FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI Out From FCP Problems

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Jones
HDMI Out From FCP Problems
on Mar 20, 2008 at 1:35:00 pm

Hey Guys,

Just got a new AJA iO/HD a month ago and tried for the first time yesterday to use my 42" Sony TV for FCP playback. Hooked the AJA up to the TV via HDMI, and tried to tweak my video and audio playback settings in FCP to get picture and sound, but to no avail. The AJA is receiving both video and audio from FCP, as I tested other analog outputs with the footage. However, I'd like to run out of FCP through the AJA to an HDTV, and I'm having trouble going through HDMI. I figure it might be something as simple as a missed setting. Any help you can give would be great, thanks!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: HDMI Out From FCP Problems
on Mar 20, 2008 at 3:23:21 pm

[Matt Jones] "The AJA is receiving both video and audio from FCP, as I tested other analog outputs with the footage. However, I'd like to run out of FCP through the AJA to an HDTV, and I'm having trouble going through HDMI. I figure it might be something as simple as a missed setting."

The HDMI 1.2 spec does not allow for 24p playback only 60i....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 20, 2008 at 3:50:34 pm

Thanks Gary. I've now got picture and audio to the HDTV, but when I play the video in the timeline, all I get is a still frame on the HDTV, while the audio continues to play. I can't get actual moving video up there, just still frames when I scrub through the sequence. Any ideas on how to achieve fluid video playback on the HDTV?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 20, 2008 at 4:29:36 pm

What format is your timeline?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 20, 2008 at 4:31:28 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "What format is your timeline?"

and is FCP set to show all frames??

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 20, 2008 at 4:52:53 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all your help thus far.

I do have my FCP set to "All Frames". Here are the rest of my settings:

Timeline Settings -

Frame Size: 960x720 (HD(960x720)(16:9))
Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD (960x720)
Editing Timebase 23.98 (this is ghosted, cannot change)
Compressor: DVCPRO HD 720p60

Video Playback Settings -

AJA IoHD 720p60 ProRes 422 (1280x720)

I tried tweaking other settings like Safe/Unlimited RT and Playback Quality, but to no avail. I'm still getting still frames, which only update as I scrub through the project. Again, thanks for all your help so far.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 20, 2008 at 5:56:38 pm

Refresh your av devices.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 20, 2008 at 11:26:21 pm

I'm a PAL man so I work in different frames per seconds so I might be wrong, But

doesn't the FCP video out setting need to match the ioHD timeline setting?

because there is no DVCProHD setting for the ioHD I think you need to create a ProRes timeline and drop your DVCPro clips into that (say no to set timeline to match footage!)
Cretae the timeline with the same video out setting as you have now. Also you have to choose the right HQ or not HQ setting for your output matching your timeline otherwise you have same problem again.

Last problem in all this is that I think you need a newish MacPro for it to be able to convert DVCProHD to ProRes on the fly.

Now I could be wrong ....

Carsten

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 20, 2008 at 11:28:49 pm

[Carsten Orlt] "doesn't the FCP video out setting need to match the ioHD timeline setting? "

sorry should of course be the other way round :-)
FCP timeline match ioHD out setting

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 21, 2008 at 12:37:20 am

[Carsten Orlt] "Last problem in all this is that I think you need a newish MacPro for it to be able to convert DVCProHD to ProRes on the fly. "

you will need a quad intel desktop at minimum to convert DVCPROHD to prores on the fly.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Mar 21, 2008 at 2:36:33 pm

Guys,

Thank you so much! By changing my timeline settings to exactly match my video playback settings, I was able to get the video to play out on the HDTV. You guys are awesome...thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]