FORUMS: list search recent posts

real-time capabilities of ioHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Fomo
real-time capabilities of ioHD
on May 22, 2008 at 2:48:30 pm

I am using my new ioHD for the first time on an HD project. My first task is to make TC window dubs of our Xdcam 1080p media to standard def DVDs. I transcoded the xdcam material to ProRes and added the time code reader filter to it in Final cut pro and I get an orange render bar. I still get "correct" playback to both HD and SD monitors, but the image is noticeably soft and stutters briefly from time to time. My question is whether I have already met the limits of the ioHD on real-time output by adding one simple filter? With SD media, I'm used to getting the grey-green render bar and not having to render at all and still get a pristine image on output. Window dubs wouldn't normally require that the image look perfect. However, clients will see the footage for the first time with these window dubs and that makes the producer nervous. The ioHD has been touted for its real-time capabilities with the ProRes codec. I'm a little disappointed. Can anyone advise?

My system: Macbook Pro running at 2.6 Ghz core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM, Sonnet Fusion D-500P RAID-0 storage in combination with a Sonnet eSATA II expresscard port-multiplied host adapter. No other firewire devices connected and realtime extreme is turned on in FCP. I have used the 8-bit ProRes codec, not the 10-bit, for transcoding the xdcam media.

Let me also note that when I transcoded the xdcam to ProRes 720p and then added the time code reader filter, I got a green render bar and much better playback, smooth and sharp. When I read AJA's recommended systems for editing HD ProRes media, I saw my system in that list with no qualification about 1080 media versus 720.

Thanks in advance for anyone's input on this subject.

Richard Fomo

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Michael Sacci
Re: real-time capabilities of ioHD
on May 22, 2008 at 8:15:33 pm

you have passed the RT limit of your system and not the IoHD

"If you’d rather lower the playback quality of your video to increase the number of real-
time effects that can be played back, you can select the Unlimited RT mode. In this
mode, Final Cut Pro attempts to play as many frames as possible, even when the effects
in your sequence exceed the processing power of your computer. Real-time effects that
can play back without dropping frames still appear with green, dark green, or yellow
render bars as appropriate. However, when the number of effects exceed your
computer’s processing power, an orange render bar appears, indicating that real-time
playback will occur, but that frames might be dropped during playback in this part of
your sequence."

One way to get great TC burns is to turn it on with the AJA control panel. The down side it the TC is from the timeline but if you match the TC of the timeline to the clip you get what you need. I think you maybe able to get the clips TC if you play out of the AJA TV.

Return to posts index

Richard Fomo
on May 22, 2008 at 9:53:55 pm

Thank you, Michael, for the good work-around suggestions. I have not tried before to utilize the control panel in that way. As for exceeding the real time limits of my system: I like my Macbook, but desktops will always rule.

Richard Fomo Video
3 Edge Hill St., unit 1
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 22, 2008 at 10:03:37 pm

that is a pretty heavy filter not sure if it will be prefect on a MacPro. the one thing you always want to happen with a TC burn is to have every frame recorded, as if I can live with the loss of video quality I set the frame rate to FULL which in turns drops quality in Unlimited RT even more. But most of the time quality is not that important for TC Dubs

Plus when the client finally see the real footage they are blown away. :-)

Return to posts index

Richard Fomo
on May 22, 2008 at 10:33:25 pm

Michael - I tried to output TC via the control panel (just check the box "use Quicktime timecode" under output) and am getting nothing. I get nothing whether using AJA TV or FCP. What am I missing?

Richard Fomo Video
3 Edge Hill St., unit 1
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 22, 2008 at 10:43:15 pm

Do you have the TC Burn-In: set to "Timecode"?

and in the Frame buffer graphic it should say Timecode ON

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 22, 2008 at 11:47:21 pm

[Michael Sacci] "Do you have the TC Burn-In: set to "Timecode"?
and in the Frame buffer graphic it should say Timecode ON"

And you also have to be viewing the Video Out from the IoHD (or Kona)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on May 23, 2008 at 12:02:50 am

You must have a version that we don't have :-)
In my 5.1.1 control panel version of the ioHD drivers there is no TC burn in option??

Carsten

Return to posts index

Richard Fomo
on May 23, 2008 at 3:57:22 am

It's true, the ioHD control panel does not have the TC burn-in option. I have a Kona LH card in my older G5 and that control panel does have TC burn-in. I was able to see it work. Unfortunately, from the G5, I don't have access to my HD media that's on the eSATA array. But I can eventually copy it all over to a firewire 800 drive or transcode what I have on the eSATA array to 720p which has more realtime capabilities with filters. Either way, I can get this done. We ioHD owners could definitely use that TC burn-in option in its control panel.

Thanks to Michael and Gary for their input.

Richard Fomo Video
3 Edge Hill St., unit 1
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 23, 2008 at 2:51:22 pm

[Carsten Orlt] "You must have a version that we don't have :-)
In my 5.1.1 control panel version of the ioHD drivers there is no TC burn in option??"

good catch Carsten,
it was an install error on my part, and I was looking at the wrong control panel ( I forgot to switch the monitors when bouncing between computers!!)

but I will ask the guys at AJA Why Not?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 28, 2008 at 6:15:24 pm

Hello Richard,

I'm new to this forum but thought I'd tell you my experience with my IOHD. I actually have the same MBP as you and am conected to two 4 tray raid zero's with my Sonnet 2 port esata expresscard. I have edited a 3 cam 1080i60 Shoot. My timeline is 2 hours long and has the following tracks - all pro res HQ

V1-V3 3 40 minute tapes from HDCam into Pro res HQ
V4 3 angle Multiclip edited
V5-7 Color corrected angles of multiclip broken out into each track
V8 Graphics and lower thirds
V9 Self contained QT file of finished edit

A1-3 Original on camera audio
A4 Multiclip audio
A5 PCM mastered stereo audio
a6-11 Pcm 5.1 mastered audio

You guys may think I am crazy for keeping all of this on one sequence but it is easy for me to maintain sync. Anyway, with this much on my timeline I always get the red render. I mute all of the audio but the 5.1 and I go to Orange render which for me plays back fine through my Home theatre system perfectly. If I mute all of my video except for the final edit, I go to grey and definitely don't have any problems. This is a really cool way to do my edits instead of burning and watching and fixing and burning etc. I make all of my changes by simply muting tracks, editing and muting again - sometimes before I make my Self Contained final track. I notice no lag at all.

Have you tried to make a self contained file of the track plus filter and lay it above and see how that plays?

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]