FORUMS: list search recent posts

IOHD proposed IO/Ingest station help please!

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Ratledge
IOHD proposed IO/Ingest station help please!
on Jul 5, 2007 at 6:11:51 pm

Greetings,

I admit this is beginning to go beyond my understanding, but I'm charged with setting this up, so please help me out if you can!

I'm trying to 'build' a more robust I/O station in our FCP editing lab and the I/O HD as piqued my interest. Mostly this will be used for ingest, but we may use it to archive projects on DVCProHD. However, I want to make sure that I'm not overlooking anything. Here's what I'm planning:

Input:

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: IOHD proposed IO/Ingest station help please!
on Jul 5, 2007 at 11:13:33 pm

Chris -
you could simply use Virtual Media to put this entire thing together for you, as Full Sail always does on the AVID systems (for example). I will create the proposal, and Virtual can get you everything you need, and make sure that it all works - but I will answer your questions below -

YOU WRITE -

Input:

Return to posts index

Chris Ratledge
Re: patchbay
on Jul 6, 2007 at 3:55:31 pm

Thanks for the reply, Bob. I was actually just reading some of your articles from the COW mag last night.

I was curious about the necessity of a video patch bay but didn't mention it, and I've actually been in contact with Virtual Media regarding an EditShare SAN/RAID setup, so I may contact them regarding this as well, but as a lowly lab instructor, the powers that be here @ Full Sail frown upon me contacting vendors directly, so I try to do as little of that as possible and as much research as I can on my own.

Additionally, myself and the rest of our dept. staff is going to have to know how to operate and troubleshoot this stuff to a limited degree, so I want to try to learn as much about it as necessary for our purposes.

You mentioned looking at the Sony HVR-1500 HDV Deck. According to what I'm reading in the specs provided by Sony, this deck nor the HVR-M15U will playback 720p HDV. We have had some students shooting with this format HDV and would like to have a way to get this in without them having to use their camera hooked up to one of our systems. The M25U offers playback and conversion to 720p HDV. It would be nice to have the connections on the back of the 1500, but we would like to have a way to get 720p HDV material in. How about the possibility of using one of the HDMI to HD-SDI converters from Convergent Design as you mentioned in the COW mag?

In my experience, if the gear isn't part of the open-house tours, brand loyalty or appearance isn't valued as much! Getting this kind of capability might elevate us to tour-worthy status though, so I'll take your suggestion and research the other scope manufacturers you mentioned. By the way, can you enlighten me on this new Vidscope-VX HD from Hamlet? Maybe we could consider that as an option?

Again, thank you for all your suggestions and detailed information. Hopefully more folks here on the COW can benefit from this exchange too!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: patchbay
on Jul 6, 2007 at 9:37:25 pm

Chris -
Hasn't Whitney setup an extensive Apple XSAN shared storage system at your facility ? I know for a fact that you have one of the largest AVID Unity installations in the United States.

The JVC BR-HD50U will play back 720p HDV. The Convergent Design works perfectly for this application, however the I/O HD will have HDMI input, so you can take the HDMI output of the JVC BR-HD50U, and go right into the AJA I/O HD. You can also take the analog HD output of the JVC BR-HD50U, and go into the analog component inputs of the I/O HD as well.

Again, you have people like Whitney, Mitch Pierce, and Bob Truett, all top professionals at Full Sail that can answer your questions as well, or better, than I can .

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]