FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA IO HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
xtrmn8ngangl
AJA IO HD
on Sep 15, 2007 at 11:11:19 am

hallo, a friend of mine has ordered an aja IO HD in germany and was a bit scared to purchase it...he believes it will be coming in next week, but asked me to try to find out a couple things for him...

would he be able to benefit from the aja io hd if he works in uncompressed 10 bit 422...we both do not know much abou this prores 422 codec...
with the aja io hd can he hook up a mac cinema display and a reference monitor?
there would be no benefits from the aja io hd with a program like cinema 4d, except for the output capabilities of the reference monitor...
is there a blackmagic product that is comprable to the aja io hd? keeping in mind that the travalibility of the aja io hd is a big advantage becuase he does some jobs in africa...but also talked about a blackmagic card that does 4:4:4...

i hope i am not too vague...

thanks for the help...

aaron

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: AJA IO HD
on Sep 15, 2007 at 11:47:58 am

[xtrmn8ngangl] "would he be able to benefit from the aja io hd if he works in uncompressed 10 bit 422...we both do not know much abou this prores 422 codec... "

the IoHD does not capture uncompressed HD. 10bit PAL is fine, but only the only HD capture is ProRes.

[xtrmn8ngangl] "with the aja io hd can he hook up a mac cinema display and a reference monitor? "

there are not any DVI ports on the IoHD for a cinema display - video outputs only - a DVI connection is only available from the host computer.

"is there a blackmagic product that is comprable to the aja io hd?"

NO

and he should not be thinking about 4:4:4 for location work.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

xtrmn8ngangl
on Sep 15, 2007 at 3:36:32 pm

so is it a bad thing that the IO HD does not capture uncompressed HD. is there something that does...or is uncompressed hd unnecessary due to the prores codex...i think he will be wanting to work in pal sd. i mean until now all the work we have done together was shot on film and telecinied to beta for TV. we did however do one job shot in HDV, but i could imagine more such jobs coming along...i guess what im asking would be...getting the IO HD would benefit us by allowing us to capture our SD at 10 bit, and the HD in prores. i guess we could even do the telecines to HD and capture in prores and then just playout in beta..

thanks for the help,
aaron

Return to posts index

msacci
on Sep 15, 2007 at 5:50:26 pm

[xtrmn8ngangl] "so is it a bad thing that the IO HD does not capture uncompressed HD"

Only if you need to do Uncompressed HD. If you do, this is not for you. But ProRes is meant to bridge the gap between Uncompressed and DVCProHD. It is full raster and less compressed plus it can be 10-bit. Any compression is a compromise but this is a far less one. The mean benefit is this is an external box and it can be used with a laptop. So you get portability and adds ProRes capture to a lot more systems (G5s).

What keeps a small shop like mine from even considering uncompressed HD is the storage that would be needed to do multicam edits (up to 8 streams) right now I have been using DVCProHD but next concert will be done with ProRes.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 16, 2007 at 12:11:29 am

Aaron -
if you need to digitize uncompressed HD (or DVCProHD), you can get the AJA Kona LHe or the AJA Kona 3. These work beautifully for uncompressed HD. If you add an AJA I/O Box, you can upconvert any standard def signal to HD as well (the Kona 3 and Kona LHe will downconvert HD to SD by themselves).

These products have been available for over a year, and work flawlessly. Don't cry because the I/O HD can't to uncompressed HD. AJA has other products that do this RIGHT NOW. Anyone that is working with uncompressed HD has an expensive HD-VTR and can easily afford the standard Kona LHe or Kona 3.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

xtrmn8ngangl
on Sep 16, 2007 at 2:48:46 pm

ok to tell the truth i do no think we will need to playout in unkompressed hd, but my question is how big of a difference is the quality of uncompressed hd and the prores? we do work in musik videos but always down convert to uncompressed 10 SD...thanks a lot...

aaron

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 16, 2007 at 2:58:58 pm

aaron -
it is my opinion that you are not qualified to specify this equipment. This is an important decision, and an expensive one. Why would you take our word for it ?

You must see what ProRes422 looks like for yourself. You must go to a video facility, or a dealer, and see what Apple Pro Res looks like. The IBC show just happened in Amsterdam - why didn't you go to the show ?

