FORUMS: list search recent posts

V3HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Dooley
V3HD
on Aug 1, 2007 at 6:39:26 pm

Anyone see the ads for the V3HD yet? It sounded like the IOHD until I read that it converts everything to DVCProHD instead of ProRes (unless you want to I/O 10 bit UC SD, which it does). It's got composite, s-video, component, and SDI I/O for SD, and component and SDI I/O for HD. Plus HDMI out (and an optional HDMI to DVI adapter), extra SDI outs for SD and HD. It runs off of FW like the IOHD, and has 8 channels of analog and AES/EBU I/O, 8 channels ADAT and SDI I/O, 8 channels (embedded, of course, like the SDI audio) HDMI audio out. All kinds of other goodies, and made by MOTU, a well known, high quality audio gear company. Now if it only did ProRes instead of DVCProHD. :-) It also operates as a stand-alone unit for conversion, and supports FCP and Premiere.
Ed

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: V3HD- was referenced in thread below, oops!
on Aug 1, 2007 at 6:43:07 pm

I see the V3HD was referenced briefly in the thread below about DVCProHD.
Ed

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 1, 2007 at 9:10:33 pm

Hi Ed -
what is your question about the MOTU box ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 1, 2007 at 10:16:21 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Hi Ed -
what is your question about the MOTU box ?"

Other than the "anyone hear anything about this product?", I didn't have
a question, I had a comment, and perhaps some info on a product others haven't heard of yet. It would be nice to see some options in the FW I/O world. I like my IOs a lot, but I would have loved even more to see some options in FW products like there are in the PCI card realm. What I realy wish for, given the amount of travel I do with equipment, is an more pared down IOHD, an ala Carte version perhaps, like the IO, IO LA, IO LD did.
Ed (a wishful thinker)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 1, 2007 at 11:48:15 pm

So would the V3HD be more appealing to you, if they had an MOTU I/O LA version, that only costs $500 ? Because the current I/O LA street price is only $895.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 2, 2007 at 5:03:04 am

Nah, because I moved from Beta-SP (and the occasional CineAlta shoot)
to HDV. It's weird, but my bread and butter has been Beta for years, with
some occasional fun CineAlta big-budget music shoots and features. But I love my JVC HDV camera.
The 24 and 30P images are amazing, all my fears of artifacts and mosquito
noise have so far proven unfounded.
I think it would be incredible if the MOTU did ProRes at, say,$3,000; that would
make me sit up and pay attention. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an AJA
IO HD at a discount. I was saying that an ala carte system would be great. For example,
my needs are for FW in and HD component and SDI out (and maybe an SD downconversion thrown in).
Ed (selfish, I know)

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Aug 2, 2007 at 3:04:49 pm

The io-HD is pretty compact Ed, at 8.2"x12"x4.8", and I've seen advertised prices down close to 3000. Of course it's easy to advertise something not available yet at a low price, we'll see what happens when it's out. Oh wait, the release date was day before yesterday! ;-)

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 2, 2007 at 4:02:39 pm

I guess I'm a little spoiled (and a bit nitpicky here). I travel overseas a lot, and I occasionally like to, or have to, edit while away from home base. So I bring my PB, an extra
VGA/video monitor for filed use and editing, a 2-drive array, and either an IOLA or IOLD. Still wishful thinking on my part, but something IOLA size and weight for HDV would be
perfect for me. I'm not at all convinced that I need to use ProRes for most of what I do anyway. Editing long-form HDV (mostly 30P) projects has been straightforward for us in FCP. I *do* need a good monitoring and output solution though, which is why I've considered the Matrox MXO. I'm waiting for the "any day now" release of the IOHD to get a good look at it before deciding.
Ed

[David Smith] "The io-HD is pretty compact Ed, at 8.2"x12"x4.8", and I've seen advertised prices down close to 3000. Of course it's easy to advertise something not available yet at a low price, we'll see what happens when it's out. Oh wait, the release date was day before yesterday! ;-)"

