FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does the AJA io HD Support 1080p30?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Brock
Does the AJA io HD Support 1080p30?
on May 6, 2008 at 5:06:59 pm

I've been researching the AJA iO HD and I've seen reference to 1080PsF24 support but not specifically 1080p30. So does it support progressive 1080 at 30 fps? Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Does the AJA io HD Support 1080p30?
on May 6, 2008 at 7:47:23 pm

as of right now, it supports 1080psf (basically 60i).

The forthcoming drivers which were shown at NAB will support true 1080p30 along with a bunch of other p/psf formats.

What's your source?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Brock
on May 6, 2008 at 11:36:50 pm

Thank you Jeremy. My source was reviews, aja.com...otherwise no one really knew the answer. But that's great to hear that it will support 1080p. Does it also support rendering the footage if you apply filters and such, or is it only for transcoding? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 7, 2008 at 2:28:47 am

[Bill Brock] "Does it also support rendering the footage if you apply filters and such, or is it only for transcoding? "

Do you mean does it help accelerate renders? No. It doesn't.

When I asked what you source was, I meant your video source. What are shooting and/or editing? For the most part, I bet your footage is 1080psf anyway, so you could use the ioHD right now.

:)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Brock
on May 7, 2008 at 1:57:02 pm

Ha ha, ooops! Well, I'm looking at using the Iconix which supports pretty much all the HD formats, but wanted to go progressive as much as possible...if possible. Since the imaging I will be doing will most likely be presented on the web and then later on Bluray, I wanted the highest quality source. By the way, do you know if there is anyone on creativecow that is working with the Iconix HD camera? Thank you again for your help!

Bill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 7, 2008 at 3:32:48 pm

[Bill Brock] "By the way, do you know if there is anyone on creativecow that is working with the Iconix HD camera?"

I do not personally. It appears that it supports psf or p so right now if you had to do it today, you'd setup the ioHD for psf (or 60i) and turn off field rendering in your timeline. For all intents and purposes, it will be progressive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joe Trepanier
on Jun 16, 2008 at 6:05:09 pm

Does Blu-ray support 1080p30? I thought it only did 1080p24 and 1080i50/60.

cheers,

Joe

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 16, 2008 at 6:24:08 pm

Don't know if it does support p30, but since it supports 60i, your p30 will get played back 30psf.

You'll be fine.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joe Trepanier
on Jun 16, 2008 at 6:27:38 pm

True enough. I was just curious since there's a visual difference between p and psf, but most people wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

cheers,

Joe

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 16, 2008 at 6:38:00 pm

Well, if you keep your FCP footage, timelines and any external graphics progressive, you should be good even though it will get played back psf.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 16, 2008 at 8:24:09 pm

[Joe Trepanier] "True enough. I was just curious since there's a visual difference between p and psf, but most people wouldn't notice the difference anyway. "

Unless you capture on true P source material (say Phantom HD, Viper or scanned frames) or a frame seq I doubt most people have ever seen 1080 as True "P" material, and it would certainly NOT play on a consumer TV. There is only a visual difference between P and sF in the output display and since the BR player will output 60i you are much better off NOT trying progressive at 30p depending on your display connection ( HDMI would offer the worst playback for your purpose.

FYI - I have not seen a "24p" Blu Ray disc for the consumer market- jump to the credit roll in the end. if it is truly progressive the test is razor sharp - there will be no lines or blurring.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]