FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help- can't initialize BetaSP deck

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall M
Help- can't initialize BetaSP deck
on Aug 21, 2007 at 2:04:30 am

Dear fellow COW members/Io users.

I have been capturing component video from BetaSP thru RS-422. I had to record some scratch narration so I changed my device control settings to "non-controllable device" in the log and capture window. Once I moved the tab back to AJA Io RS-422, I no longer had machine control. In fact I've done everything I can think of including trashing FCP prefs and reinstalling AJA 3.0 drivers- but still no machine control. I can see the footage and could probably capture on the fly- but hey... that's not the way it's supposed to work.

All my cables are plugged in, lights display properly on the Io, and I've restarted all components about 10x.

Is there some magic combination of turning on the components in a particular order or something to make sure I have machine control? Is this an FCP thing? I'm on 5.0.1. Sure could use some advice here.

Thanks very much.
Randall

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Help- can't initialize BetaSP deck
on Aug 21, 2007 at 2:27:46 am

Choose the proper easy setup.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Randall M
on Aug 21, 2007 at 2:36:52 am

Jeremy,

Thanks for responding. I have indeed gone back and chosen easy set up. Did NTSC US SMPTE 8 bit uncompressed as well as NTSC US Betacam 8 bit. Nada. Except this time I don't get the warning "Can't initialize video deck." It just opens the Log and Capture window and says "no communication" where my machine control buttons are normally.

Randall

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Aug 21, 2007 at 2:47:02 am

Cool, had to start there as sometimes it's the most obvious thing that throws me for a loop.

Open the log and capture window and click on the device settings tab. Choose AJA io Rs-422 NTSC or whatever is closest to that (not at a capture station now).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Randall M
on Aug 21, 2007 at 2:58:23 am

Yep- I'm there Jeremy. I have been in that tab from the get-go. I keep toggling back and forth between the non-controllable device and AJA io RS-422. It blinks in the L&C (log and capture) window but still no deck control. I'm starting to suspicion the RS-422 cable or the Firewire cable- but they are both brand new dawg-gonnit.

I was reading in the Io manual about Firewire conflicts during capture/playback. I have a caldigit firewire 800 drive plugged into the G4 laptop right alongside the FW400 cable that is communicating to the Io box. I've already captured from the BetaSP deck to the Caldigit Firewire 800 drive earlier today. If I had simply not recorded that scratch narration straight to disc, but it just doesn't make any sense why it's not giving me machine control now. Worst case scenario is that I have to capture on the fly. UG.

If you can think of anything else- please let me know. I already have a email sent to AJA support.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Aug 21, 2007 at 3:02:32 am

A ha.

As a test do me a favor. Save and quit FCP. UNhook you fw800 drive. Open FCP and reset your your scratch disk. Select the io easy setup and see if you can get deck control. This will confirm/rule out a fw conflict.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Randall M
Re: Help- can't initialize BetaSP deck. THAT'S IT!!!
on Aug 21, 2007 at 3:14:49 am

Holy Macaroni.

That was it. Machine control is back. But now the question begs, what am I going to capture to?

Can I just plug the FW800 Caldigit back in and go from here? Or do I need to consider one of those PCMIA card Firewire cards to avoid future conflicts? Seems like I read something about using such a device in another forum.

your thoughts? AND- THANKS AGAIN. Another COW success story.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Help- can't initialize BetaSP deck. THAT'S IT!!!
on Aug 21, 2007 at 3:30:19 am

[Randall M] "Or do I need to consider one of those PCMIA card Firewire cards to avoid future conflicts?"

That would be the easiest and recommended thing to do. For now, you can try to restart the computer with only the io connected and then open FCP so that the io drivers load first. Then plug in your fw800 drive, reset the scratch disks to them and see if you can 'trick' FCP and the io into working. If that doesn't work try it the other way around by quitting FCP and shutdown computer and io. restart the computer with fw800 attached. Then turn on io and open FCP. It's not something I would do on the regular, to reiterate, this is not recommended but it might get you through until you get a PCMCIA card.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Randall M
Excellent advice, thank you Jeremy
on Aug 21, 2007 at 3:58:49 am

Appreciate your help sir. Will get the card pronto. Can't live this dangerously with products due by the end of the month.

Thanks again.
Randall

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Excellent advice, thank you Jeremy
on Aug 21, 2007 at 4:04:54 am

No worries, Randall.

Good luck!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved