FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI Capture w/DV deck control

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gene Colburn
HDMI Capture w/DV deck control
on Jun 17, 2008 at 5:26:31 am

Does anyone have this working with IOHD? We tried with second PCIe fw card controlling the deck and HDMI settings with IOHD to no avail. (tried numerous combinations of FCP and Aja settings.
One would think that there would be a way to allow an analogue capture with IEEE1394 deck control, but seems not to be.
Of course maintaining original clip time code ref is also needed.

Any thoughts?

System specs: 8 core Macpro, Gtech raid, 16g ram.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HDMI Capture w/DV deck control
on Jun 17, 2008 at 4:13:09 pm

[Gene Colburn] "One would think that there would be a way to allow an analogue capture with IEEE1394 deck control, but seems not to be. "

Now wait, are you capturing analog(ue) or HDMI?

You would have to create a custom setting for this.

First thing to do is open the control panel and select your ins and outs.

Then open FCP and choose the proper easy setup fro your frame rate and resolution.

Then open the log and capture window and choose DV NTSC (or DVPAL) from the device control drop down menu in the Capture Settings Tab.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jun 17, 2008 at 5:46:51 pm

Thanks Jeremy
Yeah. Thats what we thought also. We can capture the HDMI in manual mode with no device control, but so far have not found a custom setting that will work. Any setting that calls for 1394 control appears to need 1394 video as well. If you try and trick the I/O settings for HDMI capture with 1394 control we get incompatible settings error.
Specifically, we are attempting to capture HDV material from a HVR-Z1U via HDMI utilizing Aja and ProRes422 1080I. Not analogue, but similiar capture constraints. This appears to be more an issue with Aja utilizing the IEEE1394 transport control interface entirely. Even though we have a secondary PCIe 1394 card for the Z1U. Am I missing something else here? I want to say this has got to work somehow.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 17, 2008 at 8:14:24 pm

[Gene Colburn] "This appears to be more an issue with Aja utilizing the IEEE1394 transport control interface entirely"

Could be, and for serial control as well. Perhaps there's a conflict there, but FCP should be able to discern the difference.

You do have your deck in 1394 DV mode and not HDV mode, correct?

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:28:42 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You do have your deck in 1394 DV mode and not HDV mode, correct?"

Why would that be? The clips are HDV 1080I. We can capture the HDV with Aja io off and native HDV just fine, with deck control, TC etc. However this is our first attempt at using the Z1 on this system this way. So something else to try. (DV instead of HDV mode for deck control) I did a thread search for HDV deck control last night, but nothing came up indicating that as a work flow.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:48:07 pm

[Gene Colburn] "Why would that be?"

I will admit that I have never done this before, but I do know from hosting these forums that when people need to capture HDV via component and a Kona LH/e, they put the deck 1394 "iLink" in dv and the analog stays HD. that way they have dv deck control that FCP understands and HD video. It seems to be that's the way it needs to work.

AJA had a white paper on it, I'll dig it up.

http://www.aja.com/pdf/support/AJA_whitepaper_HDV.pdf

Now, I don't know if you can do the same for HDMI (that is, send dv down the firewire and HD via HDMI) but it might point you in the right direction.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:41:31 pm

Thanks Jeremy and Gary for stickin with. The whitepaper helped lock it.
It works with right combinations of Z1 settings and Deck condtrol settings in FCP, and Aja IO set up for HDMI. We will use and post settings when comfortable that all is well.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 18, 2008 at 3:04:49 am

[Gene Colburn] "We will use and post settings when comfortable that all is well. "

Glad you're up and running.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 17, 2008 at 6:37:15 pm

[Gene Colburn] "One would think that there would be a way to allow an analogue capture with IEEE1394 deck control, but seems not to be. "

it may be an issue with the camera you are using, it may not support simultaneous use of both ports.
If you can control the camera via FW does the video out via HDMI follow? if not it is a camera issue and not the IoHD.

As you have found out HDMI does not carry TC or Control info.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jun 17, 2008 at 7:47:40 pm

[gary adcock] "
it may be an issue with the camera you are using, it may not support simultaneous use of both ports.
If you can control the camera via FW does the video out via HDMI follow? if not it is a camera issue and not the IoHD."

Both ports are active, in fact we have had some odd settings one would not expect to work, actually work but not repeatably. (ex. Playback settings set to none with Aja I/O configed for HDMI. We actually did a couple of captures this way, and thought we found a solution. Saved as custom setting, and could not reproduce.)

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:17:49 pm

this is a shot in the dark as I don't have your configuration but have you tried to use the HDV firewire control device preset(s) instead of the Firewire PAL/NTSC? I guess you have and your thinking right now 'smarty pants' :-)

I just hope you'll find a solution because when I discovered that I can't control my HDV camera and ioHD at the same time from my MacBookPro I was hoping once I update to a Mac Pro and get the extra FW PCIe card all would be fine. . .

Carsten

Return to posts index

David Putman
on Jun 18, 2008 at 3:24:46 am

According to AJA support there is currently not a way for FCP to recognize another video device besides the ioHD, the additional FW card is necessary if you wish to use Firewire storage devices. However there is an excellent solution by using Convergent-Designs HD-Connect MI box. This will allow using the ioHD side RS-422 port and SDI port to provide deck (camera) control and embed TC in the video stream coming from the camera side HDMI and FW. This company has over 60 installations using HDV with Kona and FCP. You can read reviews and other product information at

http://www.convergent-design.com/CD_Products_HDConnectMI.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]