FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any ideas how to fix this?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adguy31
Any ideas how to fix this?
on Aug 8, 2007 at 7:42:13 am

Hey all,

Ok. I have a serious problem that is even baffling the people at AJA. I have FCP Studio 2 on an Intel Mac (Duo 3.0, 8gbs Ram) and an Io installed. I was having some major problems with Combustion on this Mac so I completely uninstalled and re-installed my entire OS.

Here's the problem (and, keep in mind this was happening before the re-install - I just thought a fresh re-install would alleviate the issue)... When I uee the Io, I open the Control Panel, make my settings for Analog video in and out, disable SDI and exit out of the Control Panel. Then when I open FCP the Io changes (for noe reason back to SDI). Yes, I have deleted the preferences for FCP and AJA as well as the .plist stuff, I have spent hours on the phone with AJA (Hector is completely baffld) and I even received a new Io to see if that fixed the problem. We have uninstalled, re-downloaed, downgraded then upgraded and still it is the same issue over and over and over again.

To recap, when FCP is not running and I adjust the Control Panel, I tell it that we are working with the Beta deck... everything is fine. Then when i open FCP the Io switches back to SDI for no reason and I cannot send the project to the Beta deck. I have two TV spots that have to get out by Friday and I am seriously concerned. Again, I am on an Intel Mac and didn't have this problem until I upgraded to FC Studio 2.0. There are no other QT components installed other than what comes with QT Pro, AJA and FCP.

I AM DESPERATE! Any and all advice would be welcome (except telling me to completely re-install my OS. I did that today and it is nearly 4am).

Thanks,
Seth

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Any ideas how to fix this?
on Aug 8, 2007 at 6:17:35 pm

When you open FCP, FCP takes control of the io, pretty much no matter what you do in the control panel, so it sounds to me like you are on an digital SDI easy setup in FCP. So if you need analog in capability, you choose the appropriate AJA io analog easy setup by hitting control-q. In your case it'd be something like AJA io, NTSC US Betacam 8 bit Uncompressed 29.97, or similar.

Also, do you have other firewire devices connected to your machine?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

adguy31
on Aug 8, 2007 at 9:20:11 pm

Done it. Tried it. Not a moron and know how to choose the right setting. :) We went through all of this with AJA and tried it over and over again. No other devices connected. It started working sporadically but will just have to keep trying to fix. Thanks for the response and I keep everyone here posted to see if there is something strange I come across. The AJA folks think it might be an issue with QT 7.2.

Seth

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Aug 8, 2007 at 9:26:23 pm

[adguy31] "Not a moron and know how to choose the right setting. :)"

I can't guess what have done and haven't. You never said you chose the analog easy setup so I assume the easiest. Usually it's a click of a button and I can't read your mind.

QT 7.2 has been problematic on other setups as well. Reverting to QT 7.1.6 takes a few steps, but might be easier than another full reinstall.

Have you tried setting up your own easy setup without the AJA easy setups, or is that something that you have done and not said either.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Lazar
on Aug 8, 2007 at 11:03:46 pm

I'm normally just a lurker on this list but I am wondering if you've tried downloading and testing with AJA VTR Xchange to see if you can access the deck. If nothing else it might help isolate the problem to FCP.

If you don't have it already, it's available here:

http://www.aja.com/html/support_Io_swd.html

Best of luck to you!

Michael

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 9, 2007 at 2:04:15 am

Boy, I must be missing something here in this post. The I/O works, the control panel works, you set the control panel to ANALOG (not SDI), and it works.

You then go into FCP. As you know, things like EASY SETUPS, and your last setting for your project take priority, so if you had Pro I/O SDI chosen, this would override the manual analog setting you made. But you know this, and so you are now in Pro I/O Betacam 8 bit uncompressed (for example), and now you switch back to the I/O Control Panel, and it's back on SDI ?

And why is this a problem anyway - what are you trying to accomplish? You can output from FCP to your Beta VTR without using the Control Panel, and you can output as a stand alone device with the control panel manually ? Exactly why is it an issue to be able to switch back and forth, so you can output to Beta ? This makes no sense to me - you can still output to Beta. I must be missing something simple here.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

adguy31
on Aug 10, 2007 at 1:44:59 am

Bob,

Unless I read your post wrong, I think you are missing something.

I go into my Control Panel and tell it I want to output/capture Beta (analog). I then disable all SDI settings. It is how I have done it for the last year and everything has worked fine.

However, here is the problem... Once I have made this selection (let's say Analog) the lights on the Io are set correctly telling me the Io has the setting I want and then I close the Control Panel. Then, I open FCP and tell FCP to use the ProIO 8 bit YPbPr Betacam setting or the 8-bit uncompressed setting. When I click Ok the lights on the Io instantly change back to SDI. This is a problem.

