FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can someone clarify Gen10 setting

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
Can someone clarify Gen10 setting
on Mar 18, 2008 at 9:49:35 pm

I'm capturing from a Sony 5500 HDCAM-SR deck via the IoHD to MacBookPro.

It seems if I hook up the Gen10 FCP has issues (unexpectedly quits).

I have tried going to the Io and deck with the Gen 10 set to HD for ports 4 and 5. The deck only show SD Ref Sync and the Io's ref light in front goes out when FCP is active.

All the dip switches are set to the left except for the 2nd one which is on the right for HD - Out 4/5

If I unhook everything and set ref on the IoHD to video in it seems to work better.

(FWIW - the ref doesn't seem to work at all when hooked up to the LTC connector)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Can someone clarify Gen10 setting
on Mar 19, 2008 at 5:09:57 pm

Well I having issue with FCP quitting with reference set to Video In on the IoHD also.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 19, 2008 at 10:37:22 pm

Hi -
the SRW-5500 is one of the most complicated VTR's that has ever come out. If you are going to use tri level sync, you have set the GEN 10 correctly (for HD sync which is tri level, and the rest of the switches to the left, which will make the tri level sync at 1080i, and not 720p), but THE VTR must be set to accept tri level sync, and not standard sync. There are MILLIONS of menus, and I do not know the correct menu setting for the SWR-5500. I just suffered yesterday with a GEN10 and the Panasonic AJ-HD1400, which has it's own set of menus (which is A LOT easier than the SRW-5500).

It's easy to post on this AJA forum, saying "my GEN10 isn't working), but you need an SRW-5500 expert that knows these menus, because it is CONFUSING. If you have rented this VTR (I bet you did), I urge you to call your rental company for support on this.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 19, 2008 at 11:00:41 pm

Thanks Bob. You are not kidding this deck has a ton of menus and yes it is rented. In the end I don't think the Gen10 even comes into play, AJA told me that on capture it just syncs to the video on the sdi, which is why the ref light goes out when I launch log and capture or batch capture. I was thinking it "wasn't working" my first thought is normally "I have it set wrong"

In the end it may have been a driver issue. AJA had me flash all the firmware and reinstall the IoHD drivers. Things seem to be working a bit better.

It is just high pressure to capture with all the equipment that I have not used before (the IoHD and SRW5500) add to the fact that the deck is $4500 for the week. I need to get everything logged captured (about 40 hours of tape) and still have time to double check everything to make sure I got it (right) before I ship the deck back. We normally just record to HDCAM and so I just need to rent the JH3 deck to capture, this time we had to use the decks at a studio and they only had the SRW5000 which only records in SR mode. Sure made it a lot more expensive (HDCAM SR vs. HDCAM added about $7K to the project! )

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 19, 2008 at 11:05:08 pm

Michael,
you never get used to this. I know the JH-3 (you have to learn where the 23PD menu is), and I just got to know the AJ-HD1400 better (Menu 013 is the 720/1080 system selection, and menu 630 allows you to take a 1080i DVCProHD signal, and output it at 1080 instead of converting it to 720 - this took an hour to figure out). And of course, all of this is nothing compared to the nightmare SRW-5500. And you know what, another VTR will come out, with all new menus, and you will go thru this again, and again, and again. Its NEVER going to be over, it's never going to be easy. I feel your pain.

Glad you are up (I hope you are up) - it's hard when you are paying so much for a rental VTR.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 21, 2008 at 4:04:45 pm

Well this deck gets even more interesting. Seems like it is too smart for its own good (or at least my own good). On one set of tapes (8 multicam of a concert) the studio started to record Non Drop frame (didn't know that they did this, it was the first show recorded but the 3 show captured, we were wondering why we couldn't get ProTools to stay in Record, guess we solved that mystery) instead of Drop frame. So I shuttle through the Program Line cut to log all the segments and capture the first tape. Then as always I drag those clips back into the log and capture window and change the name to add CAM 1, CAM 2 and so on. Now with a new tape inserted and it is parked over a NDF section, it starts changing TC for the IN and OUT as well as the duration. I'm like WTH! I keep deleting the new clips, starting and restarting FCP and my computer. I finally break out the manual and set the deck to AUTO detect TC and low and behold the start clip is NDF, so I just advance the tape to next clip and the studio reset the TC (to fix the ProTools issue) to time of day and thankfully back to DF. Once I was parked on that the log and capture updating clip's TC was back to normal.

Took me about 3 days to get comfortable with the deck but now I'm rocking and rolling, only about an hour left to go.

Loving the IoHD though, capturing on my MPB to removable SATA drives, finish a section than remove the drive and put into another bay hooked up to my desktop to transfer to my RAID, so while capturing other shows I can setup the multicam segments as well as cut the first show for timing and than sent the drives off to my main editor in CA.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]