FORUMS: list search recent posts

ETT w/ MPB power weirdness

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
ETT w/ MPB power weirdness
on Apr 18, 2008 at 2:25:22 am

FIgure this is a good place to post this since it is mastering with a laptop.

My setup MBP 1st gen/IoHD/eSata media drive/ProResHQ 1080 29.97 downconvert to DBeta deck. Only have SD house ref available and using it.

Okay, I needed to make (2) masters of a 50 minute show. Got everything all set up in a hurry to try to make FedEx, so I forgot to plug in the MBP's power cord. Made the first tape without no problem. Realized that the ,aptop was not plugged in when the low battery warning came on, yes, I that smart. Plugged the laptop in and went to make the next tape and notice that the video seemed to be popping, didn't lose sync or sound wrong, just that video seemed to pause for a frame. Played the tape back and the pauses are there ever so often. Unplug the laptop and try it, it seems to work fine. Plug the laptop in and it will play the video fine when not in record but as soon as I start the ETT the pauses start up. ANyone have this happen to them? Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: ETT w/ MPB power weirdness
on Apr 18, 2008 at 3:40:58 pm

Shutdown and restart everything making sure to turn on the io first.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 18, 2008 at 9:49:57 pm

I did do that. Has to have something to do with the power or AC adapter. I have a second ac adapter that I will try to see if it is that. Just hard to wait 60 minutes between ETT to recharge the battery. :-( It is a pain but at least I can get my tapes made.

I also have a Io and maybe I will test that out also. Just to see where the problem is coming from.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 18, 2008 at 9:57:11 pm

Yeah, that's a weird one.

Is everything plugged into the same relative outlet? You restarted all of your gear down to the BB generator?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 19, 2008 at 3:33:53 am

I have tried several different plug-in sets all in the same strip, in different outlets. I did try the other ac adapter and no luck there. have restarted everything other than the house reference, I not sure where that is. I get to use a deck at a video dup house after hours and the have a bunch of equipment that I have no idea what it is. I have been doing this for a couple of years without this problem. The only thing that is new in the setup is going the downconvert with the IoHD instead of bringing a file that is already downconverted.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to test the old Io tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2008 at 4:46:37 pm

[Michael Sacci] "The only thing that is new in the setup is going the downconvert with the IoHD instead of bringing a file that is already downconverted. "

I don't know. If it's working on output when you are not in ETT, it seems to me like it might be some sort of deck/reference issue?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 22, 2008 at 1:06:08 am

What'd you find out?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 22, 2008 at 1:25:42 am

I haven't been able to make it back to do more testing, it maybe Wednesday or Thursday before I get another shot at it.

I'm really leaning that something is up with my laptop, I tried to do a live capture with my HVX through the FW and was having a lot of issues with that also. Unfortunately I have loaned out the camera for a week so I cannot follow up with that either.

I will post back after I do some more testing.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 22, 2008 at 1:28:14 am

Cool man, keep me posted.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 23, 2008 at 10:55:21 pm

Think I have more ? with the more things I try. Hooked up my Gen 10 instead of using the house ref. It seemed to start off better and then get worse. The video trouble is it seems to be going back a frame every now and again - like playing 1,2,3,2,4,5,6,5 but it is stay in sync so those frame as just to help explain it.

It does seem like restarting the Mac is fixing it for a bit. But I cannot figure out what is triggering it, once it starts it starts happens every few seconds.

This is a bit frustrating since it is taking forever to get a clean master and confidence is not very high.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 24, 2008 at 12:06:09 am

That makes no sense at all....

Is the deck Gen10'd as well?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 24, 2008 at 12:25:51 am

Yes, but tell me if I'm correct here, the deck, IoHD and monitor are connected to the Gen10 set to SD 29.97.

Okay I'm not sure if this has happened before (I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it, but you never know with me) Ref light on front is on with FCP not running and with it running. As soon as I go to ETT the blue light goes off. So I set the layout up so I could see the AJA Control Panel when FCP was the active app. When ETT is launch the Ref in Display in the CP changes from Genlock: Ref In - to Genlock SDI In 1 (which there is nothing connected)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 24, 2008 at 12:33:02 am

Yep, it's a reference issue. You need to set your deck & ioHD for external ref.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 24, 2008 at 12:49:23 am

Jeremy, thanks for your help with this problem, greatly appreciated.

Do you think it could be a bad Io? The Io is set to Ref In and is seeing 525i29.97 (I have set it to 1080i and same thing happens) Control Panel and Ref light are where it should be as low as either ETT or Capture windows are not opened. As soon as either are the blue light goes out and the CP switches to SDI IN.

Not sure how to set the REF IN on the deck, there is something for OUT REF but I'm no longer using the loop through on the deck. Also the IoHD has a terminator on it and the decks 75 ohm is turned on.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 24, 2008 at 1:45:38 am

What deck exactly?

You should be able to put the deck in 'input video' for sync or external ref. It's a panel you have to pull out from the front of the dbeta and find the switch.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 24, 2008 at 5:11:16 am

The deck is a Sony DVW-500A, I have looked at that panel and on I see is the OUT REF.

