FORUMS: list search recent posts

IoHD odd 9 frame slide

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bahram Gueranfar
IoHD odd 9 frame slide
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:24:54 pm

Hi,

I am digitalizing SD footage (Beta sp 625i pal via component in dvcpro50) and at the end of the day the sound is out of sync by exactly for 9 frames. It happens randomly and each time it is exactly 9 frames.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Kind regards

Bahram

http://www.imaginaryforms.com
14 Quai Antoine 1er
MC 98000
MONACO
T: +377 97 777 111
F: +377 97 777 112

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: IoHD odd 9 frame slide
on Apr 8, 2008 at 8:17:30 pm

Please give more information about your setup.

What kind of computer/hard drives/OS/FCP/etc

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Apr 10, 2008 at 4:33:29 pm

Boy, this sounds suspicious, and unfortunately, familiar. Tell me, are your clips actually being captured 9 frames out of sync? Or does the sync issue develop somewhere else in the work flow?

Return to posts index

Bahram Gueranfar
on Apr 10, 2008 at 5:32:04 pm

set up:

MacPro 2 x 3.2 Ghz Quad Core
8GB ram
OS 10.5.2

capturing from BetaSP tape/deck out component thru AJA ioHD to FCP Studio 2 (FCP 6) using AJA's DVCPro50 codec into external Sonnet Fusion 8T Raid 4 drive.

... and clips *actually* being captured 9 frames out of sync (entire tape), doesn't develop later....

14 Quai Antoine 1er
MC 98000
MONACO

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Apr 10, 2008 at 6:51:23 pm

Well, I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that we've had very similar problems, so you're not alone. The only difference is that our problem appears to be 7 frames out of sync instead of 9 frames.

The bad news is that we haven't figured it out yet. It appears to be reference related, but I'm not sure on that. I've talked with AJA Tech support, and so far, they are stumped as well.

I can tell you this: if you carefully watch your log and capture window during during capture, you can see that is out of sync. If at this point, you close log and capture, and then open it again, your video will be captured correctly.

It is not codec related. We have captured out-of-sync video in 8-bit uncompressed, DVCPro-50, and ProRes422. It doesn't appear to be Final Cut related, because we have captured out-of-sync video with both Final Cut and AJA VTR Exchange. It is not drive related, because we have captured out-of-sync video on our eSATA RAID, the internal Mac hard drive, and an external Firewire drive.

We are on a 3.2 GHz Mac Pro, 8-core, OS 10.5, FCP 6.

If you figure it out, let us know.

Return to posts index

Bahram Gueranfar
on Apr 24, 2008 at 10:09:45 am

Tim,

Sorry for the delay in my response but I was on location until now.

I think we have figured out the problem as far as our nine frames is concerned.

We are capturing an analogue signal from Beta Sp via the AJA iohd into DVCPRO50. The deck is old and we have to capture batch with out control of the deck.

I noticed that each time we manually used the deck to go forward or rewind in order to find the starting point before capture, we had the 9-frame problem. From there we just found the starting point before opening the capture window and we had no more problems. Just to be sure that we had figured out the problem, I did a search while the capture window was open and for sure we had the 9-frame problem.

Not a very scientific approach, but we managed to avoid the problem. I have no idea what the reasons of the problem could be though; all I know is that we managed to avoid the problem.

Cheers

Bahram

14 Quai Antoine 1er
MC 98000
MONACO

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Apr 28, 2008 at 11:27:26 pm

I am having the same problem. My old io works fine with my new Mac Pro, however, my new ioHD is having the same sync problems that you are experiencing. My fix is to physically disconnect the FW800 that connects the ioHD and then reconnect. I'm anxious to try a firmware update that is (hopefully) coming within the next few weeks from aja.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:00:22 am

Lawrence. Please give more information as to your system setup and everything that's connected to it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:32:19 am

Jeremy

I have the aja ioHD going to a dedicated FW800 bus in my Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon. Processor speed = 3 GHz. I'm capturing using the Uncompressed 8 bit codec from a Sony 1800 betacam machine (component connection). I'm genlocking through a Horita Black burst box. I've been on the phone with AJA Tech support on a few occasions. They've even sent me another box to try. If time permits this week, I'll call them and give it another go although I suspect that this problem is perhaps due to a software bug. Puzzling!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:37:13 am

Ha! I see you have been down most of the troubleshooting roads as you answered the exact right questions.

Have you tried other codecs (just as a test)?

Any other cards in your MacPro?

Both io's were 9 frames out all the time?

Return to posts index

Bahram Gueranfar
on Apr 29, 2008 at 6:42:02 am

Sorry Lawrence to know you have the same problem.

I tried other codecs and each time i had the same issue. As soon as i use the deck before capturing while the log window is open i get the sync problem.

Cheers

B

14 Quai Antoine 1er
MC 98000
MONACO

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:10:13 pm

[Lawrence Shea] "f time permits this week, I'll call them and give it another go although I suspect that this problem is perhaps due to a software bug. Puzzling!"

LS...

Are you sure you went thru the IoUpater process fully? It is Vital that you cycle the power on your computer and the IoHD after installing the drivers, it is the only way the Firmware is properly updated in the unit itself....

Uninstall using the utility for that in the Applications > AJA folder --then reinstall following the written process by cycling the power on both the IoHD and your computer.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Apr 29, 2008 at 4:58:36 pm

Thanks Gary

Just to be absolutely sure that my install was correct, I just reinstalled the software, following directions to a T. Unfortunately, same symptoms.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]