FORUMS: list search recent posts

i/O HD & Canon XL H1

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory Dillard
i/O HD & Canon XL H1
on Nov 13, 2007 at 4:02:10 pm

hello cows,
does anyone have the i/O HD and a Canon XL H1 capturing via HD SDI? I wanted to know if anyone has noticed a HUGE difference in picture quality. I know that this setup will be ingested via ProRes 422 (HQ or standard), and that the audio isn't embedded via the HD SDI (not unless you have the Convergent-Design SI). Currently our setup is that we shoot to tape and bring in the footage via the KONA LHe HD SDI via the Convergent Design SI and the camera that we use as a deck is the Canon HV20. Our footage now becomes ProRes 422HQ and in my observation i believe that coming in directly via HD SDI is going to be significantly better. Also the footage is 24F.We capture via G-SATA drive as well. We want to use the setup in the field now when producing commercials, and shoot to tape as a backup. Back in post we can take the G-SATA drive and hook it up to our MacPro and start editing. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated if anyone has this setup.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

szumlins
Re: i/O HD & Canon XL H1
on Nov 13, 2007 at 9:55:52 pm

You need to bypass the tape transport all together to see any noticable difference. That means record direct to disk, SDI out of the back of the XL-H1, SDI into the back of the LHe card.

That said, transcoding on ingest from HDV to ProRes provides you a much bigger room to work in when dealing with compositing/graphics/color. It will not, however, make the footage look any better just by simply ingesting it.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
Re: i/O HD & Canon XL H1
on Jan 14, 2008 at 12:46:39 am

I believe the OP's question is how much better is the quality if you bypass the tape. If you come out of the XL H1's SDI during a shoot don't you bypass the HDV compression? Wouldn't you get 422?

Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]