FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 and IOHD workflow

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jerry Parker
EX-1 and IOHD workflow
on Mar 10, 2008 at 3:32:50 pm

Question regarding workflow
I am considering a Sony EX-1 to use with FCP and an IOHD.
I will need to convert to SD, the EX-1 files are already on the hard drive is there any way that the IOHD can convert these to SD or do I need to recapture through the IOHD, with it set to a different output. That would defeat the “tapeless” workflow. The EX-1 does not have an SD mode although it can export an SD signal. All of the edited will need to be run to DVD SP to burn standard DVD’s, presume I would still need Compressor for those files. Also if I had a long program captured at the 25mbs setting, can it be up scaled to higher quality in the IOHD, or is it best to capture at the highest resolution(35mbps) how much different does it look?
I don’t want to make an expensive mistake here, thanks for helping me understand how these devices work together.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: EX-1 and IOHD workflow
on Mar 10, 2008 at 6:28:28 pm

[jerry Parker] "the EX-1 files are already on the hard drive is there any way that the IOHD can convert these to SD"

Not from a file based format, no. You'd have to recapture like you said.

What kind of SD do you need? For DVD? Tape? The ioHD can downconvert in realtime if laying of to tape. If you need and SD DVD, then simply create an SD DVD through compressor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
Re: EX-1 and IOHD workflow
on Mar 18, 2008 at 7:20:39 pm

I don't completely understand why you even need an Io-HD. If you acquire on the EX 1 and your final product is always DVD, why not go straight from Final Cut to Compressor? I don't see why you need the Io unless you either come in from some tape format, or need to go out some tape format.

You will need something to feed your HD monitor, but there are many less expensive options than an Io-HD if that is all you need to do.

To me, the Io-HD is the swiss army knife of input/output devices. In our system, we have one Io, but we have an old Betacam deck, and HDV deck, and a XDCAM deck hooked up to it all at once. The only time we use the Io-HD for the XDCAM deck is when we want to transcode XDCAM into ProRes422 for whatever reason.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]