FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beta SP to DV using Io/LA

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cmtv crew
Beta SP to DV using Io/LA
on Nov 21, 2007 at 6:53:05 pm

I am having trouble capturing my Beta SP footage to Final Cut DV codec using my LA. On our IO there is an easy setup for Betacam 8-bit to DV, but on the system using the LA I do not have the option. Any suggestions. I have tried custom setup with no luck either. Thanks

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: Beta SP to DV using Io/LA
on Nov 22, 2007 at 3:02:49 pm

Not in front of either of my systems right now, and I only capture Beta to UC or DV50 (which I would strongly suggest over DV anyway). All IO systems (including IOLA and LD) come with Beta to DV setups. You can delete easy setups from your system if you know you won't use them, which might have been the case here, but in any case you should be able to create an easy setup. What have you done to create one, have you read through the manual to see if you're following the steps (which are very simple, use the Create Easy Setup button)?
Ed

[cmtv crew] "I am having trouble capturing my Beta SP footage to Final Cut DV codec using my LA. On our IO there is an easy setup for Betacam 8-bit to DV, but on the system using the LA I do not have the option. Any suggestions. I have tried custom setup with no luck either. Thanks"

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 22, 2007 at 7:36:25 pm

I am not in front of my system either (it's Thanksgiving, damn it !), but the I/O LA does not automatically load all the Easy Setups (don't ask). If you download the I/O LA drivers from the web from the http://www.aja.com site, once you expand the folder, you will see the rest of the Easy Setups in this folder, where you can manually drag these to where the other easy setups are.

However, you don't need any of this. You can manually select this RIGHT NOW. Select any of the AJA I/O LA easy setups like Betacam 8 bit uncompressed. This will select analog audio and analog component video. Go to your Audio/Video Settings, select Capture Preset tab (the middle one), and scroll down the list until you see the preset selected (it will have a check mark next to it). Double Click on this. Once this window opens, you will see the COMPRESSION selection , which right now is selected for 8 bit uncompressed - click on that, and select DV/DVCPro, and you will have the same selection as your Easy Setup as your other system.

Just make sure that your SEQUENCE PRESETS are set for DV/DVCPro compression as well (that your sequence is not an 8 bit uncompressed sequence), or you will be in render hell.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mike Maloney
on Nov 29, 2007 at 2:26:33 am

"You'll be in render hell" caught my attention! After just switching from my trusty Cinewave to AJA IO, I found all the presets a little daunting. So, I've set my Easy's to Betacam 8-Bit uncompressed. We output to Beta for tv dubs. Thinking my sequence presets should be the same (since all our video is DVCAM) I set the sequences to uncompressed 8-bit. I thought my system was broke. I couldn't render despite hitting the render settings a couple of hundred times! (well, it seemed like it).

So, you're saying go back to DV/DVCPro sequences? That way I can still OUTPUT to Beta, but keep life simple in DV???

I REALLY appreciate your suggestion.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 30, 2007 at 8:13:48 pm

I can't answer your question. In my opinion, firewire from a VTR or camera should NEVER be used.

If you have captured your DVCam material with a professional VTR (DSR-40, DSR-45, DSR-60, DSR-80, DSR1600, DSR1800, DSR2000, or the newer HVR-1500), you can input your material thru the I/O, I/O LA, I/O HD, or Kona series via analog composite, analog component, SDI, or HD-SDI (depending on your VTR). You can use 8 bit uncompressed (not DV-NTSC), or if you don't care about quality, you can capture (for example) Betacam 8 bit uncompressed to DV (which will make your sequence DV25). You can then do whatever you want, and never have to render. The MINUTE you start dealing with firewire input, you are in render hell. Every PROFESSIONAL VTR from every manufacturer (Sony, Panasonic, JVC, etc) has regular assorted outputs to go into regular assorted PROFESSIONAL inputs of products from AJA, Blackmagic, AVID, Matrox, and the older CineWave, and Aurora. If you act like a pro, you will get professional results. Deal with firewire, and you will suffer.

Your Cinewave was wonderful, and now the AJA I/O is wonderful. You can operate at 8 bit uncompressed, or DV/DVCPro50, or any damn thing you like. Just choose an easy setup, but not DV-NTSC (which will select firewire). You own a wonderful AJA box - use it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jose pantin
on Dec 1, 2007 at 1:15:07 pm

Hello Bob,

I use a package with a Power Mac dual, 4 G RAM, an AJA OI box, and SATA drives (one 400 G and two 250 G), I bought from a reputed US dealer. It also has a Sony DSR-45 VTR, connected via analog component to the OI, like it was setup for me in 2004.

Using AJA Betacam 10 bit uncompressed easy setup is the only way I get the same brightness in my monitor with the tape running or stopped (I don't know if it really matters). The monitor is connected via S-video from the IO, because I have all component connectors busy in/out to the VTR.

Up until now, I

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 1, 2007 at 3:38:29 pm

Jose writes -

Using AJA Betacam 10 bit uncompressed easy setup is the only way I get the same brightness in my monitor with the tape running or stopped (I don't know if it really matters). The monitor is connected via S-video from the IO, because I have all component connectors busy in/out to the VTR.
But, now I have to begin saving some disk space while still maintaining good broadcast quality. But with any other setup I

Return to posts index

jose pantin
on Dec 1, 2007 at 4:12:23 pm

Many thanks, Bob,
Your reply has been very helpful.

Return to posts index

jose pantin
on Dec 1, 2007 at 6:32:41 pm

Hello Bob,

I've setup capture settings (in the compressor, digitalizer and input of the QuickTime settings) from 10 bit uncompressed to 8 bit uncompressed.

Also I

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 4, 2007 at 12:11:21 am

I don't know the answer to this.
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jose pantin
on Dec 4, 2007 at 1:56:02 am

Thanks, anyway.

The only way I've found around this problem is to process video in RGB. I have no idea why. All the best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]