FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Ingest DVCPro HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Allison
Can't Ingest DVCPro HD
on Feb 29, 2008 at 2:44:40 pm

Trying to go from Sony HVR-M25U HDV deck to FCP via Io HD. Using HMDI out from the deck to the Io. ProRes422 works great, but I can't get DVCProHD to work. This is not a big deal, because off the top of my head, I can't see any reason to use DVCPRoHD over ProRes422. But still, it should work, and I can't figure out why it is not.

The video shows up in the Log and Capture window. I can set in and out points to ingest a particular shot. This video is squeezed into a 4x3 box, even though it shows up fine as 16x9 on the monitor. However, I believe this is normal. But when I actually start the ingest process, the capture screen is black. Audio is being captured.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Can't Ingest DVCPro HD
on Feb 29, 2008 at 3:04:16 pm

[Tim Allison] "Trying to go from Sony HVR-M25U HDV deck to FCP via Io HD. Using HMDI out from the deck to the Io. ProRes422 works great, but I can't get DVCProHD to work"

your host machine is not powerful enough to be able to process the DVCPROHD content, the DVCPROHD material needs the faster CPUs to handle the processing since the IoHD can only handle ProRes internally- the host machine needs to handle the DVCPRO materials.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Feb 29, 2008 at 3:51:55 pm

That can't be Gary. This is a brand new MacPro....the MOST powerful machine that Apple presently sells...3.2 Ghz 8-core with 16 GB RAM. If this machine can't handle it, then it can't be done.

Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 29, 2008 at 4:50:51 pm

What if you use a different connection instead of hdmi? Try analog component for example.

Just trying to rule stuff out here.

Return to posts index

Christopher Tay
on Mar 6, 2008 at 10:56:39 am

If we're using HD-SDI input on the IoHD on a Mac Pro (3Ghz or 3.2Ghz), can we safely capture it to DVCProHD or Uncompressed 8bit and 10bit HD ?

Is there any DVCProHD acceleration on the IoHD ?

Also, if we edit with DVCProHD materials, can we output to tape using the IoHD ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 6, 2008 at 4:01:19 pm

[Christopher Tay] "can we safely capture it to DVCProHD "

Yes, but it's a software transcode.

[Christopher Tay] "Uncompressed 8bit and 10bit HD ? "

No. That kind of bandwidth won't fit in a fw800 stream.

[Christopher Tay] "Is there any DVCProHD acceleration on the IoHD ? "

Nope.

[Christopher Tay] "Also, if we edit with DVCProHD materials, can we output to tape using the IoHD ? "

Yes, but it gets transcoded to ProRes. The thing to keep in mind with the ioHD is that ProRes is sent back and forth on the FW800 in HD. SD codec will send whatever codec (just like the io SD) but in HD it's ProRes. ANything else gets a software transcode before getting sent out to the ioHD.

Really, when using the ioHD for HD, your best bet is to use ProRes and ProResHQ. ProRes is pretty sweet by the way if you haven't checked it out yet.

Return to posts index

Christopher Tay
on Mar 7, 2008 at 6:20:14 am

Hi Jeremy,

How long does it take to transcode the DVCProHD to ProRes before it can go out to tape via the IoHD ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 7, 2008 at 1:42:03 pm

It happens in real time if playing DVCPro HD out of the ioHD.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]