FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is AJA IoHD the best option to buy for FCS 2 and AE CS3?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
leonvisser
Is AJA IoHD the best option to buy for FCS 2 and AE CS3?
on Jul 20, 2007 at 3:48:33 pm

First off I am quite a newbie to this. What I want to know is what would be the most beneficial updrage I can do to my system for Final Cut Studio 2 and Adobe After Effects CS3?

I'm running a stock standard:-
Apple Mac Pro Quad 2.0GHz
2GB RAM
3 x 250GB 7200rpm HDDs
NVidia Geforce 7300GT 256MB Graphics Card
2 x 17" Philips LCD Monitors
Final Cut Studio 2
Adobe After Effects CS3

We shoot primarily on Sony HDV Cameras.

Note: All hardware is listed above, no decks or extra monitors.

Will a AJA IoHD be the best add-on? A better graphcis card? More RAM?

PLEASE HELP!!! IT WILL BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks in advance

Leon Visser
Magic Hour Productions
http://www.magichour.co.za

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
Re: Is AJA IoHD the best option to buy for FCS 2 and AE CS3?
on Jul 20, 2007 at 7:20:15 pm

The very first thing that you need is some sort of HD monitor. You simply cannot edit HD material without some sort of HD video monitor. Honestly, the same thing goes standard def editing too. You have got to have a video monitor. That little window within FCP is not good enough. If funds are tight, I would spend here before I spent money on an Io HD.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 21, 2007 at 8:52:33 pm

you need the I/O HD.

You need storage - I have no idea of what resolution you want to use, but you certainly can't use the internal hard drive of your computer.

You need an HD montitor. A Cheap solution is the Dell 2407WFP, which is about $660 US.

You can't monitor your audio from the MAC, You need some sort of speakers to come out from the I/O HD, as well as a way of controlling the volume of these speakers.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Jul 22, 2007 at 1:18:40 pm

Just a wild guess here, Bob, but I don't think the "3 x 250GB 7200" RPM HDDs he mentioned are all some raided boot drive. Two of them probably *are* for media storage. :-)

As for "needing" the IO HD, Leon, it seems like a useful tool (check out Tim Wilson's compilation of posts from many forums about it- do a search of articles, or it's mentioned today or yesterday in the FCP forum), but there are a few options for FCP and HDV (AJA has more, Blackmagic has some). Although I've been reading about recent driver issues with it, the Matrox MXO has been getting a lot of press for HDV FW ingest projects. It connects by FW so it can be used on different machines (like the IO HD), it calibrates your good quality LCD monitor for use as an HD video monitor (the IO HD allows you to monitor too, but I don't know if has, or will have calibration tools), and has output features (you'll have to compare with the IO HD to see if it has enough for you- the IO HD definitely wins for output options, but you may not need them all).
Ed

[Bob Zelin] "You need the AJA IO HD"
"You need storage - I have no idea of what resolution you want to use, but you certainly can't use the internal hard drive of your computer."

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 22, 2007 at 2:48:39 pm

Hi Ed -
you write -
the Matrox MXO has been getting a lot of press for HDV FW ingest projects

REPLY - I am not sure what you were refering to, but the Matrox MXO is an output device for a MAC with a DVI port. I do not encourange anyone to capture via firewire, even when using HDV, as there are countless better alternatives - and the I/O HD is just one of them, as well as other products from AJA and Blackmagic. If he does not have the money for the I/O HD, he can get an AJA Kona LHe, which will also give him a Y Pb Pr HD output to hookup to any inexpensive HD montitor including the DELL that I mentioned, instead of spending $1000 just for a Matrox output device. When you write -
"it calibrates your good quality LCD monitor for use as an HD video monitor " - this is not magic, and the exact same results can be obtained from any AJA or Blackmagic product. All in all the AJA I/O HD, AJA Kona LHe or Blackmagic product is a MUCH BETTER INVESTMENT. Stop this nonsense with HDV firewire capture - this man is a professional, and needs to use his tools in a professional manner.

Bob Zelin

FROM THE MATROX WEB SITE -

Matrox MXO is a versatile, all-in-one monitoring, output, and scan conversion device for the Mac that you

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Jul 22, 2007 at 8:44:50 pm

Bob,
Just because you don't like FW for ingest doesn't make it non-professional. I was referring to HDV FW ingest (so the ingest part is taken care of) and using the MXO for all the things I listed (that's what it was designed for). And lots of professionals use it (the moderator of the FCP-L list that you just joined, Frank Capria, for one, Shane Ross, one of the moderators of the FCP forum here on the COW, is another of the many pros that use it).
I'm not advocating one over the other (I'm about to buy, and I can't decide yet myself) just mentioning *all* the options rather than saying "you need to buy the IO HD". As for the other AJA and Blackmagic products, I did mention the companies had alternatives. I'm not 100% sure of this, but the "magic" of the MXO is that it does blue-only for monitor calibration. I don't think the others you mentioned do (I hope I'm wrong on that because I would really like this feature). Sure you can work around it, or sure you can use a CRT or expensive pro-series LCD with it, but if you're using a Dell (as you suggested) I'd sure like something with blue-only for that calibration because the Dell doesn't come with it by itself.
The irony here for me is that, technically, you could call the IO HD a FW ingest device (but I'm sure you wouldn't agree because you hate those!). :-)
Ed

