FORUMS: list search recent posts

IO HD and jKONA LHe DO'S AND DON'T S THE LIST

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
drazen stader
IO HD and jKONA LHe DO'S AND DON'T S THE LIST
on Jan 31, 2008 at 1:46:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of a huge dilemma: which card to buy to complete my new macpro 2.8ghz editing suite... so I've decided to make a list of questions concerning the capabilites of IO HD and in some part also the KONA LHe which is also a hot candidate....

AJA IO HD...

1. is it only PRO RES...or it can do also DVCPRO HD...
If DVCPROHD is possible it would be cool, since I shoot mostly with hvx200 in dvcprohd codec....and I like this codec very much...

2. Edit, print to analog beta (component) or digibeta via sdi....how rock solid is AJA IOHD in these situations based on user's experience...I see there are some new drivers outhere the 5.1 version ...this issue is most important to me...we do a lot of broadcast...it is often time critical and we need something reliable for dumping to digi or analog beta in wee wee hours...

and if possible something that could be as reliable on the macpro desktop as well as on the MBP (JULY 2007, 2,44GHZ 4GB RAM) edition...we owe an analog beta...in case of digi beta we only have access to one...which would mean carry the MBP and AJA IO/HD to another production facility for dumping to digi beta - is anyone doing this on a daily basis....is it rock steady or is it shaky and buggy??

3. hd monitoring....I do my color correction in apple 3way, colorista or color - depending on time and budget...I hear that using AJA IO HD with Color, I could only get SD monitoring due to color and not to aja issues...is this a temporarly issue or a steady one that will not change down the road???...

what about other applications such as: colorista and 3 way color, motion, shake, after effects can I get hd monitoring via hd analog or hd-sdi from those applications...is this working already...

4. I have a lot of projects shot in hdv, captured and edited in hdv...does AJA IOHD do hdv realtime monitoring or not...does it have any accelerations when working strictly in hdv timelines...is there any advantages concerning those issues...what about dumping hdv back to tape via firewire

5. On set capturing? Occasionaly when shooting green screen stuff I see AJA IO/HD in combo with MBP as an useful tool to by-pass different compression issues...is anyone using it a shooting- realtime capturing prores hd device...how reliable is this combination...I might even do some stuff with new sony xdcam ex1 and I thought using ex1 hd-sdi out to capture in hd prores 4:2:2 sampling... would that be possible?

6.Would AJA IO/HD allow me to use panasonic panasonic bt-lh1 1700w monitor or jvc 24ld1 as second computer monitor when editing on road with my MBP in fcp 6.0.2? Or is this too much to ask? And then when color correcting switching back the monitors to hd-sdi to proper broadcast gamut monitoring...

7. Does AJA IO/HD allow multiple monitoring...such as SD and HD in the same time....

8. What additional cables and accesories do I need to assure myself when buying AJA IO/HD for capturing/editing from/back to analog (via component) or digital beta (via sdi)....to get proper synch, timecode, and frame accurate process...before placing the order I need to know this stuff...

9. What are the biggest adavantages of KONA lhe in these above stated issues when compared to AJA IO/HD...what are the issues KONA lhe beats AJA....

Bob, Walter and the rest of the crew thanks ahead for the input...these are most important concerns for me...

Best regards

Drazen

http://www.staderzen.com

http://www.honeymoonthemovie.net

drazen

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: IO HD and jKONA LHe DO'S AND DON'T S THE LIST
on Jan 31, 2008 at 4:23:18 pm

I'm not Bob or Walter, but I will take a stab at it.

[drazen stader] "1. is it only PRO RES...or it can do also DVCPRO HD...
If DVCPROHD is possible it would be cool, since I shoot mostly with hvx200 in dvcprohd codec....and I like this codec very much...
"

If you play out anything but ProRes in HD, it gets transcoded to ProRes and sent to the ioHD, i.e., your DVCPro HD footage will get transcoded on the fly to ProRes for output. This can present a problem on slower machines as the computer has to work very hard to do this. On laptops it is not advisable to edit DVCPro HD although it can be possible depending on format. It's best to use ProRes with the ioHD. In SD, the ioHd will pass uncompressed.

[drazen stader] "2. Edit, print to analog beta (component) or digibeta via sdi....how rock solid is AJA IOHD in these situations based on user's experience...I see there are some new drivers outhere the 5.1 version ...this issue is most important to me...we do a lot of broadcast...it is often time critical and we need something reliable for dumping to digi or analog beta in wee wee hours... "

The ioHD works only on a strict 7AM-9PM schedule. It does not take coffee breaks or charge overtime, but it simply will not work overnight. Just kidding. The work that I have done with it has all been pleasing. It has been working great.

