on Nov 30, 2007 at 6:36:35 pm

HI. I am sure that everyone knows this, but I just learned it. I am using:
IOHD
Mac Pro 3 gig 8 core 8 gigs ram
JH-3 Deck
HDCAM tapes from Sony Cinealta F900
5 Terabyte esata raid
AJA Gen 10 - (has changed everything)

I had been happily capturing pristine ProRes HQ footage, and realized by deck might be near something that was too hot. I powered everything down - the IOHD LAST - and moved my deck and in the process unplugged it, the computer and the IOHD to move some wires.
I powered back on - the IOHD FIRST - opened the same FCP project, same IOHD Pro Res HQ easy setup, and the log and capture window said that the was no communication with the VTR. I could actually play the footage from the deck, but no tape timecode, so useless to me.

I then trashed my FCP Preferences in the Users library, and the AJA IOHD preferences in the root library preferences library, restarted my computer - Same result.

I called the fabulous support people at AJA, and was told to go to the Apple system preferences, click ONCE on Network, click on the SHOW drop down menu and go to Port configurations and make sure the IOHD serial port was checked (it was not), then click apply, and shut everything down again and then repower up. IOHD powered down last, and powered up first. When I opened my FCP project again, the log and capture window said "VTR OK" and everything worked as it was supposed to work.

Apparently when I unplugged everthing, even though powered down, the mac changed the port configurations.

Best, Connie Simmons

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: VTR No Communication - IOHD and ProRes HQ
on Nov 30, 2007 at 8:50:42 pm

[conniesim] "Apparently when I unplugged everthing, even though powered down, the mac changed the port configurations"

when you launch your hardware, all of the ports reset, Serial ports are handled by the OS and booting the computer without the IoHD powered up can reset any unconnected serial ports

Choose the proper Easy setup again it would have reset to the IoHD's serial ports

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

conniesim
Re: VTR No Communication - IOHD and ProRes HQ
on Dec 2, 2007 at 11:13:19 pm

HI, Gary - Do you know if in port configurations, where you find IOHD serieal - checked - whether you need the built in firewire checked or unchecked?

Thanks, Connie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]