FORUMS: list search recent posts

IoHD Storage Issues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rborroto
IoHD Storage Issues
on Oct 26, 2007 at 8:20:48 pm

We received a brand new shiny IoHD yesterday, and TRIED to install it today into a Mac Pro tower with 2 Gigs of RAM. No deal... the first shocker... you CANNOT use Firewire drives. Hmmm, that pretty much eliminates thousands of dollars worth of LaCie FW800 drives in my edit room. The next option? Maybe USB 2.0? Maybe SATA?? Can you have a RAID 1 with USB? I don't think so... Any suggestions from anyone when it comes to inexpensive HD storage (using ProRes 422) when using an IoHD ? Thanks..

Ren

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: IoHD Storage Issues
on Oct 26, 2007 at 8:48:34 pm

buy a $75 USD FW card- just like the manual recommends and you should not have any issues using FW drives.

I use FW drives with a xpress card adapter in my intel laptop and my IoHD.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 27, 2007 at 4:16:02 pm

on this very forum are countless manufacturers that are advertising SATA storage solutions. You see them RIGHT NOW to your left, and to your right, in the banners that are flashing away. ANY ONE of these solutions is better than your horrible Lacie FW800 drives for professional storage applications.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

rborroto
on Oct 29, 2007 at 3:34:05 pm

Bob:

1) I already own Firewire 800 drives, so I'm not reaching into my pocket for a new SATA host adapter or new SATA drives. Not everyone in this forum has pockets as deep as yours.

2) The LaCie FW800 drives I've used for years have worked flawlessly to help me complete countless projects without a hitch, so I beg to differ with you, they're NOT "horrible" drives, as you so eloquently put it.

3) Unlike you, AJA has provided me with a POLITE suggestion, use a FW800 host adapter, and I can continue to use my LaCie FW 800 drives at the same time as the IoHD. They noticed the frustrated tone of my questions, and understood my frustrations.

The whole point of contributing to a discussion group is to help others with your experience, or to ask for help from others when you don't know the answers. Instead, you chose to be impolite and snooty in your reply, and that does not serve the best interest of the anyone involved in this discussion.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 29, 2007 at 8:44:02 pm

Let me repeat my snooty answer to you. IF you are working in HD, with ProRes422 HQ, Firewire 800 drives or USB2 drives are NOT the answer for you. I say to the polite person at AJA that responded to you (about a FW800 card for the MAC Pro) - are you KIDDING ME ? This guy is working in HD !

Want cheap - get a SATA drive - want really cheap - stick the SATA drive inside your MAC. Want better performance - get multiple SATA drives in an external array. Want more expensive alternatives to this - use Fibre (G-RAID, Apple XServe RAID, Ciprico, etc.). And of course, old SCSI (8 drives minimum).

You want someone to be polite to you - use Firewire 800 - go ahead - you will FAIL, you will suffer. This is not a professional solution for working with ProRes422HQ. Neither is any USB2 drive solution.

I just gave you the alternatives that you can use - including the cheap ones (like internal SATA in your MAC). You want free accurate advice - you just got it. You want someone to kiss your behind - well, you got that advice too, and its WRONG.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

cofe
by
on Oct 29, 2007 at 10:38:05 pm

once a bully, always a bully....

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
Bob rules!
on Oct 30, 2007 at 1:01:51 am

You guys don't get Bob. His bark is worse than his bite. He's crusty and cantankerous, but donates a ton of time --unpaid!!!-- to help those less informed on this forum. And for my money, there are a scant few contributing here who have the credentials, experience, and "get it" like Bob. Go Bob - keep up the abuse!! You rule!!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 30, 2007 at 1:17:18 am

Hi -
I own a MAC Pro and a new AJA I/O HD. I have a lot of Lacie FW800 drives, so to keep using them, I bought a SIIG
NN-E38012-S2 FW800 card. It's a x1 lane card, and I set my Apple Expansion Slot Utility to x1 lane, but I am getting Dropped Frames when I try to do ProRes422 HQ. I don't understand why Lacie doesn't make a PCI Express card that works in the MAC Pro. Belkin makes a card, but damn, I don't think it will work in the MAC (it says that in their system requirements).

Well, you can try this -
http://sonnettech.com/product/tangoexpress800.html
But I certainly am not going to promise you that this will do ProRes422HQ with no issues, and I have no idea how it will perform with your Lacie FW800 drives.

And you mean to tell me that in all this time, you have NEVER had a Lacie FW800 drive fail on you - from either power supply failure, or heat failure. I'm sorry, but I don't believe you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

timothy reed
on Feb 17, 2008 at 4:31:39 pm

rborroto

I have a new mac pro tower and had to put 4gb to make it work well.
We put in 1.5 terra raided external hard drive and on a Sata and it works flawlessly.
one last thing - Do Not Hot Swap the AJA - it really doesn't like it.

Tim

Tim Reed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]