FORUMS: list search recent posts

Betcam vs Smtpe N10

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peterd
Betcam vs Smtpe N10
on Nov 14, 2007 at 7:37:39 pm

On a AJA Io what is the difference between the Betacam and SMPTE video settngs setups? Which should be used in what circumstances?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Betcam vs Smtpe N10
on Nov 14, 2007 at 7:58:25 pm

It's pretty simple. Use Betacam when going to/monitoring material that will be laid off to Beta.
If you have a Sony CRT production monitor, you can also double check to make sure that it's setup to accept Beta or SMPTE as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 15, 2007 at 2:32:54 pm

SMPTE N10 is the output provided by all waveform monitor PIX MON OUTPUTS. You feed an SDI signal into a Tek or Leader scope, and the PIX MON OUTPUT gives you a Y Pb Pr analog component signal to feed to your TV monitor (provided it has SMPTE N10 settings like the "old" Sony PVM line).

In real life all VTR's use Sony Betacam format, NOT SMPTE N10, so I see no reason for anyone to go to SMPTE N10 for any reason, as you want to feed your VTR's correctly, and monitor the same signal. The SMPTE committee tries to create standards, and few Japanese companies listen to this (just look at what's happening in the current HD world).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 15, 2007 at 4:46:30 pm

[Bob Zelin] "In real life all VTR's use Sony Betacam format, NOT SMPTE N10, so I see no reason for anyone to go to SMPTE N10 for any reason, as you want to feed your VTR's correctly, and monitor the same signal."

Bob, this holds true for going to Beta, what if you aren't going back to beta? In my opinion, there's no reason to monitor beta if you aren't going to Beta. It's a Sony format.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]