[Bob Zelin] "Hi Ed -
you write -
the Matrox MXO has been getting a lot of press for HDV FW ingest projects

REPLY - I am not sure what you were refering to, but the Matrox MXO is an output device for a MAC with a DVI port. I do not encourange anyone to capture via firewire, even when using HDV, as there are countless better alternatives - and the I/O HD is just one of them, as well as other products from AJA and Blackmagic. If he does not have the money for the I/O HD, he can get an AJA Kona LHe, which will also give him a Y Pb Pr HD output to hookup to any inexpensive HD montitor including the DELL that I mentioned, instead of spending $1000 just for a Matrox output device. When you write -
"it calibrates your good quality LCD monitor for use as an HD video monitor " - this is not magic, and the exact same results can be obtained from any AJA or Blackmagic product. All in all the AJA I/O HD, AJA Kona LHe or Blackmagic product is a MUCH BETTER INVESTMENT. Stop this nonsense with HDV firewire capture - this man is a professional, and needs to use his tools in a professional manner.

Bob Zelin

FROM THE MATROX WEB SITE -

Matrox MXO is a versatile, all-in-one monitoring, output, and scan conversion device for the Mac that you?ll use in many different ways. Because it?s small and portable, it makes your laptop a mobile editor. And because it?s hot swappable, you can easily move it to any workstation in your facility.

Matrox MXO is ideal for:

? Inexpensive HD monitoring
? Frame-accurate, broadcast-quality HD/SD output
? Genlockable HD/SD scan conversion for flicker-free
video output of your computer desktop"

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 22, 2007 at 9:21:05 pm

Hi Ed -
since you have not purchased yet, and are still thinking about - think about this. You will be dealing with all kinds of media in your work. Everything from HDV, all the way up to HD-SDI, and all the way down to VHS. Your clients will bring you anything, and everything, and say "can you do this for me, can we add in this footage ?". The Matrox MXO is the perfect hotel room/conference hall product. You shoot your little video, dump to your laptop via firewire, and go down to the conference room, to do the presentation on the projector, using the DVI port on your laptop, and the Matrox MXO to get out to the projector or large plasma display.

But back at your place of business, you have EVERYTHING that you have to deal with. This is an AJA forum, but AJA and Blackmagic (and AVID and others like the new MOTU V3HD) are all viable choices for a new system purchase (as well as used Aurora and Cinewave cards from eBay). But not being able to input from anything but firewire - this is pretty short sited, as an investment.

And the pros you mention use ALL KINDS of formats, and have been doing so for years, in addition to firewire and HDV input.

Again, I am pro AJA, but if I was in a hotel conference room (like at the NAB show), what better box is there than the Matrox MXO ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Jul 23, 2007 at 2:03:07 am

Good points Bob, but not every professional needs to be ready for every format out there. In my case (and it appears the original poster's case) HDV is the primary format. For the occasional time I need HDCam files brought in, I can be better served by renting. Other than that, the IO HD or MXO gives the portability I might want since 35-45% of my business is overseas. The ability to edit in the mountains of Andalusia might outweigh having every flavor of HD input.
Going back to my original point, I was responding to your "you need an IO HD". No he doesn't.
Ed

Return to posts index

leonvisser
on Jul 23, 2007 at 9:20:43 am

Hi Bob

Thanks for all your comments and support.

So I'm opting to get the following for my Mac:

Blackmagic Decklink HD Pro PCI-X
Dell 2407FPW HD Monitor
2GB RAM (2 x 1GB DIMMS)

Do you think that this will be a worthy combination of equipment? Anything else?

Oh and by the way my internal storage is three seperate drives, one is my Mac Boot Drive and the other two are for Media Storage, also got a 320GB External for Media Storage.

Thanks very much!
Leon

Return to posts index

leonvisser
on Jul 23, 2007 at 9:38:11 am

One more thing:

We shoot with a Sony HDV V1. How harmful is it for the camera to use it as a capture device instead of getting/hiring a HDV Deck?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 23, 2007 at 12:11:54 pm

Leon -
at this point, I am going to shut my mouth. As your current choice is the Blackmagic Decklink HD Pro 4:4:4 PCI-X, you obvious goal is to choose the least expensive equipment you can get away with. I will shut my stupid mouth now. (and no, you don't need an external VTR to record the video from your V1 camera).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

morten Ranmar
on Jul 24, 2007 at 5:11:56 pm

I would be careful to use the camera for digitizing large sums of tapes. I had to change my PD150s tape mechanism after using it to digitize for a 35min. documentary.

- No Parking Production -

Finalcut Studio, Dual G5, Kona 2, X-Raid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]