FORUMS: list search recent posts

IO HD with External Timecode Problems

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Patience
IO HD with External Timecode Problems
on Jul 18, 2008 at 1:25:16 pm

We are hoping to use 3 IO HD units to capture live studio recordings.

Each must have the same LTC timecode feed as the 3 units will record the main studio output and 2 ISO cameras.

We have a unit on test and it seems that perhaps Final Cut Pro may have a problem actually accepting an external timecode source without any deck control.

The IO 'sees' the timecode and can display it in the control panel.

The problem seems to be when trying to capture as I cant find a combination of any settings that allow me to record the clips with the timecode from the IO. It seems that it only works via RS422.

We were given an FCP plug in called disableALTETTpolling.txt which was meant to address this but not had any success.

Has anyone else worked out how to do this ?

We are using Kona software V5.12 - latest firmware.
OS X 10.5.4 and latest FCP

thanks

Neil

Return to posts index

neil patience
Re: IO HD with External Timecode Problems
on Jul 18, 2008 at 9:29:04 pm

We have since discovered that this is an FCP issue - it has no facility to use other than RS422 which rules out the neat LTC option on the IO HD.
There is a box made by Adrienne Electronics that addresses this issue by converting LTC to RS422 and becoming a 'virtual vtr' to keep FCP happy.

Should all work but its a shame having got together such a great box as the IO HD and FCP becoming a more serious player that you need to buy a little box just to make timecode work properly.

You can use VTR Exchange to capture with timecode but you get no numbers displayed while capturing and only a 5 frame per sec or so picture displayed in the capture window.

When you are in a multicamera environment sync timecode is important and
it would be nice if these apps made it a little more visible here and there.
Otherwise the IO HD is a really nice box.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: IO HD with External Timecode Problems
on Jul 19, 2008 at 8:10:25 pm

The next version of VTR Exchange which should come out pretty soon (it was previewd at NAB) will have visible timecode in the window while it's running. It's much easier to discern what's going on while doing live captures. I believe the LTC option will be enabled as well, but I could be wrong about that.

Yes, the preview capture window is choppy, so use a monitor to, well, monitor live captures, even if it's cheap one, at least you'll be able to see.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]