FORUMS: list search recent posts

IoHD to Apple Display via HDMI to DVI?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Coburn
IoHD to Apple Display via HDMI to DVI?
on May 14, 2008 at 11:03:50 am

We're trying to connect an Aja IoHD to a spare 23" Apple Cinema Display to utilise it as a HD client monitor.
We've connected a HDMI lead to the DVI of the Apple display via a couple of converter couplers but after a short time playing with the setting we still can't get a feed on the Apple. Has anyone else had any success with doing this?
we've connected the AJA to a plasma via a DVI converter but don't get a signal here either so i'm hoping it's an internal config problem.

Hardware is a dual quadcore 3ghz mac running Final Cut Studio 2 (we're also doing the same with a 17" dual 2.6gb macbook pro in an identical setup)

You can do anything with After Effects......as long as somebody has made a plug in to do it!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: IoHD to Apple Display via HDMI to DVI?
on May 14, 2008 at 11:47:10 am

[Stuart Coburn] "We've connected a HDMI lead to the DVI of the Apple display via a couple of converter couplers but after a short time playing with the setting we still can't get a feed on the Apple. "

Why HDMI x DVI

AJA makes a HDSDI - DVI converter called the HDP that does this all in one step-

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Stuart Coburn
on May 14, 2008 at 12:09:21 pm

Speed and cost mainly, the down side of working for a large organisation is trying to buy anything over £50 means silly amounts of forms and the approval of several 'people upstairs' i.e. several weeks wait and a bag full of hassle, hence the HDMI to coupler to converter block method.
Is this feasable to do it this way though and am i just missing a vital config setting?

You can do anything with After Effects......as long as somebody has made a plug in to do it!

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on May 17, 2008 at 5:12:02 am

theoretically your right as the HDMI signal can be converted to DVI by just buying a simple adapter.
BUT
this will not work with the cinema display because the Apple doesn't support video frequencies (50/60 Hz) directly.
you can either buy a consumer LCD/Plasma TV or what I did get a computer LCD which supports video signals. I got the BenQ W241 which fully supports all HD standards including 1080p (cheap and really good quality). But other manufactures have models that work too (Dell, Samsung)
Or you need the converter Gary mentioned, and Blackmagic makes one too.

Carsten

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]