FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6.1, HDV and Io

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Berger
FCP 6.1, HDV and Io
on Jul 3, 2007 at 9:09:51 pm

I just upgraded to Final Cut Studio 2 today and discovered something interesting. I'm now able to play out an HDV Sequence to my SD NTSC monitor via the Io. In 5.1.4 Io would pass the signal, but update only when you paused playback. Now it updates every frame during playback. The quality is nothing you would want to output to tape, but it could allow me to monitor and judge levels on my broadcast monitor and scopes. It also might be useful for output to tape or DVD recorder for client review (sort of like a low res review from my Avid and Media 100 days).

Lee Berger
http://www.leebergermedia.com

Return to posts index

BazinoZ
Re: FCP 6.1, HDV and Io
on Jul 3, 2007 at 11:17:15 pm

Yeah its great. I use it when doing colourgrading the HDV timeline although it would be even better it 'Color' could output thru it.

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Lee Berger
on Jul 4, 2007 at 9:25:02 am

I agree. What's the sense of providing a color grading tool that won't output to video hardware?

Lee Berger

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 4, 2007 at 2:50:43 pm

[BazinoZ] "although it would be even better it 'Color' could output thru it."

that is an apple enforced restriction on Color. It is not something that Aja is doing

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Lee Berger
on Jul 4, 2007 at 3:10:31 pm

Yes of course. That is what I meant to imply. It's somewhat similar to the way Soundtrack Pro won't use Io for monitoring unless you load a video file.

Lee Berger

Return to posts index

BazinoZ
on Jul 4, 2007 at 11:14:40 pm

... and here I was think Apple actually made it into the 21st century.

Here is a copy of my enquiry to aja

product: Io

Hello.,, when I use "color" and try and set the video output to the Aja IO it is displayed but it won't allow me to select it. Is this a driver issue and if so will there be an update to address this?

thanks

REPLY:

Hi Baz,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately Color is not support with the
Ios. I am not aware of any plans of to allow Color to support the Io
boxes or if it is even possible.

Regards,
Jim

Jim Schroeder
AJA Video Technical Support

Anything to push a product update

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 5, 2007 at 11:02:47 am

[BazinoZ] "Hello.,, when I use "color" and try and set the video output to the Aja IO it is displayed but it won't allow me to select it. Is this a driver issue and if so will there be an update to address this?"

This is not a driver issue it is a limitation imposed by Apple on use of the FW buss. It has more to do with the original workflow for what was Final Touch, and it not something that AJA has any control over.

Do you really think that the company with only 3rd party codec that is supported by Color ( that would be AJA) would not have access to the entire code base??

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Lee Berger
on Jul 5, 2007 at 11:30:38 am

I agree. AJA is a first rate company with outstanding customer support. If Color were capable of accessing Io, AJA would support it.

Lee Berger

Return to posts index

jamieworsfold
on Sep 5, 2007 at 11:12:54 am

Just out of interest, what is the quality actually like working in this way?
I've yet to upgrade to FCP6 and only usually use my Io for monitoring while grading. Is it good enough quality for that? Or is it not as good as an HD-SD downconvert?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]