FORUMS: list search recent posts

ioHD MBP hard drive setup?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Rosenfeld
ioHD MBP hard drive setup?
on Oct 9, 2007 at 1:30:16 am

Thinking about setting up a portable editing system based on a Mac Book Pro and an AJA ioHD (when it actually ships). I would want a large, fast external hard drive to accomodate media, but since the MBP only has one Firewire 800 port, and the AJA ioHD require its use, am I limited only to the Firewire 400 port for an external hard drive? Is there no looping option, or any other external hard drive option?

George

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: ioHD MBP hard drive setup?
on Oct 9, 2007 at 1:43:36 am

Yes indeed... take a look at an eSata card for your MBP, and eSata drives... they are faster than
FW 800... should be able to get about 100mb/sec throughput on them. CalDigit probably makes the best of these. http://www.caldigit.com

Jerry

Return to posts index

tobester
on Oct 9, 2007 at 3:54:49 am

Hi
I'm using the Sonnet Tech Fusion 500P, vai their Express Card

maxed out with 5 drives I measured 122MB read and 105 MB write with the AJA test software.

The express card has two ports and if you raided 10 drives together in 2 boxes (i believe you can do this) then it would be n just enough for single stream uncompressed HD.

The bandwidth limit of the ExpressCard then comes into play, which there is no getting around. The drives configured like that will do quite a bit more.

cheers

Toby Risk

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Oct 12, 2007 at 11:09:12 pm

Using multiple channels on the Sonnet eSATA card provides for more bandwidth, so you could actually achieve more by having multiple enclosures only partially filled. I also use the exact same setup as above and it works great for 2-3 streams of ProRes through the ioHD. I've even tested RAID10 inside a D400Q box from Sonnet and it works great as well for ProResHQ.

Return to posts index

cofe
by
on Oct 9, 2007 at 4:58:12 am

in addition to the above which is all correct!

basically you want an express card with an Sata interface. Either Sata or eSata.
search the usual Mac places or ask your local reseller.

Secondly you need an Sata chassis holding 2 to whatever drives which have a port multiplier build in. Because you only get 2 ports on any express card your chassis needs to support multiple drives on one Sata channel (=cable). So you'll be able to connect a max of 2 chassis.
I have the Sonnet express card and a chassis from a manufacturer in China (sourced through online computer shop in Australia) which holds 4 drives. Roughly 100Mb read and write on 2 striped drives (I only stripe pairs of 2 to minimize the lost of data when a drive fails but not losing half the storage through Raid 1/ Raid 5 is too much trouble :-))

Because the ioHD only works in ProRes anyway this setup will have enough speed to play 1920x1080 25p Prores (haven't tried higher framerates)

You can go for known and recommneded brands in all of this or if you confident enough like me to take the risk save a few thousand dollars (AUD). Above setup without drives (which I still had) = $AUD 530. Big tip!!! shop at PC stores as all the gear is much cheaper then going through the 'Mac' chain, and most likely made in the same Asian factory anyway :-)

Carsten

Return to posts index

rborroto
on Oct 26, 2007 at 8:08:34 pm

One bit of bad news, you CANNOT use firewire drives while using the IoHD !!! It came as a shocker to me, we got the box yesterday, and that unpleasant fact has been left out of the advertising.

Ren

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 26, 2007 at 8:43:54 pm

[rborroto] "One bit of bad news, you CANNOT use firewire drives while using the IoHD"

That is not what the manuals say - you cannot use FW drives on the SAME BUS as the IoHD- there is not enough bandwidth over a single FW bus to support any kind of HD or SD captures.

You can use FW drives as long as you add a bus to your computer- this is the same as with the SD version of the Io product line- there is no difference.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

drazen
on Oct 28, 2007 at 12:42:28 am

Gary hi,

You are saying:

You can use FW drives as long as you add a bus to your computer- this is the same as with the SD version of the Io product line- there is no difference.

I have a MBP 2,4ghz and I am wondering what doees that mean...can I connect the IOHD to FW800 port and a FW400 disk to a FW400 port and expext this setup to work....or not?

Or what would be a proper alternative? And is there any option how to connect both the AJAIOHD and fw800 disk to FW800 ports at the same time to my new MBP?

Best regards

Drazen

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Io HD storage information
on Oct 28, 2007 at 2:46:29 am

Hi,

The Io HD, and the orginal Io's, all require that they are the only device on the FireWire bus when in operation. This is on desktop machines, and laptops. Even though a MacPro or MacBook Pro may have multiple FW400 and/or FW800 ports, they are all being operated off the same bus. Therefore, a second bus must be established to connect additional FireWire peripherals, including FW storage.

All of these options are covered in the manual, on page 6 of the Io HD manual, which is available here:

http://www.aja.com/html/support_Io_doc.html

This is also spelled out in our website in the minimum system recommendations for Io HD, as shown here and elsewhere on the site (on the right):

http://www.aja.com/html/support_Io_swd.html

For using Firewire storage on a MacBook Pro, a sample of an ExpressCard/34 Firewire adapter can be found here:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278329

For even faster storage on a MacBook Pro, here is an example of a SATA ExpressCard/34 adapter:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_express34.html

To expand a MacPro with another FireWire bus, an example of a PCIe Firewire card can be found here:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tangoexpress800.html

On a properly configured MacPro, you can also expand the internal SATA storage and dedicate drives for media storage, besides using external SATA, fibre channel, etc.

As always, please feel free to contact AJA or your AJA reseller if you have configuration questions.

Thank you,

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 28, 2007 at 3:28:03 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/150/857381
from AJA directly.

Simply,

ALL computers have a single FW buss = FW 400 and FW800 use the same chipset in the computer, you need to add one additional bus via 3/4 xpress card so that you can handle the data.

Aja's Io product line can be the only thing on the FW buss.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]