at 12:12:50 am

I'm trying to capture the program feed from a Multicam shoot. The feed that I'm getting is an HD-sdi signal but the TC is coming from a Deck via RS422. In FCP the only time I can get timecode to run is when the deck is in REC PAUSE, but when I try to do a capture now the capture aborts and gives me and end of tape message. Deck is in Local. When we put the deck in REMOTE it will not send TC. Device control in FCP is set to AJA IoHD 29.97 Sony VTR. I have access to Sony DBeta, 500, 2000 as well as HDCAM SR 5000 decks. (of course capture now works with non-controllable device but that is useless to me.)

Then when I try to capture with the AJA VTR Xchange I cannot get it to record with the TC.

I'm in a major studio so the deck and TC Generator are a room down the hall. They have no way to patch LTC TC.

Does anyone know how to make the deck work with FCP. or what settings are needed for AJA VTR to read RS422 TC.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Live Capture w/ TC through a Deck
on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:30:31 am

In VTR Exchange, did you go in to the prefs and change it from 'rp188 or ioHD LTC' to 'Deck'?

Also, please be aware with embedded LTC, that VTR exchange will show -:--:--:-- but after recording the tc will be in the file (play it back in vtr exchange). This will be fixed in an update. Also make sure that the deck is in fact sending embedded LTC in the menus.

Jeremy

I should add this will not work in FCP as FCP will cut off the tc when it's put in non-controllable device. And as you have found out, it won't work when it's set to a deck control preset. It is a limitation of FCP at this point.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:19:15 am

I did have the pref set to deck but I don't have LTC connected, the studio is telling me that they cannot patch a straight BNC from deck to IoHD.

So to confirm what will NOT work.

-Capturing w/ TC in FCP when the deck is in REC Pause and VTR set to local.

- AJA VTR exchange, TC is not available via RS422.

Then follow up question, "embedded" LTC, do you mean within the SDI stream? or LTC out from deck to LTC in from deck.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:28:28 am

[Michael Sacci] "Then follow up question, "embedded" LTC, do you mean within the SDI stream?"

Yep. In that case, set the pref in vtr exchange to 'rp188 or ltc'.

JG

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:33:26 am

Jeremy, once again, thanks for your insight, I don't think I tried that combo, I will when I get the studio tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:49:20 am

[Michael Sacci] "I will when I get the studio tomorrow."

Let me know how it goes. You must use VTR Exchange, though.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:37:21 pm

Embedded TC working like a charm. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:42:14 pm

[Michael Sacci] "Embedded TC working like a charm. Thanks."

No worries. Nice ain't it?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 28, 2008 at 3:29:52 am

In the end it didn't work, there must be something wrong with my laptop. Video kept glitching and all sort of weird things going on.

I did a reinstall of the OS and I will test it again when I get the SR deck to capture all the tapes. But to be safe I think I may use the Kona3 for all the capture.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 2, 2008 at 4:56:59 am

What laptop do you have and how much RAM?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 3, 2008 at 11:59:04 pm

MBP 2.16GHz Core Duo with 2 GB of ram

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 11, 2008 at 10:08:06 pm

Yep. The recommended specs are the 2.33 Ghz and as much RAM as you can.

From AJA.com:

• MacBook Pro (2.33GHz Core 2 Duo minimum), 2GB or more of system RAM, ExpressCard/34 FireWire 800 card or ExpressCard/34 Sata Controller

Good excuse to upgrade your system!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 12, 2008 at 5:14:14 pm

I know I cannot push this too hard, since it is out of spec but I think there is something wrong with the computer as a whole. Since the IoHD is doing most of the work and FCP can playback ProRes footage just fine and I just have the problem with capturing it.

But I'm not pressed to upgrade so much that I cannot wait to see what comes out in Sept (hopefully).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 12, 2008 at 5:26:31 pm

[Michael Sacci] "I know I cannot push this too hard, since it is out of spec but I think there is something wrong with the computer as a whole. Since the IoHD is doing most of the work and FCP can playback ProRes footage just fine and I just have the problem with capturing it. "

It still takes a bit of power to oush that ProRes around for display on your mac. That MBP you have might not be a Core2Duo either, it might just be the coreduo. Supposedly that 2 makes a difference.

I would wait until September too.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]