FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio dropout in video output

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aztecmonkey
Audio dropout in video output
on Oct 2, 2007 at 1:43:52 pm

I'm running FCP 6 on a dual 3GHz Intel Mac, 10.4.10, QT 7.2

I have a Beta deck (1400A) connected to my IO/LA, and have all my presets set up. Before I switched to the Intel machine, I had a G5 hooked up to the same hardware and everything was fine. I can still capture just fine. The problem occurs when I try to edit to tape.

My audio drops out completely. It is inconsistent. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. And the audio drops out haphazardly, not at the same point in time. I've tried deleting FCP prefs. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling AJA v3 drivers. Unhooked every single firewire cable except the one going to the AJA box. Tried printing to tape, but get the same problem.

My sequence matches the AJA output settings (8 bit uncompressed). I've emailed AJA, but received no response. I'm about ready to chuck the thing out the window.

Any help is appreciated. I've tried to list all the pertinent info, so if there are any questions, please ask. Thanks.

- Rob

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Audio dropout in video output
on Oct 2, 2007 at 4:45:07 pm

2 dumb questions

did you reinstall the drivers after changing machines

did you download the most current version of the software for your computer?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Aztecmonkey
on Oct 2, 2007 at 4:55:18 pm

No such things as dumb questions.

I did uninstall, then reinstalled after switching machines.

Not sure which software you are referring to, but I have installed all the Pro Application patches to FCP Studio and am running FCP 6.0.1, and the Aja IO driver is the latest one they have posted (Io Driver V3 for Io/IoLA/IoLD (13MB ZIP archive) - Release Date 4/4/2006).

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 2, 2007 at 5:09:24 pm

[Aztecmonkey] "FCP Studio and am running FCP 6.0.1, and the Aja IO driver is the latest one they have posted (Io Driver V3 for Io/IoLA/IoLD (13MB ZIP archive) - Release Date 4/4/2006). "

the issue could be QT 7.2 if everything is up to dat

the V3 driver is only certified with QT 7.1

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 2, 2007 at 5:09:35 pm

[Aztecmonkey] "FCP Studio and am running FCP 6.0.1, and the Aja IO driver is the latest one they have posted (Io Driver V3 for Io/IoLA/IoLD (13MB ZIP archive) - Release Date 4/4/2006). "

the issue could be QT 7.2 if everything is up to date

the V3 driver is only certified with QT 7.1

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

Aztecmonkey
on Oct 2, 2007 at 5:16:46 pm

That's what I was afraid of.

As I understand it, to downgrade without reinstalling the OS, I run the 7.1.6 QT installer, then the 10.4.10 combo. Have you heard of this, or know of a more reliable way to downgrade?

Return to posts index

Aztecmonkey
on Oct 3, 2007 at 1:23:27 pm

I've now reverted back to Quicktime 7.1.6, uninstalled, then reinstalled AJA IO V3 drivers and still experiencing random audio dropout on Edit to Tape.

Anyone with any other suggestions (other than switching to BlackMagic, which I am becoming ever more tempted to do)?

Return to posts index

Aztecmonkey
Followup: Audio dropout in video output
on Oct 3, 2007 at 2:17:42 pm

My issue has been resolved, at least temporarily. Without any clue as to why the audio keeps dropping out, I am listing here the steps I took to at least make the two dubs I needed today for anyone else who is having similar issues:

1. Downloaded the Quicktime 7.1.6 installer, and mounted the disk image
2. Downloaded the OSX 10.4.10 Combo updater, and mounted the disk image
3. Downloaded Pacifist 2.0, mounted the disk image, then started the app.
4. Clicked open package and selected the Quicktime installer;
5. clicked the unlock button in Pacifist's interface, then selected the QT installer and hit Pacifists install button
5. Installed the 10.4.10 Combo updater and rebooted.
6. Downloaded the AJA IO uninstaller, and uninstalled the AJA drivers
7. Downloaded the AJA V3 drivers and installed them. Rebooted.
8. Opened FCP again and put Bars & Tone on the timeline, adjusting the audio levels for the Beta Deck
9. Laid down the slate and spot, followed by 10 second slug on the timeline.
10. blacked the tape using Edit To Tape, set my In point, then setting the Edit To Tape to Editing mode rather than Mastering, grabbed the timeline from the bin and dropped it on the Assemble Edit popup in the Edit To Tape window.

Pain in the ass, but after two false starts where the audio mysteriously dropped out again, I was able to make my dubs. In Mastering mode, the audio dropped out randomly 100% of the time.

Receiving no response from AJA to either my emails or phone calls, I am seriously considering upgrading my system's capabilities with another manufacturer. The IO LA has served me well until I switched to Intel. It may very well be that it is a hardware issue with the breakout box or even possibly the audio in cable has a short. I don't believe it is a widespread problem, and is most likely confined to my system, since there is no mention that I could find of anyone experiencing the same issues. But the deafening silence from AJA that greeted my inquiries was not reassuring in the least.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Followup: Audio dropout in video output
on Oct 4, 2007 at 1:36:25 pm

[Aztecmonkey] "I don't believe it is a widespread problem, and is most likely confined to my system, since there is no mention that I could find of anyone experiencing the same issues"

My first thought is WHY are you adding Pacifist to the mix?
you adding some 3rd part shareware application for app control in the mix, especially one not meant for video production environments

secondly- you never mention whether the video is fully rendered or if you are working from a standalone video file ( a simple solution when problems arise)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

Aztecmonkey
on Oct 4, 2007 at 3:40:21 pm

Why Pacifist? I found a post on apple's forums (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=886460&threadrate=1&messageid=4217942) and reiterated in a couple of other places, on downgrading Quicktime 7. All recommended downloading Pacifist and force installing using that. Considering that they claimed success, I decided for expediency to follow suit. It worked though, so it's not really an issue.

Secondly, I did fully render each timeline and also output each one as a standalone 8-bit Uncompressed movie, but with the same results.

I did receive a call from an AJA tech late yesterday who recommended zapping the PRAM, and uninstalling, then reinstalling the AJA firmware, neither of which I have yet tried. Zapping the PRAM seemed so OS 9, I never considered the efficacy of it on OSX. I will try these and post my results.

Return to posts index

Mattg
on Oct 5, 2007 at 4:58:51 pm

I've experienced problems with the current driver/frimware and quicktime 7.2 on 5 seperate edit suites. Downgrading the firmware to 3-7 fixed the problem everytime including yesterday when I was experiencing problems similiar to yours on my brand new Mac Pro. I am now running current drivers quicktime 7.2 firmware 3-7 with no problems.

MG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]