FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA IoHD capture green pixels

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Lund
AJA IoHD capture green pixels
on Feb 9, 2008 at 4:31:28 am

Hi everybody,
I'm new to posting to Creative Cow but I've got a question for you helpful people out there.
I have an AJA IoHD set up to capture from a Sony UVW-1800 (Beta SP). I have it connected through RGB cables going from the deck to the AJA. For some reason when capturing through the capture window in Final Cut Pro, the bottom half of the capture screen is all green pixels. The deck will playback perfectly through my external preview monitor. But when trying to capture through Final Cut Pro the bottom half of the capture source is green pixels.
Also, Final Cut will not capture when this is happening. It puts up an error message saying there is no video source to capture.
Let me know if you have any ideas. I also tried it through the S-video input with the same results.
Thanx,
Anders

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AJA IoHD capture green pixels
on Feb 9, 2008 at 4:02:18 pm

do you have ANYTHING ELSE on your firewire buss ? Are you using FW800 drives ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 9, 2008 at 5:00:47 pm

Does it work when you use only the control panel and not FCP? Bob, that's your go to.

OPen the control panel and choose input passthrough from the control tab and see if you get a clean image on your monitor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Anders Lund
on Feb 9, 2008 at 9:05:09 pm

I am running the AJA through a hard drive to a MacBook Pro Intel Duo 2 X2 2.3Ghz 3 GB RAM.
I am using the the fw800 port on both the hard drive and the notebook. I have tried capturing it to the internal drive as well.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 10, 2008 at 4:06:35 pm

well, you have just answered why it is NOT working. You CANNOT work this way - it will NEVER work.

You must get a slot 34 adaptor, and run your drive on a SEPERATE BUSS, so that the I/O HD hooks up directly to the FW800 buss, and your drives (Firewire or SATA) hookup to the 34 slot adaptor (many companies make these, like Cal Digit, Sonnet, Firmtek, Dulce, etc.). It SPECIFICALLY states in the manual that you CANNOT hookup the I/O HD and a drive to the same FW port. If you try hooking up the I/O HD to the FW400 and the drive to the FW800, this will ALSO NOT WORK. YOU MUST purchase the slot 34 adaptor.

To prove this to yourself, just for a test, simply disconnect your drive, and capture to your internal hard drive, and you will see that there is no problem with the I/O HD.

Unplug your FW drive right now.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Feb 10, 2008 at 11:00:19 pm

It's not the exact same problem but the other day I was using MPEG Streamclip and when converting out to ProRes (tried both Normal and HQ) I got a green line down the whole left side of my footage. I am using version 1.9 and converting from M2T files. Anyone else experience this?

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Anders Lund
on Feb 12, 2008 at 8:38:27 pm

Bob,
Thanks for your response. I did not know there was a problem sharing the FW800 bus with the hard drive and the AJA. What's strange is that I haven't had a problem capturing up to this point (running the AJA through my capture HD.) Perhaps its more of a problem when capturing HD source footage.
Thanks again for your help, I am going to order one of those 34 adapters today.
-Anders

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 13, 2008 at 1:00:54 am

[Anders Lund] "I did not know there was a problem sharing the FW800 bus with the hard drive and the AJA."

Anders= you did not read the manual or the website then- the warning is listed in at least 5 places between the 2 locations.

To Confirm - you cannot use the ANY AJA IO product on the same bus as any other FW device.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Anders Lund
on Feb 13, 2008 at 2:44:10 am

Yes, I have seen both the website and the manual where it says you need separate firewire buses. For some reason we were getting away with it up until now.
Do you use any 34 adapters that you would recommend?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 13, 2008 at 2:12:40 pm

[Anders Lund] "Do you use any 34 adapters that you would recommend?"

I use the Sonnet adaptors for Esata and FW.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]