FORUMS: list search recent posts

Studio Daily Review

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Griswold
Studio Daily Review
on Jun 19, 2008 at 11:04:03 am

There was a review in Studio Daily by David Leathers a while back on the Aja ioHD. As far as I know the review was accurate, but did not put the power or versatility of the ioHD in a very good light. I was wondering what other users thought about his review.

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/technology/pvr/9429.html

George Griswold
http://www.videonow.info
New Orleans, Louisiana

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Studio Daily Review
on Jun 19, 2008 at 3:12:37 pm

He made no mention at all of taking this out into the field and doing live camera captures. To me, it's one of the greatest strengths of the ioHD. Portability.

He seems to want it to be a PCI based card, but it's not.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jun 19, 2008 at 3:24:52 pm

I think his review is pretty much right on. It should not be argued that the IOHD is the end all device. It is meant for a specific purpose and clients needs. It's not intended to replace workflows of higher end but is a Godsend that allows pro res material to be output to HDCam without huge raids and equipment costs. I love mine and would rather sink additional dollars into other equipment than to get into the higher workflow that in my applications, could still be handled with the IOHD>

Jeff

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 19, 2008 at 10:37:07 pm

I agree. When I first saw the I/O HD, I too, thought it was the "end all" product. But it's not. The bottom line is that if you need to do everything, the most powerful combination to date is the combination of the Kona 3, and the I/O. The I/O is teriffic if you have a client that is more than happy to stick with ProRes422HQ, but if they need more versatility, the Kona 3 is a better choice. And everyone knows, that no matter what we do, some client will ALWAYS walk in with a FW800 drive, and ask us to plug it in, once again, making the I/O HD not the best choice. With that said, I put in plenty of I/O HD boxes.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bill Thomas
on Jun 23, 2008 at 3:41:40 pm

[Bob Zelin] "The I/O is teriffic if you have a client that is more than happy to stick with ProRes422HQ, but if they need more versatility, the Kona 3 is a better choice"

Could you elaborate on how the Kona 3 is more versatile?

Thanks...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 23, 2008 at 3:52:15 pm

[Bill Thomas] "Could you elaborate on how the Kona 3 is more versatile? "

Dual link and it is not tied to ProRes. With the ioHD it's best to work with ProRes when capturing HD footage. If you don't want to work in ProRes, then the ioHD is probably not for you.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 23, 2008 at 5:04:54 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Dual link and it is not tied to ProRes. With the ioHD it's best to work with ProRes when capturing HD footage. If you don't want to work in ProRes, then the ioHD is probably not for you. "

Kona 3 will soon offer corrected playback for RED footage proxies to allow for 10bit ouptut via proxy usage in FCP, DPX/ RGB workflows and now realtime playback and debayer of Phantom Cine files using one or the other of the Glue Tools Apps in association with a Kona Card.

Another point people do not think about is the IoHD is 2 different devices depending on whether you are on a laptop or desktop.

On a Desktop the IoHD allows for playback of DVCPROHD, SxS, even uncompressed HD content in realtime if your hardware is fast enough to handle that data.

On a laptop your only option is to work in ProRes for everything HD.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 23, 2008 at 10:30:14 pm

Bill -
if you are using ProRes422 and ProRes422HQ, the I/O HD is your box. However if you want other formats on a regular working basis, like DVCProHD, uncompressed HD, etc., you are better off with the Kona 3 or Kona LHe. If your question is "how come there just can't be one damn box that does everything with absolutely no excuses" - well, I want to know that too. And in case you are asking - no, if you go to Blackmagic, Matrox or MOTU, there will be limitations of some type with every one of their products as well. There is one one box solution, that has no excuses.

You want a "one box solution" with no excuses - Kona 3 with AJA I/O -that's 2 boxes (and 3 if you count the K3 box for the Kona 3), but that is the best solution.

The I/O HD is teriffic, but has limitations that some people don't want to deal with.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]