[drazen stader] "3. hd monitoring....I do my color correction in apple 3way, colorista or color - depending on time and budget...I hear that using AJA IO HD with Color, I could only get SD monitoring due to color and not to aja issues...is this a temporarly issue or a steady one that will not change down the road???..."

Color will give you Sd only and I have no idea if it will be fixed. I would think it will. Any other plug in you use within Final Cut itself will allow Hd color correction.

[drazen stader] "4. I have a lot of projects shot in hdv, captured and edited in hdv...does AJA IOHD do hdv realtime monitoring or not...does it have any accelerations when working strictly in hdv timelines...is there any advantages concerning those issues...what about dumping hdv back to tape via firewire "

See number 1

[drazen stader] "5. On set capturing? Occasionally when shooting green screen stuff I see AJA IO/HD in combo with MBP as an useful tool to by-pass different compression issues...is anyone using it a shooting- realtime capturing prores hd device...how reliable is this combination...I might even do some stuff with new sony xdcam ex1 and I thought using ex1 hd-sdi out to capture in hd prores 4:2:2 sampling... would that be possible?"

Oh yes. It is totally awesome for this.

[drazen stader] "6.Would AJA IO/HD allow me to use panasonic panasonic bt-lh1 1700w monitor or jvc 24ld1 as second computer monitor when editing on road with my MBP in fcp 6.0.2? Or is this too much to ask? And then when color correcting switching back the monitors to hd-sdi to proper broadcast gamut monitoring...
"

So you plan on hooking up those monitors via DVI to your computer and then switching the input to SDI/ioHD when you want to monitor video? I don't know about that one. In theory it might work, but then again it might not.

[drazen stader] "7. Does AJA IO/HD allow multiple monitoring...such as SD and HD in the same time.... "

Yes, HD-SDI, SD-SDI, HD component, SD Component, SD S-video SD Composite, HDMI SD/HD and any combination there in. The ioHD Control Panel helps you sort out your ins, outs and conversions.

[drazen stader] "8. What additional cables and accessories do I need to assure myself when buying AJA IO/HD for capturing/editing from/back to analog (via component) or digital beta (via sdi)....to get proper synch, timecode, and frame accurate process...before placing the order I need to know this stuff... "

Totally depends on what gear you are hooking into it. Take a look at all the connections on the back and think of the kind of cable that connects to those ports. That will get you started. Then you might need tri or bi level sync. AJA also has you covered with the Gen10.

[drazen stader] "9. What are the biggest adavantages of KONA lhe in these above stated issues when compared to AJA IO/HD...what are the issues KONA lhe beats AJA.... "

If you need to output anything BUT ProRes in HD including Uncompressed HD or 4:4:4.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 31, 2008 at 5:38:41 pm

[drazen stader] "If DVCPROHD is possible it would be cool, since I shoot mostly with hvx200 in dvcprohd codec....and I like this codec very much... "

DVCPROHD is possible from a desktop system, as is uncompressed playback,
neither is possible from a laptop.

"I do my color correction in apple 3way, colorista or color - depending on time and budget...I hear that using AJA IO HD with Color, I could only get SD monitoring due to color and not to aja issues"

the Color issue is an apple ONLY issue and needs to be addressed by them- your guess is as good as anyone else's, FCP and Colorista can be used without issue at full rez.

" have a lot of projects shot in hdv, captured and edited in hdv...does AJA IOHD do hdv realtime monitoring "
On a desktop system HDV content can be monitored, Apple does not allow for any acceleration with 3rd parties.

"On set capturing?" No Sweat... do it all the time.

"Would AJA IO/HD allow me to use panasonic panasonic bt-lh1 1700w monitor or jvc 24ld1 as second computer monitor when editing on road with my MBP in fcp 6.0.2?."

the Panny monitor does not have any inputs for the computer to feed- however with both displays you could connect the JVC via DVI for your desktop and Have the panny monitor connected via HDSDI.

"Does AJA IO/HD allow multiple monitoring...such as SD and HD in the same time.... " YES All video out are live all of the time, and with the Downconversion you can even get SDI outputs for SD content.

[drazen stader] "What are the biggest adavantages of KONA lhe in these above stated issues when compared to AJA IO/HD...what are the issues KONA lhe beats AJA...."

