FORUMS: list search recent posts

fluttery looking motion?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peterd
fluttery looking motion?
on Oct 15, 2007 at 12:59:26 pm

I'm using an AJA IO. Most updated drivers and firmware. Capturing into FCP 6.0 with all the default 8-But uncompressed settings for component input. The video is coming in ok but when I watch it on a video monitor I see a little bit of fluttery motion on fast camera movement. It looks like the video is tearing very slightly but it's noticeable. It is the interlacing because I don't see it on the computer monitors. Is this something to worry about or not?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: fluttery looking motion?
on Oct 16, 2007 at 12:59:27 am

Are you sure you aren't staring REALLY hard at the monitor and noticing the interlacing?

Take a step back, as a matter of fact, take a few steps back and watch again.

Any chance you can post a few seconds of uncompressed video to download and examine?

Are you in an 8 bit timeline or a dv/dv50 one? That could cause interlace issues as well if you don't have your FCP6 prefs setup properly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Arniepix
Re: fluttery looking motion?
on Oct 16, 2007 at 3:18:42 pm

[Peterd] "I see a little bit of fluttery motion on fast camera movement. It looks like the video is tearing very slightly but it's noticeable."

This is an interlaced monitor (a CRT)? Or a progressive monitor (LCD or Plasma)? And what kind of footage? 30i? 30P? 24P?

Most likely, this is actually a fairly normal artifact of fast panning. All cameras will strobe when you pan too fast. Some cameras will show this artifact on slower pans than others. It's less noticeable with interlaced cameras viewed on interlace monitors until you really get waaaaay too fast.

If this is the case, You might want to experiment with motion blur to tone down the strobing.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]