FORUMS: list search recent posts

AES audio to 5.1 receiver.

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yasgur
AES audio to 5.1 receiver.
on Jan 21, 2008 at 7:59:22 pm

I want to use my IOHD to send a 5.1 mix and component video to my home theatre. Has anyone done that and how do you convert the BNC audio to RCA. This evening I will connect my video through the IOHD and the audio from my firebox.

WIll I blow anything up or have any latency issues?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AES audio to 5.1 receiver.
on Jan 21, 2008 at 9:52:25 pm

with 4 analog outputs, how do you expect to feed the 6 inputs of your receiver ?

Left
Right
Left Rear
Right Rear
Center
Subwoofer (the .1)

You get an XLR to RCA adaptor. On the XLR, short Pin 1 and 3 together, and leave pin 2 as hot. If this is a consumer receiver (and it probably is), you will be sending a +4dBu signal from the AJA into your -10dB consumer - this means that you would get DISTORTION because of a level mismatch. "Well, what should I do" - uug - use professional equipment for this.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:27:25 pm

Hi Bob,

I went with a couple of ADA4's to convert the audio to analog. Haven't gotten them yet but will let you know how it works.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Feb 3, 2008 at 9:02:32 pm

You need both, DA converters plus level matching.
AJA has servo balanced outputs which do increase level by 6 dB when you connect pin 3 to ground.

You would probably do better and even save some $$ with an audio interface like M-Audio FireWire 410:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Firewire410

It has eight -10dB outputs which you can connect directly to receiver inputs - unless you have one of those 10k$ hi fi monsters with golden XLR's..

Peter

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Feb 4, 2008 at 4:27:24 pm

This is my main problem. I can't hook any firewire devices up to my MBPro due to the conflict with the IOHD. SInce all of my footage is on an ESata raid via my expresscard slot, I have no way to use my other interfaces. I already have a Digi 003 and a Presonus Firebox.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:24:16 pm

Success!! I have tied my IOHD and MBPro into my home theatre system. I rigged my 5.1 uncompressed, unencoded audio into my receiver for live realtime editing. I used a pair of the AJA ADA4 converters to take the AES audio to analog. I added some Neutrik transformers inline and everything looks great and sounds great! I know the IOHD was meant for remote capture to Pro res but once I have my capture, I can edit realtime and see what it will end up like when it goes to TV via broadcast or DVD.

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]