FORUMS: list search recent posts

Io-RT at NTSC Resolution with Photo JPEG Codec?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Marshall
Io-RT at NTSC Resolution with Photo JPEG Codec?
on Jun 30, 2008 at 8:39:33 pm

Hello:

I'm working with an Io (not HD) on FCP 5.1.4, OS 10.5.3 on an 8 core x 3Ghz Intel Mac Pro.

Is it not possible to get RT filters and transitions with Photo JPEG Quicktimes at 720x486 NTSC? I can get real time functionality with 320x240 Photo JPEG Quicktimes but not with 720x486 files compressed the same way. It seems to me like working at a larger resolution shouldn't make that much of a difference with these low data rates, but who knows.

Is there a list of which codecs at which sizes offer RT functionality on the Io?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a bunch of Quicktimes of our motion graphics work compressed with the Aurora MJPEG-A codec that I used to edit our demo reels. With Aurora gone I want to convert these to something with fairly good quality but not huge files. I have a lot of stuff I've already compressed with Photo JPEG, and that codec seems to handle gradients better than DVCPro 50 and produces smaller files, but I'd really like RT functionality.

Would upgrading to FCP 6 give me the RT functionality I want?

Thank you.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Io-RT at NTSC Resolution with Photo JPEG Codec?
on Jun 30, 2008 at 11:45:43 pm

[Shawn Marshall] "Is it not possible to get RT filters and transitions with Photo JPEG Quicktimes at 720x486 NTSC? "

nope
the RT engine does not support the Photo Jepg format for RT Extreme playback.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on Jul 1, 2008 at 1:56:45 am

Hi:

Thanks for the reply.

A reply on the FCP board said the ProRes codec might work well, though I'd have to upgrade to FCP 6. Can the Io work with the ProRes codec? I'm not clear on what's handled by the software and what's handled by the hardware.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2008 at 2:40:20 am

What Gary says and as you don't have FCS2, you don't have ProRes. Yes, the io will support any codec that FCP supports in rt of which ProRes is one of them.

WHy can't you leave PJPEG as an option and simply put it in to whatever timeline you need? PJPEG is a very decent archive codec @ 100% or even 75% quality. It is also natively cross platform in Quicktime.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on Jul 1, 2008 at 3:34:20 am

Hi:

I like the quality of the Photo JPEG codec very much, but it would be nice if it had RT capabilities at NTSC size.

Right now I have a bunch of upper field first clips compressed with MJPEG-A through the Aurora Igniter card which won't work in an Intel Mac. All my existing edits use that codec and field order. My plan is to recompress those Quicktimes into a codec that will work with the Io (lower field first) and preferably be RT.

I didn't have RT functionality with the Igniter clips, so I can live without that, but if I have to change over it'd be nice to change to something that supports RT but doesn't produce huge files. DVC Pro 50 is a possibility, though it exhibits some banding on gradients.

I could upgrade to FCP 6/Final Cut Studio 2 to get ProRes 422. My concern would be that once I spend $500 to get the codec I'll find out it doesn't do a very good job with our animations.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2008 at 3:59:24 am

I'd stay away from dv50, but that's just me.

I can encode a ProRes file for you if you want to see what it looks like after the field order change.

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on Jul 1, 2008 at 5:58:13 pm

Hi:

Thanks for the offer to encode a sample with ProRes, but would I be able to view the result if I don't have the ProRes codec on my system because I don't have Final Cut Studio 2?

Shawn Marshall

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2008 at 6:58:48 pm

Mmm, there are ways. email me

editstation at gmail dot com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]