FORUMS: list search recent posts

EBU audio into IoHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lacey
EBU audio into IoHD
on Mar 28, 2008 at 3:28:14 pm

I'm replacing our IO with the IoHD and have hit an audio problem.

SD SDI capture into FCS2 via the IoHD from a JVC D750 D9 machine. The digital audio is not embedded with this machine and in the past I've captured separate EBU routed to the IO. Can't remember what version FCP it was the last time I used this combo.

Now I'm trying to do the same but the IoHD doesn't see the audio. Analogue audio works fine but no EBU. Am I missing a switch or something somewhere on the IoHD or in FCS? How does one select which audio ip?

Also is there a way of testing the video/audio/communications of the IoHD with any connected VTR without using FCP? It certainly would be useful diagnostics if the IoHD control box had some RS422 test and vid/audio meters.

thanks for any assistance

Alan in PALland

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
Re: EBU audio into IoHD
on Mar 29, 2008 at 12:02:19 am

in danger of stating the obvious and not yet used the Digital inputs:

in the aja control panel select the input tab and choose which audio inputs you want.

test not using fcp: in the aja control panel select the control tab and select 'input through' from the 'default video output' selector > if your audio is working correctly you should have audio coming out the outputs of your ioHD (all of them) also you should have meter activity on the front of the ioHD.
for this to work neither FCP or aja tv should be running but you need to start up the compi and have the ioHD connected.

in fcp make sure the audio input is set to aja ioHD in your capture settings (but i guess you have that because otherwise you wouldn't hear analogue either).

fcp has no separate setting for audio input other then selecting the ioHD

last thing i can think of is there might be a menu option in the jvc vtr which lets you select which audio output is active (don't know the machine)

that's what i would check. after this i would contact aja, and if they can't help reinstall the drivers.

Carsten

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2008 at 12:24:49 am

Does that deck have EBU outputs and are they bnc or XLR?

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Mar 29, 2008 at 6:23:04 am

Thanks guys I'll check after the weekend. Carsten thats given me a number of things to think about.

Jeremy the deck has BNCs on its op but I use a 75-110 neutrik transformer to convert to XLR for the IO. All ops live simultaneously I believe but I'll check that as well Carsten.

The funny thing is that although I don't remember the details I do remember having to jump through a few (FCP) hoops getting this working with the IO. FCP was expecting embedded audio and I had to set up another Easy setup for separare EBU. Just can't puzzle on FCS?

Alan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2008 at 8:21:04 am

[Alan Lacey] "Jeremy the deck has BNCs on its op but I use a 75-110 neutrik transformer to convert to XLR for the IO"

Why? EBU audio is supplied through bnc on the ioHD. The XLR inputs are analog.

OPen your ioHD control panel and choose AES/EBU in the input tab. Go to FCP, choose the proper easy setup for your video format and away you go.

[Alan Lacey] "The funny thing is that although I don't remember the details I do remember having to jump through a few (FCP) hoops getting this working with the IO"

This works different than the ioSD. The ioSD you had to choose different easy setups for different inputs. The ioHD, you set all your ins in the control panel and the io sends the proper info to FCP, so to speak, so at that point, you are basically choosing video format/codec/frame rate with your easy setups. You don't need to reinstall the drivers unless something is royally screwed up. First, try selecting what you need in the control panel.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Mar 29, 2008 at 8:50:24 am

Hi Jeremy,

No the audio transformer was needed for the (SD) IO as that has XLR ebu connectors.

Thanks I didn't even think of looking in the IoHD control app for audio ip selection! there's just too many knobs and buttons!!

Alan

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 29, 2008 at 11:52:52 pm

Alan,
as you continue to work in HD, you will continue to see more and more "knobs and buttons", as there are tons of compression ratios, tons of frame rates, working at 1080i, 720p, up conversion, downconversion, cross conversion, etc. All of this can be very confusing. AJA has made the AJA Control Panel a life saver, but you must sit there for about an hour and play with it. I suggest that you don't use FCP at all while you test all the settings on the AJA Control Panel. When you get "lost and confused" in FCP, the first thing to do is to quit (or hide) FCP and go to the Control Panel, so see if the system is seeing your video signal, and if you are passing a video (and audio) signal thru your system. You will start to rely heavily on all the "knobs and buttons" in the AJA Control Panel.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Mar 30, 2008 at 9:12:25 am

Couldn't agree more Bob. Fortuneatley, being in PALland I do only plan 1080i 1080p and SD PAL so I'll probably end up as before - ie one-time ironing out the hardware interface problems, then prompty forgetting what I did, or even that I had them! Also as I'm using XDcamHD I hope a lot of these tape based issues won't arise. At the moment I don't have SDI monitoring which further hampers.

I do have a FCP display favourite layout which leaves space on the screen to see the IO control box while working in FCP, but one of things I do find confusing is what settings are retained by the control box when FCP has control of it. In other words, when I make changes in control box parameters, will FCP over-ride them when it takes control.

Thanks Alan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 31, 2008 at 2:07:38 am

[Alan Lacey] "In other words, when I make changes in control box parameters, will FCP over-ride them when it takes control. "

Some, but not others. It will override the frame buffer with your main FCP format or easy setup, but the Kona control panel can control any secondary formats (up, down and cross conversion) plus any audio input you may need and a host of other cool stuff with FCP running.

I can tell you haven't worked with this much and that's okay. Once you start using it and messing around with it, you will see it's very easy. And also cool.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 31, 2008 at 4:52:42 am

Dooh...

Jeremy is of course right: AES/EBU digital is only via BNC connectors!
they are separate from the XLR analoge inputs!!

you can tell I have not used them yet :-)

so connecting via XLR to get digital audio in is futile.
if the JVC vtr only has XLR digital outs then you need an adaptor to connect to the BNC inputs of the ioHD

Carsten

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Mar 31, 2008 at 9:36:38 am

You're right Jeremy I'm still very low on the learning curve, but I'm seriously impressed already. I've just got Motion working thru it too!!

It works a treat with EBU!!

thanks for all the tips

Alan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 31, 2008 at 2:34:04 pm

You're welcome and glad you are up and running.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]