FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video/Audio Out of Sync

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Allison
Video/Audio Out of Sync
on Jun 12, 2008 at 3:11:36 pm

We have an AJA Io-HD hooked up to a Sony HVR M25U HDV deck via the HDMI connection. When we ingest audio/video into Final Cut using the HD version of the ProRes 422 codec, everything works fine. However, when we use SD 8-bit uncompressed, audio and video is out of sync. When we use the SD version of the ProRes 422 codec, the audio and video is also out of sync. Why? It's coming in on the exact same cable.

AJA technical support suggested upgrading to OS 10.5.3, and upgrading the Io-HD drivers as well. I'm a bit nervous about doing that until I read more about how FCP 6.0.3 deals with the OS upgrade. After all, there's no need to trade one set of problems for another.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Video/Audio Out of Sync
on Jun 12, 2008 at 4:52:01 pm

[Tim Allison] "Why?"

Good question. Are you using the deck for the down convert or the ioHD?

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Jun 12, 2008 at 5:03:36 pm

I'm letting the Io do the down-convert. Duh! I honestly didn't even think of letting the deck do the down convert.

But still....it is easier if the Io did the down convert. That way, I leave the deck menu settings alone, and simply set my "flavor" of video with the Easy Setups within FCP. Besides, it SHOULD WORK with the Io doing the down convert.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 12, 2008 at 5:19:43 pm

[Tim Allison] "That way, I leave the deck menu settings alone, and simply set my "flavor" of video with the Easy Setups within FCP. Besides, it SHOULD WORK with the Io doing the down convert."

You are right, it should. Are you sure you have everything setup properly? With the io doing the down convert, you set your primary format as 525i and your secondary to 1080i. Opposite of an outward bound down convert. Also as a litmus, have you tried using analog component just to see if it's not HDMI based problems?

Return to posts index

David Perry
on Jun 13, 2008 at 12:26:33 am

If AJA suggested to upgrade both, I would do it. The sync problem has been around for a while now and I have spoken several times with the AJA tech people. I just notice they have a new version and I can't wait to download it. It should correct several issues and I am hoping the sound sync will be one of them.

Good luck.

David Perry

David Perry
Carmen Productions

Return to posts index

John Knowles
on Jul 8, 2008 at 1:02:33 am

Hello guys,

I don't know if this thread is dead but if you're still checking it I'd love to know if any of you have figured out this issue yet? I just got my IoHD and have been trying to capture all day; I noticed clips were out of sync on playback and sure enough, it was 7 frames off just like Tim's issue.

I'm upconverting Betas and BetaSP to Apple ProRes HQ 1080 29.97 (pillarbox). Playback deck is a Sony J3. Mac Pro 2.66, 6GB RAM, 3TB eSATA G-Speed RAID, FCP 6.03 and QT 7.4.5

Thanks,
JK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2008 at 3:54:39 am

Is it out of sync in quicktime or just FCP?

How'd you setup the upconvert?

Return to posts index

John Knowles
on Jul 8, 2008 at 4:14:41 am

Hi Jeremy,

It's out of sync in Quicktime as well, even tried them in AJA TV but no dice.

Upconverting: I set the output as 1080 29.97 ProRes HQ, input is standard 525i29.97. SD to HD is set to 'pillarbox'. These settings are reflected in both FCP and the AJA panel. TC control shows 'SDI 1' as the source (it was set to Freerun initially but it snapped to SDI 1 when I hit Log and Capture.)

I'm starting to have lots of other issues now though, like lots of TC breaks in every tape and intermittent deck control; I've been using this rented Sony J3 all day and I wonder if it's crapping out on me... has that been known to happen? This is my first real hands-on experience with analog decks and deck control outside of Firewire.

I'm supposed to get a JH3 tomorrow for another round of tapes, I can see if the HDCam fare any better. If so I may ask them for another Beta deck. Still, it looks like I'm having a similar problem as others who don't have bad decks (supposedly), so maybe I have two sets of problems?

Thanks
JK

Return to posts index

John Knowles
on Jul 8, 2008 at 7:53:09 am

Jeremy, I just added a new post with all my issues; it went beyond this sync issue and I think it's a whole separate (though perhaps unrelated) problem. hope thats OK...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2008 at 1:35:52 pm

That's good, see my response there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]