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Aug 2, 2007 at 5:15:11 pm

An ioHD is still smaller than traveling with a full desktop suite. Make a little more room in your carry case an you should be good. You can have HD/SD/up/down/cross/ltc/rs422/hdmi/forwards/backwards/bnc/analog/digital/frogs/lions/tigers/bears in a design that's just a big bigger than an ioLA. Really man. Nit picky is fine, but you gotta realize what the ioHD is.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 2, 2007 at 6:18:08 pm

Maybe it's more than nit picky Jeremy, but the difference in size (the IO HD is about 3 times the size of the IO LA BTW) and possibly weight (the IO LA weighs 4 pounds, but they don't say how heavy the 3 times bigger IO HD is) could make the difference between getting a Matrox MXO (which is a fraction of the size of even an IO LA) and the IOHD. I have no experience with Matrox, but I've had great experiences with AJA's support, so I'd like a product from them that would do what I need and no more. I'll use my desktop system at home, so I don't need a one size fits all solution.
Ed (Ok, maybe I'm still too nit picky!)

[JeremyG] "An ioHD is still smaller than traveling with a full desktop suite. Make a little more room in your carry case an you should be good. You can have HD/SD/up/down/cross/ltc/rs422/hdmi/forwards/backwards/bnc/analog/digital/frogs/lions/tigers/bears in a design that's just a big bigger than an ioLA. Really man. Nit picky is fine, but you gotta realize what the ioHD is."

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Aug 2, 2007 at 7:01:50 pm

I'll give you 3 times the height, but that's about it. The footprint is actually about the same. It might be a little heavier, but the weight to performance ratio of the ioHD vs the ioLA is no comparison. I'd bet it's not that heavy.

The matrox is a small little box, but it's output only, no inputs and the sheer amount off hooking that thing up you have to do is crazy. It's DVI, USB, and audio, plus power. IoHD is a FW800 cable and power. It's a cool little tool, but not for everyone.

The ioHD is a great tool to have in any traveling editor's tool kit that's working with HD. Can't wait till it's out.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

msacci
on Aug 3, 2007 at 6:40:27 pm

Not sure what the point of comparing the size of hardware that is totally different. The IoHD replaces the Io and not the IoLA or LD. I would expect AJA to be able to cram all the ins and outs into a box the size of the LA.

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 3, 2007 at 9:01:03 pm

The point is (and was a couple of replies ago) that, as it is I cram so much stuff into my baggage, I don't know if I can cram something 3 times the size of my IOLA into my cases. Jeremy's right that the footprint is the same as an IOLA, but the footprint doesn't mean anything when it's the total size (and weight) that matters in a case. I also mentioned that I've traveled extensively with an IOLA or IOLD, and that I wished there was something for HDV that was that size. The IOHD looks like an awesome piece of equipment, and is clearly easier to get around with than a desktop, but it's still much bigger than what I *have* been getting around with, which maxes out my carrying capacity. That's all, nothing more, nothing less. I'm not looking for a magic box that does everything everywhere, which the IOHD appears to be (assuming that ProRes is the preferred ingest/editing, and/or ouput codec), I was simply hoping for something (small) that I could use for monitoring HD, and output, like the Matrox, but with an AJA sticker on it. :-)
Ed

[msacci] "Not sure what the point of comparing the size of hardware that is totally different. The IoHD replaces the Io and not the IoLA or LD. I would expect AJA to be able to cram all the ins and outs into a box the size of the LA.
"

Return to posts index

msacci
on Aug 3, 2007 at 11:44:19 pm

Maybe a IoHDLA/D by Christmas :-)

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 4, 2007 at 1:16:57 am

Or a 9 pound Mac Book Pro with built in HD I/O and fold out 24" monitor. :-)
Ed

[msacci] "Maybe a IoHDLA/D by Christmas :-)"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]