FORUMS: list search recent posts

IOhd and Avid DNx codec playing nicely?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Martin
IOhd and Avid DNx codec playing nicely?
on Jan 18, 2008 at 9:30:30 pm

Hi Guys

Anyone having any luck with the IO hd and Avid DNX codec with FCP 6? AJA recommends against this but I need to import a fair amount of DNx material...

Thanks...

Dave Martin

- MacPro - MacBook Pro -

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: IOhd and Avid DNx codec playing nicely?
on Jan 18, 2008 at 11:45:21 pm

[Dave Martin] "
Anyone having any luck with the IO hd and Avid DNX codec with FCP 6? AJA recommends against this but I need to import a fair amount of DNx material..."

Sorry
no joy...

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Dave Martin
on Jan 18, 2008 at 11:50:13 pm

Maybe I just don't power up the IOhd, transcode to ProRes through compressor with the Avid codecs, unload the codecs and carry on?

Dave Martin

- MacPro - MacBook Pro -

Return to posts index

Dave Martin
on Jan 23, 2008 at 9:28:23 pm

This seems to work...anyone else?

Dave Martin

- MacPro - MacBook Pro -

Return to posts index

todd reid
on Feb 4, 2008 at 3:37:19 pm

I'm having lots of trouble with DNx too.
I'll be monitoring this thread to see what comes of it.

Since purchasing a new system:
xeon octocore
Leopard
AJA HD
QT 7.4
FCP 6.0.2

I installed the avid codecs (brand new ones as of last week) on this new system (worked perfectly many times on old system: MBP, QT 7.3.1, FCP 6.0.1).

now on new system the DNx exports are horrible.
Darks are blotchy and whole picture is milky.
There is no place to change the quality from medium. I can choose to include an alpha now, but that doesn't help me.

I've been just exporting lossless QT and taking it to the MBP for delivery export.

Return to posts index

Dave Martin
on Feb 5, 2008 at 3:15:34 am

I'm simply trying to import dnx footage so your mileage may vary but...

I've had tremendous success!

When it's time to load footage I simply power down the system, turn off the IO HD and power back up. Once I'm booted I simply take the AVID codecs (which I store on the desktop) and move them into the library/quicktime folder. I go to compressor and transcode the footage...once the transcode is finished, I move the dnx codecs out of the quicktime folder and back on to the desktop, power down, power up the IO HD and reboot my Mac...works like a charm!!!

A friend at AJA suggested this may work but it is completely unsupported...

Dave Martin

- MacPro - MacBook Pro -

Return to posts index

todd reid
on Feb 5, 2008 at 8:12:33 pm

Hey Dave-

What am I missing?

I can't find the AVID codecs within Compressor. I haven't done your trick, but its interesting. I was checking things out and I couldn't find the DNx within compressor. I looked and the avid codecs are in library/quicktime, so I should see them right?

What folder is it in?

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave Martin
on Feb 5, 2008 at 10:19:25 pm

the avid codecs are in library/quicktime folder...pull them out when you want to use the IO HD...

Dave Martin

- MacPro - MacBook Pro -

Return to posts index

Bradford Keatts
on Mar 14, 2008 at 9:41:51 pm

Can anyone bring me up to date on the I/O HD and DNX issue?
I may be able to help. I use both systems but have considerable
knowledge on the Avid side of things. For one, without knowing
the whole scope of the problem, Apple updates their products frequently and can potentially cause conflict to others. Avid is very specific and cautious about certifying versions of QT,OS, or anything that could potentially create more bugs than you already have. The DNX codec is only approved for 7.2 Quicktime. FCP is pushing you into 7.4 The problem may be there.
I've attached a link of Specs for Avid Media Composer. Because we are in a digital revolution it can be difficult to keep your system compatible with all Apps. So, in order keep everything aligned you may not be able update one thing
because it will break another.
I can edit in Avid and then AutomaticDuck my sequence into FCP 6 and play it using DNX. But, if I want to play it out a video card or device by AJA I need to either render my FCP Timeline with Pro Res or like you said transcode.
Give me more info and I'll see if I can help.
Bradford
http://www.avid.com/products/media-composer/systemrequirements.asp

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 15, 2008 at 2:28:40 pm

Bradford.

The IoHD is hardcoded ( set up in hardware) to only capture and produce Apples ProRes compression.

The transfer of content between the systems is painful and cumbersome and is NOT going to change anytime soon, if you have needs that require both systems you are better off re-digitizing the your content or material for the online system from the camera originals much like what you are used to in the offline- online world.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Dave Martin
on Mar 15, 2008 at 3:23:14 pm

If you really need the dnx to be in ProRes...my system outlined above really does work well...not TOO painful! 8-)

Dave Martin

- MacPro - MacBook Pro -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]