FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA io HD so far ?2300 for nothing !

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Johnston
AJA io HD so far ?2300 for nothing !
on Jan 6, 2008 at 12:43:16 am

The 1st AJA io HD had a bad sound issue and was replaced. The 2nd worked fine till the Leopard 1.1 update came along. I get great pics for a while then the pic freezes and I can do nothing to unfreeze it, except switch off the unit. I Emailed AJA who told me to " Uninstall Leopard and use the Tiger drivers " !!!!!! What kind of an answer is that ! Everything works as sweet as a nut with Leopard and my video apps, FCP-6, Motion 3 etc seem far more responsive
the only fly in my HD camp being the AJA io HD box. I hope as time goes on that I see some benefits from using this expensive box and updated drivers sooner rather than later. Has anyone else had my problems using this HD box with Leopard or have I got a second pig in the poke.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
Re: AJA io HD so far ?2300 for nothing !
on Jan 6, 2008 at 1:01:26 am

so far so good! all problems could be tracked down to FCP and/or Leopard. Some things are not quite right yet, which even a complete reinstall (and yes everything and no restore) couldn't solve. FCP needs an urgent update for sure, but I feel relatively confident that the ioHD is pretty well setup by AJA.
my 2 cents :-))

Return to posts index

Philip Johnston
on Jan 6, 2008 at 1:43:03 am

Carsten are you talking from experience, do you own the AJA io HD or do you work for AJA.
This may be a Leopard issue but I am stuck with a box costing

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 6, 2008 at 3:41:42 am

Did AJA tell you to go back to Tiger, or just go back to the TIger drivers?

Return to posts index

Philip Johnston
on Jan 6, 2008 at 9:56:24 am

Effectively I was to go back to using Tiger meantime.

"Setting the standards for others to follow"

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 6, 2008 at 5:24:03 pm

Lots of complaints philip, but no info on your system config, hardware, or Application versions so that one of us can assist you,

90% of the time errors like yours are between the floor and the keyboard.

you say the "pic freezes" but not which one - one the canvas, on the external monitor?
are you using the correct easy set up for your work ( HD or SD, 25 or 50, what capture format)

and yes I occasionally work for AJA.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jan 6, 2008 at 9:26:06 pm

i do owe one and no, I'm not working for AJA :-)

Return to posts index

Philip Johnston
on Jan 6, 2008 at 10:58:23 pm

Carsten, are you getting the same problems as me using Leopard.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jan 7, 2008 at 8:00:04 pm

Nope. And the problems I have are not caused by the ioHD but by FCP.

Return to posts index

Philip Johnston
on Jan 7, 2008 at 8:22:55 pm

Carsten what problems do you suffer and how do you do you put it down to FCP.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jan 7, 2008 at 11:33:13 pm

I have garbage frames (in lack of better term to describe) when i open a clip in the viewer and sometimes when opening seq in the canvas. I know that it is fcp because it still happens when I disconnect the ioHD :-)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 7, 2008 at 12:06:28 am

Philip writes -
Leopard was announced over 15 months ago so why were AJA not working "Close" with Apple 15 months ago on the new drivers needed to work with Leopard. FCP6 with Leopard on Intel Macs are the future for HD production it does not take a rocket scientist to determine that.

REPLY -
Hi Philip. I feel your pain. I have urged my customers to not upgrade to Leopard because of the impending doom that you are going thru right now. NO MANUFACTURER (AJA, Blackmagic, ATTO, AVID, Digidesign, Adobe) was invited to work "close" with Apple on the release of Leopard, and now everyone is suffering and trying to play "catchup". In my opinion, you are best off reinstalling Tiger if you need to keep working. I realize that this is easier said than done, as you have all of your stuff on your MAC, and you will lose a day of productive work doing a re-install. I had one of the first I/O HD's, and had problems (that were resolved), but in further installs that I have done with I/O HD's, I have not been willing to "upgrade" to Tiger. When will I feel safe - when Adobe is ready (which is highlighted on the top of EVERY Creative Cow user forum).

Sorry I dont' have a better answer for you. I can advise you to NEVER EVER do an Apple update (OS, Quicktime, or anything else) until you check with the manufacturer (like AJA, Blackmagic, AVID, Adobe, Digidesign, etc. ).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Lou Ann Franicich
on Feb 14, 2008 at 5:28:11 am

Hi- was wondering if there was any resolution to this? Just got my IOHD yesterday and everything was buzzing along nicely until it locked up(output pic freeze). I deleted prefs, updated all drivers, all the usual, and it did it again. Left it on as I went on errands for 4 hours, came back and it was still working well, then it locked up out of the blue again. When I say locked up I mean the external monitor hooked up via SDI (a BT-LH1700W). Final Cut pro 6.02 on my 8 core intel w 4 megs ram keeps humming along, oblivious to the locked up IOHD.

Running Tiger all updated as well. Shut it all down and everything comes back and works until it decides to lock up again. Please assistnce anyone?
LA

Return to posts index

Philip Johnston
on Feb 14, 2008 at 1:21:51 pm

Hi sorry to here this I found AJA more than useless with this problem, I am now running V5 software with Leopard and have a fairly extensive edit next week I will get back to you if this problem re-occurs, I have not had time to re-assess it this week but be sure I will give it full attention next week. If it freezes again it will be going back for good I will not put up with sub standard kit costing £2300 !!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 14, 2008 at 2:55:47 pm

First of all make sure you have downloaded the latest drivers from the website. In that process, the firmware will also update.

Also, PLEASE make sure to try a different firewire 800 cable. Do you have any other firewire devices hooked up to your system? If so remove them.

When your system locks up, does the fw indicator light go out on the front of the ioHD?

ALso, Lou Ann, please give more specific system information Including versions of FCP , QT, OS, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]