Kona cards offer a couple of things not possible with the iohd

Macintosh Desktop preview
dual link capture and playback
2K capture and playback.
uncompressed capture and playback
multiple codec compression possibilities

The IoHD offers

analog and digital capture
HDMI
Hardware accelerated PRO RES capture.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

drazen stader
on Jan 31, 2008 at 6:17:25 pm

Hi Jeremy, hi gary

It's true neither of you is bob nor walter but...oh boy...you're good...very good...great I should say...

Thanks for the great input...you solved my dilemmas all the way...though I have one small question to ask based on what's been written above...

Macintosh Desktop preview?
dual link capture and playback?

What does this options do in real editing life? What are the occasions I would need those two options...apart from that seems to me that for me at this stage...aja io hd would be definitely the way to go....

best regards

Drazen

drazen

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 31, 2008 at 6:43:59 pm

[drazen stader] "hough I have one small question to ask based on what's been written above... "

if you do not know what they are - chances are you do not need them yet.

[drazen stader] "Macintosh Desktop preview? "

you did ask about this - the question about using a panny / Jvc display as a computer monitor on set.

with the Kona cards you can output the mac desktop as video over HD/ SDI

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 31, 2008 at 11:15:19 pm

Hi Jeremy, hi gary

It's true neither of you is bob nor walter but...oh boy...you're good...very good...great I should say...

REPLY - boy, if I was Gary or Jeremy, I would be pretty insulted by this, as both Gary and Jeremy know alot more than I do !

dual link capture and playback?

REPLY - the I/O HD WILL NOT do dual link capture and playback - only the Kona 3 will do this.

REPLY - I have read your requirements - you need the I/O HD.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

drazen stader
on Jan 31, 2008 at 11:35:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I was just kidding obviously, replying to jeremy's kidding beore and of course didn't want to insult anyone's feeling outhere....just show some gratitude for the efforts and knowledge you're all putting in helping make the right decision tomorrow morning...

yes I agree Bob....IO HD would be a good first move for me...one question though....

now it's already been a while since prores is outhere...)'ve read a lot of posts concernign its issue...now I wonder what's your final verdict on that codec...how loseless, how well does it stand toward the test of some serious compositing, editing, is as good as advertised and do you think it will hold well down the road...

best regards and again thanks to everyone for their input...

Drazen

drazen

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2008 at 3:48:49 am

[drazen stader] "how loseless, how well does it stand toward the test of some serious compositing, editing, is as good as advertised and do you think it will hold well down the road... "

I don't know what your workflow is, but it's been holding up well for me. I wouldn't say I do 'serious' composting but I have been doing some green screen work and graphics/text have been holding up nicely. The jury's still out as I have not been working with it that long, but as of right now, I have no reason to switch back to uncompressed. I have output two projects to tape and it passed all around. The green screen project that I am currently working on will probably be my final litmus test. All test composites have proven to hold up, and the footage was captured straight out of camera to ProResHQ via ioHD.

Return to posts index

Johnny Clark
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:23:05 pm

Hey Jeremy,
What is your current setup going into the IOHD? Computer too?
Just curious about what's been working for you.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:36:30 pm

Hey Johnny. For the ioHD I use a 17" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo with 3 GBs of RAM (I guess it would be the second generation, not the newest one). I have os 10.4.11, QT 7.3.1, and a 2 drive Firmtek SATA array hooked up through a Sonnet Express34 card. I have captured and laid off to and from BetaSP (UVW 1800), DV50 (AJ-SD93), and DVCPro HD (AJ-1400). I have also captured straight to disk from an HVX200, HPX500 (this one is nice as you can remove redundant frames via SDI and preserve tc), SDX900 and soon I will be taking it on the road with a Varicam or HPX2000, not sure which one yet but probably something of the Panasonic 720p ilk. I have NOT done any straight captures with 1080i or p yet, although instead of the Varicam there's a chance we might take the HPX3000 and I will be testing that out soon. I have done test captures in the edit suite (passing 1080i or p material to the ioHD and capturing that) and everything seems to be fine, but there's no business like show business and until I get out in the field with it, the jury is still out on the 1080 situation. Anything else you need or do you need any other specifics?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 4, 2008 at 8:12:51 pm

DVCPROHD can be edited on a MacBook Pro... I do it all the time. It's data rate is lower than ProRes or ProRes HQ, both of which can be edited on a laptop... I use an eSata card and array with it on the MacBook Pro with these two formats.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]