ProRes422 looks fantastic. Some people will say it is not as good as HD, but this is a matter of opinion. Many people in Florida (USA) use Panasonic DVCProHD as their compression codec, and this is more compressed than ProRes422.

If you are familiar with AVID DNxHD (used on the AVID Adreanline product), the "look" of ProRes is the same.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

mrbeaucham
on Sep 18, 2007 at 3:52:45 am

I suspect there is a good chance it will work with a Cinema Display. The ioHD has HDMI in/out. HDMI and DVI use the same encoding scheme and can be used interchangeably without a converter box. The primary difference being that HDMI carries audio as well. Should just need a cable or adapter to use a Cinema Display. Can't wait to try it out. That is if they ever ship the damn thing.

-Erik Beauchamp

-------
[xtrmn8ngangl] "with the aja io hd can he hook up a mac cinema display and a reference monitor? "

there are not any DVI ports on the IoHD for a cinema display - video outputs only - a DVI connection is only available from the host computer.

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Sep 17, 2007 at 5:15:36 pm

[xtrmn8ngangl] "hallo, a friend of mine has ordered an aja IO HD in germany and was a bit scared to purchase it...he believes it will be coming in next week, but asked me to try to find out a couple things for him..."

Well, maybe it's just me, but I usually try to find out this type of information before I actually buy an expensive piece of equipment.

Specs on the Io HD have been available for quite some time, via Aja's printed ads & their website. They don't advertise it for uncompressed HD, it doesn't do uncompressed HD.

Is the ProRes codec good enough for your friend? I don't know. Only you or your friend can figure that out by looking at actual footage captured in the codec and used under conditions that you will be using.

Good luck!

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

gsummer1981
on Sep 17, 2007 at 8:08:50 pm

Hey all -

We are looking to use an IO HD for monitoring only on a Panasonic HD LCD. Will it be able to output uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2, even though it can't capture that? I want to re-emphasize that we will not be capturing or outputting, but simply monitoring on an SD CRT and an HD LCD. From reading the literature it seems that it can, but I want to be sure BEFORE we buy.

Thanks,

galen

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 17, 2007 at 9:00:20 pm

Yes. Uncompressed SD will work. Uncompressed HD will not.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gsummer1981
on Sep 17, 2007 at 9:12:31 pm

Ahhhhh. So in order to playback and monitor HD, we will have to work in ProRes. That is the highest quality HD codec that is suupported (lower levels of HD such as DVCPro are not of use to us)?

Thx,

galen

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 17, 2007 at 9:46:22 pm

Yes. Since the ioHD uses fw800 as it's transfer protocol, only lower bandwidth codecs will fit in the fw800 pipe. Uncompressed HD is just too big.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 18, 2007 at 9:37:10 am

[gsummer1981] "Ahhhhh. So in order to playback and monitor HD, we will have to work in ProRes. That is the highest quality HD codec that is suupported (lower levels of HD such as DVCPro are not of use to us)?"

Thats what the device was designed for, Capture and playback of ProRes.

On a note of accuracy - you should be able to PLAYBACK uncompressed single link HD from a suitable desktop (the computer would need to be fast enough to handle your data)

We will know more as the release nears....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

gsummer1981
on Sep 18, 2007 at 1:10:20 pm

Thanks, Gary. From my reading I understood that the device was being built around ProRes, but wanted to clarify that this was the "only" codec it would support. Sometimes people latch onto buzz words in their marketing, you know? I guess we will know more when it comes out, but as for our purchase I think we may go with a Kona 3.

Thx,

galen

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 18, 2007 at 1:37:54 pm

[gsummer1981] "but wanted to clarify that this was the "only" codec it would support."

No. it supports everything EXCEPT uncompressed HD that Final Cut supports.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gsummer1981
on Sep 18, 2007 at 1:57:47 pm

I think I created confusion with my use of quotes there. I know it isn't the only codec it supports, but it is the highest flavor of HD that it supports, which I'm sure is great for editing HD and amazing that it can be done on a laptop, but we need to be able to view and occasionally output 10-bit uncompressed.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 18, 2007 at 2:07:19 pm

Then the Kona3 will set you free.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 19, 2007 at 11:49:08 am

[gsummer1981] "From my reading I understood that the device was being built around ProRes, but wanted to clarify that this was the "only" codec it would support."

Let me make this CLEAR

Uncompressed SD content can be handled without issue.

