FORUMS: list search recent posts

help! EV RE20 mic into i/o HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike miller
help! EV RE20 mic into i/o HD
on Mar 26, 2008 at 7:39:25 pm

hello everybody...

i hooked up my electro voice re20 mic into the XLR input #3 on the back of the i/o HD. i'd like to use this mic to record v/o's. but, when i open the v/o tool, no signal is coming thru from the re20...any advice?

thanks
mike

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: help! EV RE20 mic into i/o HD
on Mar 26, 2008 at 8:57:39 pm

yes - BUY A MIXER. (but I don't want to buy a mixer, can't I just stick the mic into the line input of the AJA and make it work) - NO. And you can't do this on an AVID, you can't do this on a Blackmagic card, you can't do this on a Matrox card, you cant do this with Edius, you can't do this with DPS Velocity. YOU MUST BUY A MIXER - owning a mixer is part of being in the professional entertainment industry - be it editing, production, live music, corporate presentation, or getting up at your church and singing - YOU MUST BUY A MIXER - now go to a nice web site like American Musical, Musicians Friend, B+H Photo, Markertek, or so many others on the web, and BUY A MIXER.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Perry
on Mar 27, 2008 at 2:25:44 am

Rather amusing post but you neglect to tell Mike the reason it will not work is that the input on the IO HD is not a mic pre. It is only a line input.

David Perry
Carmen Productions

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:27:15 pm

David writes -
Rather amusing post

REPLY - there is a common theme, particularly in recent years, that is based on "why do I have to buy this, why do I have to own that". There is a dream among many people in our industry, that we will reach a day where we can do 4K and 8K production, with only a $500 camera, and this camera will store it's info on the web, and no one needs any equipment ever again, because editing, graphics, storage, and distribution applications will all be "free-ware". This is my worst nightmare, and this day will not exist in my lifetime, but I am sensitive to posts like this, because it is common to see questions like "why can't I do uncompressed HD on my laptop internal hard drive" - or "why do I even need an AJA or Blackmagic card", or "why can't I color correct on my 9" Walmart CRT TV from 1986, even though I am doing an uncompressed HD project for broadcast television". I don't find questions like this amusing, as when young innovative producers that find "new inventive ways" of reducing budgets down to zero (and still get shows on the air), they destroy everything that defines our professional industry. This is exactly what is happening to the professional music business right now, where bands that spend their lives creating music, wind up having it distributed on the web for free, so their is no financial gain from their labor, efforts, and creativity.

And in case my point was lost in my dribble rant, BUY A MIXER.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:52:50 pm

[Bob Zelin] ""why can't I color correct on my 9" Walmart CRT TV from 1986"

You have to admit though, those tvs had an AMAZING picture for the price.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 27, 2008 at 3:50:22 pm

just for the record, the WalMart CRT from 1986 has a better image than a brand new Sony LMD-1410. (and I'm not kidding).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 27, 2008 at 9:03:04 pm

didn't they say the same thing when Avid revolutionized the post workflow....

same rant heart to many times..

and the only thing that comes across is that you BULLY other people into your believe system!

it doesn't help anyone...

Carsten

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]