I put a call into AJA, my man concern/confusion is why I'm I losing REF when going into ETT (or Capture)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 24, 2008 at 5:31:47 am

The problem is not with the ioHD as that works. Kona/ioHD cards always reference incoming video when capturing and when you go into ETT, it essentially is looking for input video as the card is in EE and getting ready to capture. Once it goes to output, it should grab the ext ref.

This explains it best.

What you want is the deck to reference the Gen10 and make sure the out ref switch is set to ext. Send the SDI out of the deck into the ioHD as well to complete the loop and take the deck out of EE if it is in EE.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 24, 2008 at 5:57:37 am

OK, after reading your post and the pdf a couple times I think it is making sense, but it is getting late.

I guess that fact that the REF light on the IoHD goes out and stays out worries/confuses me. It seems like it some turn back on when it starts recording. Yes? No?

[Jeremy Garchow] "take the deck out of EE if it is in EE"
Would this not make the deck unable to record?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 24, 2008 at 1:39:09 pm

[Michael Sacci] "[Jeremy Garchow] "take the deck out of EE if it is in EE"
Would this not make the deck unable to record? "

No. EE happens really when the deck is not moving tape because as soon as you move the tape (play/ff/rec) the deck comes out of EE and sends the signal coming off the tape heads. EE is basically opening up the connections of in to out in the deck (kind of like when you open log and capture in FCP with a Kona/ioHD). That can confuse the ioHD as it's not receiving a stable video signal. Very simply and interpretively, both pieces of equipment are wide open looking for video and neither of them are making up their mind as to what to send/grab. If you take the deck out of EE it will send internally generated stable black, instead of it sending what's coming from the ioHD when it's in ETT mode (which is really nothing as it's looking for stable input from the deck) and around and around we go. When you hit record on the deck, it will still record and the deck will be out of EE when you record anyway. Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 24, 2008 at 2:08:57 pm

What is not being understood is why do I need a BBG if the deck uses incoming video to sync when I record and the Io uses Video In when I capture?

Why does the REF light on the Io ALWAYS turn off when capturing or ETT? Is this normal? or is this because the deck is in EE/PB, I just would like to get confirmation that "yes when you are capturing or going to tape you should not see the REF light on."

Gary, yes I believe I have the Gen10 hooked up correctly, Deck, IoHD and monitor all set to 525i29.97 ( I also tried it with the IoHD output 5 set to 1080i29.97. But this all begs the question since the Io switches to SDI IN to genlock when capturing or going to tape.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 24, 2008 at 3:18:44 pm

[Michael Sacci] "What is not being understood is why do I need a BBG if the deck uses incoming video to sync when I record and the Io uses Video In when I capture? "

Well, you don't HAVE to have it, but it offers more stability and when setup properly, you shouldn't have to worry about this again. It's not only for the ioHD it's also for the deck which likes to see sync as well.

I have to check on the blue light as I have never watched it in ETT. I will get back to you on that.

Also, try turning off Appletalk.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 24, 2008 at 4:13:02 pm

All right, I watched carefully during an ETT and the light goes off when you first go to ETT (as the io is in EE like we talked about) but when it actually performs the ETT, it grabs ref in again.

I still think this is a configuration issue. Take you SDI out from deck, put it in SDI in of io. SDI out if io to SDI in of deck. Gen10 out to io ref in, Gen 10 out to Deck ref in and terminate at the deck. Open the IoHD control panel, select ref in by right clicking on the Ref in triangle and choosing ref in. Open FCP and perform the down convert with the io Control panel. Open ETT. Ref light goes out. Drag timeline to assemble on ETT window, deck begins pre-roll and ref light should come back on. Watched layoff and everything looks great.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 24, 2008 at 4:40:55 pm

By the end of testing last night and through doing what you were suggestion, SDI in and Out video was connected to the deck. Gen10 was connected to deck, Io and monitor (all 525i29.97)

I go to ETT light goes out, drag seq to assemble it starts and light stays out. After hooking up the Video in to the Io the problem of the video glitch is still there but not nearly as often.

I will see if I can test this out either tonight or tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 25, 2008 at 7:38:25 pm

Okay, I think with your help I have got the settings right.

SDI Loop is connect IN/OUT to deck-IoHD
Gen10 525i29.97 to both deck and IoHD
Deck set to:
OUT REF - REF (if I set it to Input video the video freaks out!)
PP.EE/PB - is set to PB when ETT (seems like it needs to be on PB.EE for capture or else I'm getting dropped frames)

I think it was the PB setting that was causing the problem with the ETT. I'm now getting the beautiful blue ref light back when the ETT goes into recording and in the AJA CP I can see that genlock is using Ref In

Just to confirm - when doing a capture it never comes back on, it that normal.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2008 at 7:47:44 pm

[Michael Sacci] "Thanks again for your help."

No worries. That was a long one!

Ref shouldn't come back on in capture as it's getting it's ref from incoming video and not external. Correct.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 24, 2008 at 12:46:24 pm

[Michael Sacci] "Do you think it could be a bad Io?"

Don't think it is the IoHD.

Check something for me with the multiple outs on the GEN 10 you have one of them set wrong,
since all of them can be set differently, check that every connection is set the same.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]