FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI In

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lightshow
HDMI In
on Nov 3, 2007 at 4:42:58 am

Has anybody tried running a computer into the HDIO via the HDMI in at 1920 x 1080 60hz? I need to capture some software demos at a remote location, it would be slick if I could leave the Barco Image Pro HD at home.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: HDMI In
on Nov 3, 2007 at 11:39:00 pm

[lightshow] "as anybody tried running a computer into the HDIO via the HDMI in at 1920 x 1080 60hz? I need to capture some software demos at a remote location, it would be slick if I could leave the Barco Image Pro HD at home. "

It is my understanding that the IoHD conforms to the Video specs under the HDMI 1.2v specs
I know of no computer that can output a true video signal- nor do I know of any computers that use HDMI as an output.

While It may be possible to use a DVI- HDMI cable - most of the HDMI capable output devices ( plasmas for example) want a 25-35 hrz signal.

A Kona card set to Macintosh Desktop does this all day long, however.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

lightshow
on Nov 5, 2007 at 10:38:21 pm

Thanks for the input Gary...

I've got a Kona system, unfortunately the Kona desktop out has no OpenGL graphics acceleration, so moving graphics are very jerky.

I use a lot of Gefen switchers and routers that have HDMI inputs, so I have tons of DVI to HDMI cables and all the demo systems here have HDMI adapters on them. I was hoping I could feed 1920x1080 at 59,94 or 60hz from the graphics workstation into the HDio with genlock to feed the HDio at remote locations and also into the HD switcher I use on live events.

I demoed the new Gefen DVI to HD-SDI scaler w/ genlock (EXT-DVI-2-HDSDISP), but it doesn't genlock reliably into my HD Switcher or into my Kona 3. They are sending a new unit, but I'm skeptical at this point.

The Barco Image Pro HD here doesn't look good at digital resolutions past 1600x1200, analog to HD-SDI is OK.

It looks like I'm going to spend bigger bucks on the Miranda dvi-ramp2, which many of the networks use when they want to capture high resolution DVI to HD-SDI signals. It's too bad because it doesn't do anything else, where as the HDio would give me tons of uses around here.

Mark

Return to posts index

Brian Holmes
on Jun 25, 2008 at 8:40:53 am

Hi Mark,

I was wondering if you tried the DVI to HDMI cable and had any success, or did you go down the converter route?

I need to capture some footage from a computer via the ioHD, so any tips you have would be great.

Thank you,

Brian

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 25, 2008 at 1:35:07 pm

[Brian Holmes] "I need to capture some footage from a computer via the ioHD,"

you cannot do that with an IoHD.
AJA devices will only accept SMPTE standard video signals- this is best done in Hardware using a device called a "1024" to convert computer display signal to actual Video.

or use a screen capture utility like camatasia or Snapz pro.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]