FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make a 16x9 SD-DVD?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Thomas
How to make a 16x9 SD-DVD?
on Jun 12, 2008 at 3:42:29 pm

Not sure if this should be in this forum or the FCP forum, so I'll try here first:

How would I make a 16x9 Standard def DVD out of FCP thru my IO HD? Basically just like a store-bought movie.

Original sequence is 720p 59.94. I can downconvert to 525 using "letterbox" in the downconversion settings. This gives me my full 16x9 image, but leaves black on all sides. Anamorphic just squishes it, and crop cuts off the edges.

How is it that movies on a store-bought DVD can resize to fit a widescreen TV? Right now I'm going out of the IO HD straight into my DVD recorder. Should I be using DVD SP instead? Are there some SD-DVD settings in there?

Thanks for any help...

Bill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How to make a 16x9 SD-DVD?
on Jun 12, 2008 at 4:57:15 pm

16:9 SD DVDs use the anamorphic setting. You DVD player can sometimes send a clue to your widescreen tv telling it is anamorphic and the picture will adjust. Not sure if your dvd recorder supports that flag, so the user would have to adjust the aspect ratio on their tv for correct viewing. If you choose to use DVDSP, there are widescreen settings in there. They all say 16x9. Use those to start.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Jun 12, 2008 at 5:11:53 pm

Did you edit the original program in FCP as a 720P 59.94 sequence? If so, just export that sequence using Compressor. There are pre-sets in Compressor for 16x9 programs. Author the DVD in DVD Studio Pro, and it should come out wide-screen.

Return to posts index

Bill Thomas
on Jun 12, 2008 at 5:31:21 pm

Thanks guys!!

Gotta love this forum and all these smart people!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]