FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCproHD Support through I/O HD Box?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peacejames
DVCproHD Support through I/O HD Box?
on Jul 26, 2007 at 8:26:05 pm

I know everyone is wondering and no one knows because all the previous posts were before the I/O HD Box was available. Well now that it's out, At least B&H Photo Video in NY has it, Does anyone know if this box will support a DVCproHD codec instead of using Apple Pro-Res or is that all it will give you?

Essesntially, is there an "easy setup" for that codec uising the I/O HD box in FCP 6?

Matt James
Freelance FCP Editor
Denver, CO

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: DVCproHD Support through I/O HD Box?
on Jul 26, 2007 at 10:49:25 pm

yes, the I/O HD supports DVCProHD. This is standard. You are not limited to Pro Res 422.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 26, 2007 at 10:53:16 pm

Matt -
where did you get the info that "B+H Photo has the AJA I/O HD" - where do you see this, or where did you hear this. This is not accurate information.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peacejames
on Jul 27, 2007 at 4:56:55 pm

Bob, below is the link to B&H. I didn't see the "accepting orders" in the availability section. Sorry for the excitement!!!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496171-REG/AJA_IOHD_IoHD_FireWire_800...

So just to confirm, we are not limited to the Apple Pro-Res codec out of this box. We can hook up a nice HD-SDI camera input, and send DVCproHD to the laptop through the firewire?
One of my client's just upgraded and I haven't been able to do my own tests of the Pro-Res yet.

Thanks a lot,

Matt James
Freelance FCP Editor
Denver, CO

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 28, 2007 at 2:11:22 am

yes ! (DVCProHD)
bob zelin

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jul 30, 2007 at 4:59:57 pm

[Peacejames] "So just to confirm, we are not limited to the Apple Pro-Res codec out of this box. We can hook up a nice HD-SDI camera input, and send DVCproHD to the laptop through the firewire?"

Well, Bob is a LOT more knowledgeable than I in this area, but the response I got to this very question last week from AJA Sales was...... "we think so, but that's not been tested yet". It's my understanding that the box will pass HD through FW800 as Pro Res, and the laptop would need to transcode that to DVCproHD on the fly.

If that's not the case, I'm sure I'll be corrected in short order :-)

MOTU's V3HD box will do a hardware conversion from HD-SDI to DVCproHD and send it out via Firewire, but there is no release date so far for that product.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Jordi J Recort
on Jul 30, 2007 at 5:16:44 pm

well I asked this question to the AJA folks in the NAB and the answer was clear..

Only Prores...

the box has a build in chip to code/decode prores in hardware, so any input will be coded to Prores and the ProRes stream coming from the mac will be decoded to any output available...

The old Io boxes was able to do DVCPROHD navively...

??????

Return to posts index

Peacejames
on Jul 30, 2007 at 7:07:53 pm

That's what I thought and have been reading. It seems that the AJA I/O-HD only has hardware for Pro-Res and no harware for DVCproHD like the MotuV3HD does. I haven't had time to do tests on the Pro-Res codec. Do people like it compared to DVCproHD?

Matt James
Freelance FCP Editor
Denver, CO

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: DVCproHD - I am an idiot
on Jul 30, 2007 at 11:20:42 pm

Hello -
I have once again posted incorrect information, because of my STUPID assumptions, and I WAS INCORRECT. To my dismay, the AJA I/O HD will NOT support DVCProHD, nor will there be a selection for DVCProHD - for HD, only ProRes422 and ProRes422HQ will be selections - nothing else.

I was wrong. I am sorry. (and I am shocked) -

moral - never assume anything.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peacejames
Re: DVCproHD - I am an idiot
on Jul 30, 2007 at 11:49:46 pm

We all forgive you Bob! You have provided more than your share of wonderful information here and in the new magazine, for anyone to think that you're an idot. Appreciate your honesty.

Thanks,

Matt James
Freelance FCP Editor
Denver, CO

Return to posts index

john
by
on Aug 8, 2007 at 6:13:48 am

yes people love it, ProRes blows it away, I will never touch DVCproHD again.

John

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jul 30, 2007 at 7:21:18 pm

[Jordi J Recort] "The old Io boxes was able to do DVCPROHD navively..."

I thought the original IO was standard definition only. Where did you get that information?

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]