FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD IO issue

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john
HD IO issue
by
on Oct 23, 2007 at 5:34:29 am

Got the IoHD today, I ordered it after seeing it at NAB and plan to use it for portable HD applications in the field. We have two Kona 3's and love them.

OK Have had the HD IO for about six hours now and have experienced a few problems.

First I am testing on a 17" Hi Res MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz with 2gb RAM With latest OS 10.4.10, QT and FCPS2 as of today. With HD IO drivers 1.0 that came in the box.

First Problem: I took some 1080 23.98 UC Kona 3 footage and rendered it to Kona HD IO 23.98 ProRes 422 using the preset to have footage to playout. Using the IoHD control panel I set the Primary to 1080 23.98 and the Secondary 525i29.97.

After bringing the IoHD footage into a new project using the 23.98 1080 ProRes easy setup I could not get the footage to play out the IO or really play much at all without dropping frames. The Timeline was very slow to respond. It would play in Quicktime on the desktop no problem. I then saw the Firewire light go out on the front of the Io. I restarted the computer and Io and the settings for the Io were back to the Out the Box setting of 525/525. After changing the settings back to what I first had, they would not let me select the settings I had until I selected something else first, playback worked fine. So far I have had the Firewire light go out twice and have had to reset everything.

Second Problem: Using the same ProRes easy setup I am unable to capture from our HDCAM SR deck, although device control works fine with controlling the deck the timecode is jumping all over the place on a clip that captures fine with the cables moved over to the Kona 3 with a 1080 23.98 ProRes easy setup, so I don't think it's the deck. We use the deck all day with the Kona 3.

I am able to capture to the IoHD if I select uncontrollable device in the capture window and capture now, the footage looks great.

Is it normal for the Secondary (down-converted) output to display digital junk when capturing and to not stop until something is played out to it?

Does having the Control Panel open with FCPSP2 cause problems?

I will keep playing with it.

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: HD IO issue
on Oct 23, 2007 at 5:40:12 am

First, what kind of drives do you have?

[john] "So far I have had the Firewire light go out twice and have had to reset everything."

You know, I had this same problem and thought it was a fluke. I swapped with one of my own FW800 cables and all was well.

Fix that and I bet your problems will go away.

[john] "Is it normal for the Secondary (down-converted) output to display digital junk when capturing and to not stop until something is played out to it?"

If the firewire cable is coming out, this might happen.

[john] "Does having the Control Panel open with FCPSP2 cause problems?"

No, FCP takes control of the ioHD if FCP and the CP are open at the same time.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 23, 2007 at 10:10:35 am

[john] "I took some 1080 23.98 UC Kona 3 footage and rendered it to Kona HD IO 23.98 ProRes 422 "

Everyone is having issues with Files rendered via compressor to DVCPROHD and Some ProRes files.

[john] " I then saw the Firewire light go out on the front of the Io. "

Since you do not mention what type of storage you are using - let me be clear
-----YOU CANNOT use the IoHD on the same FW buss as your storage ----

"Using the same ProRes easy setup I am unable to capture from our HDCAM SR deck, although device control works fine with controlling the deck the timecode is jumping all over the place "

IF you have set the control panel to accept LTC timecode and you have 9pin deck connected this can happen- you have told the incoming signal that you want one timecode signal BUT Final Cut can only read the time from the deck, but it keeps trying.

As to the cable, I have not had any issues with the stock FW800 cable ( do not use the included FW400-FW800 cable for HD content)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

john
by
on Oct 23, 2007 at 7:20:10 pm

Thanks for the response. So far I am capturing to the internal drive, with no other devices on any other bus, the drive captures fine using uncontrollable in FCP and after one restart was working perfectly with timecode for a couple of hours until the firewire light went out again for the third time.

I am wondering does the FW800 bus go to sleep? All three times it has happened were during periods of inactivity, of 15 min or more, the computer was on and being used but not the firewire. Or does the IoHD go to "sleep" if not being used? Last night I put a clip on loop and let it play though and it was still playing fine when I woke up, thats why I think nonuse has something to do with it.

Thanks

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 23, 2007 at 7:48:05 pm

As efficient as ProRes is, I would not recommend capturing to your internal hard drive, especially 1080p.

Do you have your energy saver settings turned on?

Return to posts index

john
by
on Oct 23, 2007 at 8:57:17 pm

Yea I know 1080 23.98 prores is pushing it but it is working and able to capture and playback fine from the 5400RPM standard MacBook Pro drive. The main problem I am having is the flakey timecode and the firewire turning off.

I noticed by looking into the vent holes by the handle that when the IoHD boots up lots of the green LED's are blinking but then go solid except for one that keeps blinking AND when the firewire stops working anther LED is blinking for a total of two. If that means anything.....

Thanks

John

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 23, 2007 at 9:01:34 pm

Did you swap the cable yet?

Return to posts index

john
by
on Oct 23, 2007 at 9:08:12 pm

Yes I did and had one firewire light turn off with the new cable and that was on a eight core Mac Pro, so it is not the FW800 on the laptop.

John

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Oct 23, 2007 at 9:32:52 pm

Hi John,

Have you contacted our support department? They will be more than happy to go over your system configuration and help you get your Io HD operating correctly. As this is a new product, you may not find the answers you need on forums.

They can be reached at:

support@aja.com
+1 (530) 271-3190 8am-5pm PST

Thank you,

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 25, 2007 at 8:10:33 pm

Hey john.

Just curious, but what did you find out?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 23, 2007 at 9:39:00 pm

[john] "I am wondering does the FW800 bus go to sleep? All three times it has happened were during periods of inactivity, of 15 min or more, the computer was on and being used but not the firewire."

YES the FW bus can and does sleep in the laptops

"Or does the IoHD go to "sleep" if not being used?"

NO there is no sleep built into any aja products.

Look your pushing HD over a consumer bus- it needs to be treated with care, its doing a hell of a lot of heavy lifting and your treating it like a consumer DV camcorder.

Just because it makes life easier does not mean you take every short cut.

and you never capture video to the boot drive!!!!!!!!

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]