FORUMS: list search recent posts

I/O for cc work on LCD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
StephenSF
I/O for cc work on LCD
on Aug 29, 2007 at 6:10:28 pm

I am a bit new to this. I was wondering, will the IOHD allow me to calibrate an LCD monitor for doing broadcast cc work, a la Matrox MXO. Or would I have to get a regular broadcast monitor for output?
Just wondered. Thanks

Return to posts index

Arniepix
Re: I/O for cc work on LCD
on Aug 30, 2007 at 1:10:30 am

you would need to get a regular broadcast monitor that has a blue only switch.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

StephenSF
on Aug 30, 2007 at 11:59:23 am

Err... A blue only switch you say... What's that then?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 30, 2007 at 12:43:33 pm

[StephenSF] "Err... A blue only switch you say... What's that then?
"

the blue only gun setting is used to calibrate pro broadcast monitors to assure that the color is accurate. Check your FCP manual for a pretty good explanation on how to color calibrate using the blue only setting.

Going to take a wild guess and assume you are new to video, because calibrating your output is pretty basic, but it is still not taught in most schools.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

StephenSF
on Aug 30, 2007 at 3:45:48 pm

[gary adcock] "the blue only gun setting is used to calibrate pro broadcast monitors to assure that the color is accurate. Check your FCP manual for a pretty good explanation on how to color calibrate using the blue only setting."

Right, ok. I checked it out now. Im a bit clearer.
Yes, you guessed right. I'm pretty new to this. I have been working as an offline edit assistant so the online world is something I'm having to learn about on my own.

Perhaps this is the wrong place but, one thing I'm unclear about is whether I would be better of getting a cheap broadcast monitor for doing cc work with or getting an LCD monitor with this MXO I've been hearing so much about (both in conjunction with an AJA I/O)

I should explain, the place where I work is currently looking in to setting up an online suite. We do only SD work at the moment but my boss wants ideally to have an HD setup.
Any advice appreciated.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 30, 2007 at 4:36:46 pm

[StephenSF] "he place where I work is currently looking in to setting up an online suite. We do only SD work at the moment but my boss wants ideally to have an HD setup."

the regular Io only does SD,
the MXO is only an output device and it lacks deck control so laying a time accurate tape off as master is really difficult.

the IoHD will be shipping soon and it does all that the SD Io does, along with FCP 6 you can use ProRes and DVCPROHD capture and playback for HD.

yes the IoHD costs 3x as much as the MXO, but you get real HD and SD content, with frame accurate capture or playback, with Digital and analog inputs and outputs.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

StephenSF
on Aug 30, 2007 at 8:40:06 pm

That's the one we were looking at actually, the ioHD.
What I was getting at was more to do with the output for monitoring. Presumably it would be best to get a cheap SD,crt type broadcast monitor instead of messing about with the MXO.
I was originally thinking we could use the ioHD in conjunction with the MXO, at least for the purposes of doing the colour work on an LCD.
Maybe it would just be easier to get a cheap broadcast monitor and go from there.
Thanks and apologies again for an off-topic post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]