FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with the io HD/workflow

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis07
Working with the io HD/workflow
on Jul 17, 2007 at 6:37:54 pm

Hey,

Im new to this site and still learning as much as i can about HD. I might be working on a project that will involve the io HD and i just wanted to make sure i had the workflow right. The project will be shot on Genesis and as well as the F900. They are talking about using the io HD on set, now from what i understand is that i will still need a VTR and some type of storage as well that will be run off a Mac pro? Is the io HD basically a portable capture card/device that will let me down-convert to ProRes 422? I could do the same thing with my desktop with a capture card right (but not on set)? Also if i do go offline with the ProRes, can i go back up with the io HD or one of the AJA cards? Sorry if its a rookie question, but i have been reading a lot of the post about the io HD and reading COWs article's on ProRes and i just wanted to make sure i had this right.

Thanks in advance,

Travis

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Working with the io HD/workflow
on Jul 17, 2007 at 10:00:18 pm

[Travis07] "The project will be shot on Genesis and as well as the F900. They are talking about using the io HD on set, now from what i understand is that i will still need a VTR and some type of storage as well that will be run off a Mac pro?"

most likely, if nothing else to satisfy the projects completion bonds.

Better question, what formats? since the IoHD can only handle single link HDSDI from those cameras will that be enough since most Genesis projects I have seen have been done as DPX and not tape.

"Is the io HD basically a portable capture card/device that will let me down-convert to ProRes 422?" yes it will allow you to down convert and / or capture to ProRes and it is a portable capture solution for FCP or using AJA's VTR exchange.

"I could do the same thing with my desktop with a capture card right (but not on set)?" yes, but why not on set? I have done this dozens of times with a desktop system.

"can i go back up with the io HD or one of the AJA cards"

yes the IoHD will work seamlessly with existing Aja Hardware.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Travis07
on Jul 17, 2007 at 10:16:31 pm

Thanks a lot that answered a lot of my questions, and i will find out what format sometime later to day. But i just a few more questions, now when using the io HD i will still need a VTR/Deck right or does the camera go straight in? Also to go back up do i need AJA hardware and the io HD to do so?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Jul 17, 2007 at 10:42:11 pm

Here's a link to the IO HD page from the AJA website:

http://www.aja.com/html/products_Io_IoHD.html

this should answer all your questions. BTW, the shipping date for the IO HD is 07/31/07-
suggested list price is approx $3500-

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 18, 2007 at 12:31:03 pm

Travis -
I know this will sound insulting (hey, this is what I do), and I truly mean no offense to you, but I cannot help but be amazed that you are being put in charge of a Genesis/F900 major shoot (a shoot we will rarely see in Florida), and you have no experience in doing this.

You can record DIRECTLY into the MAC Pro/AJA I/O HD/Drive Storage with absolutely NO VTR AT ALL. However if the disk drive fails, you will have no tape backup. I have a client - Golfweek Magazine - that shoots from their studio in HD, and goes directly into their AVID Adreanline HD, with no VTR - EVERY SHOOT. You can absolutely do this with your setup. However, the I/O HD will not do 4:4:4 if that is important to you (you are using a Genesis, and if you need better quality, you would be better off with a Kona 3, than the I/O HD - but I have no idea of what resolution you are doing).

As for backup of this media. Once your recording is done, you can get a second set of drives, and simply copy over the media onto the second set of drives, with just the computer and the disk drive host card, and no AJA I/O HD or any other AJA hardware - a plain mac with a disk drive card will do just fine.

Recording directly from the camera (or a video switcher) into the FCP/AJA I/O HD is absolutely an ok way to work - provided your disk drives don't drop dead.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Travis07
on Jul 18, 2007 at 6:21:12 pm

Bob,

Thanks for you input, i really do appreciate it. But hey everyone needs to learn sometime right? Thats why i am on here asking for advice so i will not fail, i wont be completely alone either. Its not my first time working with either of these cameras or in HD in that matter, but this will be my first time with new piece of equipment that isn't even out yet. With the information everyone has given me (including yourself) im pretty sure i have a good how this device works and i know how my workflow will be.

Thanks everyone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]