FORUMS: list search recent posts

IoHD and FCP timecode problem

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter King
IoHD and FCP timecode problem
on Feb 9, 2008 at 5:45:27 pm

Hi all,

I am awaiting my new Mac Pro with Kona 3, and in the meantime I have been given a replacement machine with the ioHD unit.

I am trying to capture digibeta via SDI with a Sony J-30, but I am having problems getting FCP to recognise a timecode from the io unit. The AJA control panel is recognising it fine, and I was wondering if I had missed something either in the io output settings or on the FCP input settings.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers,

Pete

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: IoHD and FCP timecode problem
on Feb 9, 2008 at 6:17:23 pm

Do you have RS422 hooked up? FCP cannot read SDI timecode nor can the deck be controlled via SDI.

Return to posts index

Peter King
on Feb 10, 2008 at 2:02:32 am

I don't have the RS422 hooked up, and I haven't been supplied with one. Shit. I will have to go searching for one first thing.

Thanks for the reply

Pete

Return to posts index

Hans Vernhout
on Feb 10, 2008 at 3:27:01 pm

You could also download the AJA VTR Xchange utility from the AJA site and use that to capture. It can use the embedded timecode from the SDI-signal that comes into the IoHD.

Hans Vernhout
Director / lighting cameraman
The Netherlands

Return to posts index

david skillicorn
on Feb 15, 2008 at 3:58:13 am

I have this dilemma as well... in that I will be capturing from Panasonic HDX 900 which has not rs-422, and the IOHD can't take its firewire feed.

So I will be coming in HD-SDI, using VTR Exchange as you suggest... however, any thoughts on still being able to get "deck" control of the camera somehow through the cameras firewire port?

otherwise, it will be a hard roll, and a capture now sort of process.

Any ideas, or is deck control out of the question in this configuration?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 15, 2008 at 7:10:52 am

You will be able to read tc off of the HD-SDI stream and also remove redundant 720p frames if you like.

You are all set.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Hans Vernhout
on Feb 15, 2008 at 7:44:18 am

The capture now process will work fine, except you won't have deck control to your camera. Remember to first let your camera roll before starting capture in AJA VTR Xchange or your SDI embedded timecode might not be captured correctly.

I don't think VTR Xchange will allow you to select a Firewire card - connected to your HDX 900 - as a deck control connection.

But if you're gonna try this, please let me know the results.

Good luck,

Hans Vernhout
Director / lighting cameraman
The Netherlands

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 15, 2008 at 3:22:45 pm

[Hans Vernhout] "I don't think VTR Xchange will allow you to select a Firewire card - connected to your HDX 900 - as a deck control connection. "

No, you will have to capture now while rolling. I have done this with a Varicam, HPX500 and an SDX900. The HD Cameras I was able to remove all redundant frames from the 720p stream and also retain camera timecode via HD SDI. I will be soon trying it out with an HPX2000 and I expect the same results. It is truly an awesome feature. Green Screen acquisition shines with this setup.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 11, 2008 at 4:36:19 pm

[Peter King] "Shit. I will have to go searching for one first thing. "

Ha! How'd you have it hooked up to your Kona3?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 11, 2008 at 4:44:10 pm

Any pro video store should have an RS-422 cable. They're very easy to find on the web, as well.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]