FORUMS: list search recent posts

I/o storage

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
HDerrik
I/o storage
on Nov 6, 2007 at 5:24:05 am

Hi I just ordered my IoHD and im pretty hyped about the possibilities of usin it on my Mac Book Pro 17" 2.6Ghz.... but what about this firewire thing? There is no room in this baby for a Sonnet Tempo, and some other post says FCP wont work with 2 separate fire wire busses anyways, so I figure this is a good time to update my storage.
Does any body know of a good RAID 5 solution that'll work with my laptop and the IoHD?

Derrik

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: I/o storage
on Nov 6, 2007 at 12:45:32 pm

shove a Cal Digit 34 to SATA adaptor in your laptop, and use a port multiplier chassis. You will be able to do ProRes422HQ all day long.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: I/o storage
on Nov 6, 2007 at 3:48:40 pm

I am in the same quandary as to what protected storage to get for my MBP. Right now I have a 2 drive Raid0 array with a Sonnet Express34 card. It works great, but I need some protection. I have explored some options with the Sonnet stuff. It seems that I could get a Fusion 500P (5 drives) and run 4 of the drives as Raid 0+1 which will halve the total storage (4 1TB drives will become 2TB of protected storage) and it also reduces bandwidth. There would be a single drive left over for file transfers or whatever. I could use the D400RAID and do the same thing, but there'd be no extra drive. I could also raid0 either of those drives, but that's not good for traveling and on location shooting/capturing/editing.

It seems that there's no real solution that will allow you to connect a 4 or 5 drive raid with a raid3 or 4 or 5 level protection as of right this very minute. According to CalDigit's website, they seem to be working on a custom Express34 card that will connect to their hardware raided HDPro which sounds promising, but it's vaporware at this point. Also, the HDPro is an eight drive behemoth. Not the hugest thing in the world, but not exactly light and portable.

Anyway, if you find something, please let me know. For now, it's capture to a Raid 0 array and offload that material to a backup drive or two for me. Definitely not my first choice, but it's what I am doing. I am going to look at the Sonnet stuff as at least everything will be in one chassis. I could capture to a reduced bandwith RAID 0+1 array and then backup those captures to a 1TB SATA or two throughout the day.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]