FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA IO HD A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
drazen
AJA IO HD A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS
on Nov 19, 2007 at 5:29:35 pm

Hi,

I am getting into investing into a viable monitoring/capturing device, since my MATROX MXO doesn't cut it for me no more - plenty of issues I won't be getting into right now. I laid my eyes upon AJA IOHD But before paying big bucks I want to make sure of a couple of things:

1. Is AJA IOHD is very reliable for printing to digi beta via SDI?
2. 90 percent of all my footage is on DVCPROHD, do I get any hardware acceleration when using AJA IOHD with my P2/DVCPROHD setup....or not?
3. I will be doing my grading in APPLE COLOR, does AJA IOHD gurantee me realtime monitoring in hd or sd - downconverted footage on the fly - since I can't yet afford a good hd monitor... I work on macintel 2,66ghz, 4gbRAM, ati radeon 1900xt....Will I have a reliable monitoring solution in sd when using AJA IOHD...soon I will upgrade to hd...but that didn't happen yet...

Thanks for the input

Drazen

http://www.staderzen.com

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: AJA IO HD A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS
on Nov 19, 2007 at 6:12:12 pm

1) Yes. SDI and rs422. No worries.

2) No. What computer are you planning on hooking this up to? I will have more comments after that.

3) As of right now, Color does not support HD monitoring over firewire, only SD. So, you are in luck with SD stuff.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Nov 21, 2007 at 6:33:12 pm

Jeremy,

An interesting caveat to your comments about DVCProHD.

When FCS has control of my 'fresh out of the cellophane' IoHD its control panel reports that its framebuffer is in DVCProHD native mode. As soon as I make the control panel the front application, the framebuffer reverts to ProRes.

As it's prores I'm after and don't use DVCProDH at all I'm trying to get to the bottom of this with AJA support.

Alan in PALland

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 22, 2007 at 1:27:55 am

[Alan Lacey] "When FCS has control of my 'fresh out of the cellophane' IoHD its control panel reports that its framebuffer is in DVCProHD native mode."

you say that you are working in ProRes,

but this sounds like you are using converted from DVCPROHD native original (960x720) rather than captured ProRes content.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 22, 2007 at 6:23:46 pm

I agree with Gary.

It sounds like you are in a DVCPro HD easy setup from within FCP.

When you switch back to the control panel, the frame buffer is now expecting and sending ProRes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

drazen
on Nov 24, 2007 at 11:17:37 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the input and for clarifying a couple of stuff for me...

best regards

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 25, 2007 at 2:22:29 am

Drazen-

What kind of computer are you planning to hook this up to?

Return to posts index

drazen
on Nov 25, 2007 at 10:18:17 am

Jeremy hi,

I plan to hook it up into desktop macpro intel, 2,66ghz, 4gb ram, ati radeoon 1900xt, might be upgrading some ram if I realise apple color is getting hungrier than I first thought...

Best regards

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 25, 2007 at 6:00:56 pm

Cool. What kind of storage?

Return to posts index

drazen
on Nov 25, 2007 at 9:09:55 pm

Hi,

Concerning storage I have plenty of internal disk 2tb, made myself an internal software raid...external a bunch of fw800 from g-raid and a fast raid storage that reaches about 450mb/s read write in raid 5/0...got 2tb of those and use for high end work....

best regards

Drazen

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 25, 2007 at 11:56:36 pm

You should be good with the faster raids.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Nov 28, 2007 at 4:47:31 pm

I have a couple of questions concerning the IoHD and getting a deck. I've got a very limited amount of green I can spend next year, but I need to take the next step to update my editing system. I have a Kona LHe in a Mac Pro dualy 3ghz.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 28, 2007 at 5:24:58 pm

If you are working with HDV, I am telling you - GET THE HVR-1500. It will save your ass in the editing process. The HD-SDI will come right out into your LHe card, and you will have full RS422 edit control. Buy this VTR. Don't worry about the IO HD for now.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Nov 28, 2007 at 5:32:26 pm

Thanks, Bob. I had a feeling that's what I should go for, but I just wasn't sure if there were any hidden benefits to having the IoHD this early, especially working mostly with HDV. Thanks!

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
Followup question concerning ProRes and workflow
on Nov 28, 2007 at 9:26:10 pm

OK, I've spent most of the day reading up on editing with HDV and ProRes, and I can't seem to get a straight answer. Let me explain the main type of work I do, and then maybe that will help answer this...

I work mostly on projects that are extremely title and graphics intensive. Lot's of titles all over the place. We don't do a lot of compositing (keying) but we do maybe once a year. To a lesser extent, I have relatively simple projects that don't need many titles. Maybe some name keys and title cards at the most. My deliverables are typically DVD and DigiBeta for the title intensive work.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Followup question concerning ProRes and workflow
on Nov 29, 2007 at 2:14:39 am

make believe that firewire and hdv do not exist. You will shoot with an HDV camera, but you will use the HVR-1500, so you will capture in a normal compression ratio, that you can output to anything you want. You can use ProRes, you can use DVCProHD, you can use uncompressed HD. You will work like you normally work. HDV is for firewire capture, and you are gonig to spend $6000 for a VTR so you can avoid this.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
Re: Followup question concerning ProRes and workflow
on Nov 29, 2007 at 3:03:29 pm

Thanks for putting up with me, Bob!

So, even though HDV bitstream rate is essentially the same as DV (25Mbits/s) it's still slower in the long run, because of the transcoding out of MPEG that the NLE has to do in order to work with it. I think I've got it now. Thanks!

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]