FORUMS: list search recent posts

How 2 Offline with IoHD and LANC Decks?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesus Ali
How 2 Offline with IoHD and LANC Decks?
on Jul 9, 2008 at 6:16:21 pm

Hello. I am setting up some student workstations for the Fall and am trying to assess what I would need to teach them a tape based Offline Workflow for Online finishing with the ProRes codec in Final Cut Pro 6.

I would like the students to start a project by Logging and Capturing their HDV footage as Offline Anamorphic HD or Anamorphic SD (the cameras and decks can auto down convert).

Then do a rough and medium cut on low end workstations or personal laptops and THEN be able to come to the high end station (Octocore Mac Pros with IoHD's) and use Final Cut's Batch Capture or Media Manager to swap out their trimmed down offline Edit Sequences with Pro Res 422 footage.

We have 6 Sony HDR-HC1 HDV cameras and two HVR-M25U HDV decks. We also have a Canon XL-H1 with HD-SDI and TC out, but I am trying to keep the XL H1 as a live studio only camera. (I really don't want it used as a deck just for the HD-SDI out.) So my questions are more for the Sony equipment.

Here's a pic of the back of the Sony deck.

The cameras and the decks each have LANC jacks.
Can the LANC be used for deck control?
Can the LANC be used for transmitting timecode?

Is it possible that LANC is implemented differently for the camera and the deck? For instance, is it probable that the LANC on the camera only controls focus and zoom and not the tape drive?

What do I need to put between the IoHD's 422 port and the Sony deck to have FCP control it best and swap out the footage clips properly? (I was looking to pull footage into the IoHD through the deck's Component Out and have the IoHD kick the clips into the MacPro as 1920x1080 Pro Res.)

I will be adding an additional firewire card to the Mac Pros for students to connect hard drives (because the IoHD takes up the original FW bus). Could that secondary FW bus take timecode and/or deck control (while the IoHD takes Component in, to avoid HDV)?

Since I would like the students to be able to do this on their own, a piece of equipment that makes the process transparent would be better than a complicated cheat with the two firewire busses.

Thanks for any advice or insight you can share.

Jesus

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How 2 Offline with IoHD and LANC Decks?
on Jul 9, 2008 at 6:31:58 pm

Hey Jesus. We covered this a while ago, but I'll mention it again:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/870049

You need the Addenda Lanc to rs422 controller called the RS4L

http://www.addenda-elect.com/controll.htm

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jesus Ali
on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:18:35 pm

Jeremy G: You need the Addenda Lanc to rs422 controller called the RS4L.

Thank you, Jeremy. I see that I did ask that already, sorry.
So, the Addenda is the hardware connector for deck control from the IoHD.

But does the connector also transfer Timecode? So the deck can tell FCP where it is in the tape?

If not, how do we transmit Timecode between the deck and the Mac to facilitate the Offline/Online file swap out with FCP?

The HVR M25U does not have SDI or TC BNC connectors. Here is a working link to a pic of the back of the deck (The last link got garbled and did not work.):
http://www.medicalvideosystems.com/Products/Storage/HDV%20Devices/HVR-M25U/...

Is anyone successfully achieving Offline/Online Batch capture with this family of decks? I know they aren't ideal, but they were purchased before my arrival and are what the students will need to work with. :(

Also, does anyone know if the Addenda can control the tape drive on a Sony HDR HC1 HDV camera through its LANC connector? Or if the connection is (likely) only for focus and zoom?

Thanks and appreciation as always.

Jesus

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:34:14 pm

[Jesus Ali] "But does the connector also transfer Timecode? So the deck can tell FCP where it is in the tape? "

It translates the timecode over the lanc connection to rs422 with deck control.

You can also control the deck through firewire as outlined in this workflow:

http://www.aja.com/pdf/support/AJA_whitepaper_HDV.pdf

Return to posts index

Jesus Ali
on Jul 11, 2008 at 2:39:28 pm

Aha! That's great to hear.
I really didn't suspect that TC could come from the deck back to FCP over LANC.

And that white paper is very interesting. I'm going to go test it out now.

Thanks Jeremy!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 11, 2008 at 2:52:07 pm

Actually, Jesus. I am smoking something today.

You can't use firewire for deck control unless you have a separate bus to plug in the deck to. You need to separate the ioHD and the deck.

It's probably best if you get the Addenda converter when using the ioHD for deck control as there will be no firewire conflicts.

Sorry about that.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]