***** The IoHD will ONLY capture HD content in ProRes. *******

Uncompressed HD has to be passed thru the ProRes engine so in effect it is still compressed.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Sep 23, 2007 at 12:07:30 pm

Sorry to butt into this conversation guys, but I am just starting to look at IoHD to accompany the top-end MBP, as part of a home set-up mainly using After Effects/Photoshop & some Premiere if it's support in uncompressed SD on IoHD? I come from a PC background, but used mac at university and feel a MBP would be my best fit as I start to work more from home and possibly on the move...Final Cut is not out of the question of course, but as Adobe have moved back into Mac territory and my familiarity with their suite I wondered if it might work with IoHD?

What else will I need in my setup to edit/composite uncompressed SD and possibly later ProResHQ 1080?

My plan is to get the MBP first, then later add SPDIF monitors and possibly a 24" Dell LCD for extra screen space and/or use as a HD ref monitor. Might have to get a 2nd hand SD CRT in the meantime.

What kind of external RAID do people recommend with this config? I'm unsure what this Expresscard/34 slot actually plugs into?...

i'd initially looked at a BMD Multibridge for i/o and monitoring initially, but it only works with PCIExpress...is this the same thing when used with an adapter? Plus if I went this direction then I'd have to go for FW800 RAID...is this better/worse/same as an eSATA RAID?

Thoughts guys? Or should I really be looking at a Mac Pro desktop? I'm not going to be editing uncompressed HD, so thought MBP would be best all round solution...

Sorry for multitude of questions, but I really want to get this purchase right...it's coming out of my own pocket!

Thanks.

*Production Studio Premium CS2 / *Combustion 3 / Mocha v1
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

nessak
on Sep 26, 2007 at 4:02:00 pm

Is it possible to mix ProRes and DVCPro HD on the same timeline and still be able to output via the IO HD without rendering? We are thinking of getting a IO HD primarily for monitoring DVCPro HD captured to firestore drives but we might need to capture HD every once in a while.

Also, anyone know a ship date for IO HD?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 27, 2007 at 11:18:21 am

[nessak] "Is it possible to mix ProRes and DVCPro HD on the same timeline and still be able to output via the IO HD without rendering?"

that would totally depend on the computer since that is being handled by FCP and not the Io
On a Quad desktop or better it is not an issue.

However you are mixing full raster and anamorphic content in the same timeline something that is full of issue and not recommended.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Oct 9, 2007 at 1:37:42 am

Io HD will capture natively: DVCPROHD, Uncompressed SD in 8 and 10 bit. HDV native, or convert it to your editing format. It will also cross convert 1080 to 720 and vice versa, upconvert SD to HD, and down convert HD to SD. ON BOARD the Box.. no need for CPU cycles to get in the way. You can feed it HD uncompressed, but it will turn it to ProRes.

In theory then, it will allow for more RT playback of ProRes because it takes the heavy lifting of converting ProRes to whatever ya want in real time, relieving CPU cycles. More RT should result. Dunno can't wait to get one and just test this theory...

It will compress Uncompressed HD to ProRes. (which to my old eyes is lossless) If you can't SEE a difference, a technical difference doesn't matter...

It will convert ANYTHING to ProRes... so if you have mixed formats, you'd use the Io to convert it to ProRes and NOT mix formats, which takes computer cycles away if you do. The only thing it can't do is convert from dual link 4:4:4.

If you need uncompressed HD, then you need a Kona LH. If you want all of the cross conversion of the Io HD, then you need a Kona 3 (which adds dual link 4:4:4 support) I've been working a lot in ProRes and it's fab. I can't see loss, I get more RT, I don't need extremely expensive disk arrays and am a happy camper. With the Io HD, you could output that ProRes sequence to ANYTHING except dual link 4:4:4 (Including uncompressed HD 10 bit) ... Last time I looked no TV network in the world can deal with SR anyway. The Io HD is a totally unique box, and only those who need to capture as uncompressed HD or Dual Link HD are the only people who shouldn't be looking at it.

It also has some ports that the Kona 3 doesn't... like analog HD and SD in.... S in... and HDMI in and out. DVI-D as well... It's a sweet box, and is also the only transcoding device that is likely to never become obsolete as busses get faster... it's not a card after all. Kona 2's are outdated because of this very thing.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]