I cannot tell FCP to output to Beta if it is switching priorities. It is like something within the Io or FCP that is telling it to switch. So that is the problem. I know I can simply output to Beta via the connections but when the Io is prioritizing SDU there is nothing on the Beta tape (even the audio changes). This started when I changed over to FCP 6.0. I tried the VTR Exchange and it works fine when testing before opening FCP. I hope that clarifies everything because I think you read my post wrong or I didn't provide as much detail as I am here.

Peace,
Seth

Thomas A. Edison

Return to posts index

adguy31
Re: Any ideas how to fix this? FINALLY AN ANSWER!
on Aug 10, 2007 at 2:48:33 am

One more thing for Bob...

I have spent hours on the phone with AJA Tech support and they were completely baffled. And, I think what you were suggesting was over-simplifying things. You cannot open the Control Panel and FCP at the same time to change settings and there was no previous setting as we deleted all Prefs and had to start fresh. Even the Techs at AJA had no idea why the Io was acting this way because it is not normal

To all...

We (AJA Tech support and me) finally fixed this with a different workaround. When I do into FCP with the settings selected in the Control Panel and then it switches to SDI, I then have to open Log and Capture (even though I don't want to capture, only output to analog (Beta)) and then the Io changes back to my settings for analog. So it works. This is not how the Io acted prior to QT 7.2 and FCP 6.0. At least it works and I can select the Analog outputs and put these spots on tape.

I appreciate all who offered advice/suggestions and I hope if anyone encounters this scenario then hopefully this workaround will help you.

Peace,
Seth

Thomas A. Edison

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Aug 10, 2007 at 4:23:21 am

The other thing I don't understand is that all outputs of the io are active at all times, no matter what's selected for input. So even if SDI is selected the signal should still pass to analog.

Return to posts index

adguy31
on Aug 10, 2007 at 4:42:27 am

JeremyG,

Yeah, that's how it had worked before. But, for some reason this time it was causing no output to the Beta deck at all (video and audio). It was like it was stuck in some SDI time warp and nothing was working right. However, it is now and I am not going to question anything. :) Like I said, it wasn't working like this before the most recent install of software I mentioned. That's why I was so perplexed and came to the COW for advice since this was such a unique issue that AJA and I never experienced before.

Peace,
Seth

Thomas A. Edison

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 11, 2007 at 2:04:49 pm

Hi Seth -
I am just looking for trouble (opening up a can of worms, as they say), and I am glad that things are finally working for you. But with that said -

I don't give a CRAP where your Pro I/O Control Panel is set - your issue is that you could not output to your Beta VTR, because the input selector on the Control Panel is switching itself back to SDI ? Well, you STILL have a problem, because as Jeremy has just stated, the AJA I/O outputs EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME, no matter what is selected in the Pro I/O Control Panel - bug or no bug, composite, component, SDI, or SVideo - the Pro I/O Outputs everything, all the time. So, are you (and AJA tech support) telling me that once the control panel switches to SDI, you lose your Analog Component output that feeds your Beta VTR ? Then SOMETHING IS STILL WRONG, because NOTHING (other than selecting something like DV-NTSC in EASY SETUPS) should kill your output of your I/O. It is my advice to you that you should try your little test again (where your component output disappears), and then open up the Audio/Video Settings, and take a look at the last tab PLAYBACK, and see where that is set, because it is this tab in the Audio/Video settings in FCP that determines if FCP will output thru the Pro I/O - NOT THE CONTROL PANEL.

I am only driving you crazy, because I believe that we should not operate under the "voodoo" principal, but hard facts, and your Pro I/O box should NOT be losing it's component video output.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

adguy31
on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:52:31 am

Bob,

Sorry for the delay but I just saw your response.

I cannot begin to tell you what happened. I, too, hate the "Voodoo" stuff and this really seemed like it. Normally, I can view what is in my FCP timeline through the Io and out from the Beta deck. But, this time...nothing! Once I did the whole "Log and Capture" thing, the Io has performed like it has since I have been working with AJA. It's almost like the Io had to initially initialize and then it could work perfectly.

Everything is fine now and I cannot explain it and the AJA people cannot explain it. I followed their instructions to the letter when we were on the phone together. All the cables were exactly where they were from the beginning and I had all of the current drivers. Now my old Io stopped working and had to be replaced then I received the new one and that is the one that was causing all of the problems.

The good news is that everything is working fine now. And, for that last two weeks I had been wondering what that pain in my ass was and it wasn't until I saw your post that I realized what that pain was. :) The pain is gone now... LOL

Seth

Thomas A. Edison

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]